Sign in to follow this  
jerjer

Survival. Not COD. -_-

In a zombie apocalypse people would most likely do ANYTHING if it meant there own life was spared.... without PVP this game would get boring FAST...

Also if you go watch the original Dawn of the dead they have "bandits" in that in the form of a biker gang and they have a gun shoot-out.. unless you have experienced a zombie apocalypse dont say "People wouldnt shoot each other in real life" because that is just plain stupid.

Edited by Steve Jobs

The mechanics don't really support banditry or stealing, or taking prisoners, tackling somebody, handcuffing them, whatever.

Simply put, if you are a bandit (meaning you rip off other players) your safest bet is to kill them first, because otherwise you are putting all your trust into them to not kill you in the process. (Yes I know there is a mechanic to lower/raise your weapon but it is pretty shallow). If mechanics allowed a bandit to run up to a player and restrain him or knock him unconscious, etc... then that kind of play might be more viable. You can't loot gear off of a player (only pack) that is alive - it requires consent of him to drop it on the ground, etc... the whole process is too slow and delayed and based on CONSENT.

As it stands you either grief or "roleplay" a bandit. Roleplay is nice, but it requires cooperation to a limited extent. Banditry and consent are oxymorons.

Plus while permadeath is a nice mechanic that influences player behavior, at the end of the day you will respawn, so when a player is faced with being robbed, you don't really have anything to lose at that point (since life with an empty bag is what you end up with either way).

If you are being robbed in real life why drop your gun? Well because you don't want to die maybe.

In DayZ situation? There isn't a lot of weight behind the decision making process. You can either go out fighting and end up dead with nothing, or (possibly) live and have nothing. So the only weight of the decision is your distance from the coast, which you may or may not care about.

We should also clarify that anyone who considers themselves a bandit in the sense that they loot players to further their own survival is roleplaying. The vast majority of people that would consider themselves a bandit are just playing deathmatch because there is no endgame and the people they're killing aren't in their guild.

Edited by Entaro
  • Like 1

Thread Closed dont need to hate more. got to much hated. get the hole community vs me.

hope you will be happy about this it my last Thread, have a nice day.

The game allows people to kill other players so it's going to happen whether you like it or not. I'm sure it would in a real zombie apocolypse too. If you're constantly being shot where you go then change your playstyle and adapt to it - the PvP possibility is what makes the game what it is in my opinion.

Edited by Abruzzi

Any sort of apocalyptic scenario would have people killing other people. It's inherent to the genre. The fiendish danger of other cunning humans is core to the dynamic.

But this is also a video game, where balancing of mechanics must occur, to provide quality, original gameplay.

Dayz provides that, until you learn that zombies are largely window dressing. And collecting survival supplies is so easy you will quickly be walking away from food and drink constantly, simply because you cannot carry any more and your tent(s) are overflowing. And that there is zero reason to interact with other players with anything other than a bullet. You don't need to trade with other players. Just kill them and take their shit.

Imagine if you were starving and suspected another player had food, but that if you just shot them you might destroy what they're carrying. And you only have a pistol with 4 rounds and are likely to aggro zeds if you open up first. Maybe you try to trade instead. Maybe you try to trick the other player into going to a safer area first, then murder them. Maybe you say screw it an open up, taking your chances.

That's the types of choices new players currently face, until they learn how easy it is to find supplies and how zeds are a nuisance at best. If this mod were creating those types of desperate choices for all players (survivor and bandit) constantly, it would be as special as it pretends to be.

It has huge potential, but currently DayZ is no where near as daring or innovative as it thinks it is. The quality of the actual pvp is the base ArmA engine at work and has nothing to do with the mod itself. Putting an emphasis on "gearing up" (like WoW-style MMOs) and having so many pvp engagments turn on whether you have military-grade weapons or not, completely de-emphasize what is special about the mod in the first place. The raw, should-I-or-shouldn't-I questions players need to ask themselves about approaching other players rapidly become pointless because of the ease of collecting supplies and murdering multiple other players from a distance.

