Sign in to follow this  
JD_274

The solution to murdering bandits and griefers

As of late it seems like many people have been having problems concerning people RDMing them and bandits getting away seemingly scot-free with their underhanded deeds. Sure we could reintroduce a bandit skin, but Rocket has no interested in that, and we certainly can't make you start out with a weapon, because it would make it too easy for new players to endlessly RDM whoever they please. But what if we were able to alert our fellow scavengers of the cruel and wicked that roam Chernarus?

What if the game had a commonly occuring raggedy old notebook that would have a "list of names and descriptions" of many other scavengers as well as any unsavory deeds they had committed?

2ir6g00.jpg

The Notebook

The way this notebook would actually work in-game is say you happen to pick up this notebook. At first you can't really do much with it, it just takes up space in your inventory. Then suddenly, a bandit chooses to plug you in the skull and you fall face-first into the dirt. The moment you fall, you are given a simple prompt: "Write down your killer's name? Y/N" The moment this happens, you submit a death under that user's name, lowering his "Trustworthyness"