Long-range weapons make that question pointless. Just shoot before the other player notices you. High-rof, high-capacity weapons makes it far too easy for someone to instigate pvp and just mow other players down. And make the zeds themselves a complete joke. The fetish for long-range, military weapons short-circuits what makes the mod special in the first place. And it points out the limits of real innovation behind the mod. It starts out strong and original, but rapidly becomes like everything else.

This mod could be great. And the presence of zombie-survival as a hook inarguably shows the desire for such a type of game this mod is in the early stages. But the mod does not, at this time, sustain that gameplay. It rapidly turns into a watered-down, persistent-world version of ArmA, with a window dressing of zombies.

Edited by jonahcutter

99% of the player who play Dayz are Call of duty like, awesome i find my gun, everyone i see is dead.WTF!?!?!

I'm a big fan of CoD, but I have never killed a person in three weeks of play in DayZ.

Statements like this will always be incomprehensible to me.

Mass murderers problem will have no solution as long as devs do not make it so that there is an hardly-recognizable detail that allow us to spot bandits (Blood-convered hands for example).

In real life there would be ethics to mitigate such behavior, and 90% of murderers kill just to ensure survival not for fun.

http://dayzmod.com/f...5-zedsdeadbaby/

Banditry and murder rates are at an all-time low right now, and trends indicate they are falling.

17% of players are bandits. Not 40%, not 60% and sure as holy fuck not 99%.

Let me guess, your experiences in the game are mostly centered around Cherno and Elektro? Your brilliant analysis based upon the last 10 spawns where you sprinted headlong into the middle of Cherno with 15 zombies on your ass and ran into the fire station hoping to get lucky and find an AK but instead found a winchester slug in the face?

The fact is you're probably the one playing the game like CoD. Run-and-gun and hope to gear up as quickly as you can.

Well, sorry. That's not going to work.

Get off the coast, get your head down and shut your mouth and the game will stop feeling like CoD and start feeling like DayZ again.

It's that simple, really.

In real life there would be ethics to mitigate such behavior, and 90% of murderers kill just to ensure survival not for fun.

Ethics are largely cultural. And culture is pretty much fucked at the moment.

The moral correctness of things like rape, human sacrifice, infanticide, slavery, kidnapping, child abuse, etc. have all changed a great deal over time and between cultures.

One can assume that when all of civilization falls apart and ceases to function, things might change a little bit too.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 1

The main problem is the Game itself, to be honest, i would not call myself a bandit, but i often catch myself sniping people in cherno, just out of pure boredom, so i might die and can start again. because after you got the best gear possible (its not hard), all you can do is pretty much kill people, or you run around bored, since the zombies are no real threat in the game.

make zombies and surviving harder :(

The main problem is the Game itself, to be honest, i would not call myself a bandit, but i often catch myself sniping people in cherno, just out of pure boredom, so i might die and can start again. because after you got the best gear possible (its not hard), all you can do is pretty much kill people, or you run around bored, since the zombies are no real threat in the game.

make zombies and surviving harder :(

Yeah, the mod puts too much of an emphasis on getting l33t gear (and things like tents that trivialize death), and not enough of a continuing emphasis on surviving moment-to-moment/day-to-day.

It starts out really strong, but doesn't sustain it.

Edited by jonahcutter

If this were a real apocalypse, I don't see people acting any different.

Killing other survivors and stealing all their stuff.

At best they might hold someone at gun point, steal all their belongings, then let them go.

Which in a sense is almost the same as condemning them to death.

Wow you really think that the people you know would behave like that if it would be real?

I think that would be pretty dumb to shoot everyone If it were real . As every Survivor could kill zombies.

Which would lead to less zombies. People would even need to protect each other because while some would do farmwork the others would need to watch that no zombies come close. As you could not live for many years only from canned beans. Especially since they would run out pretty fast.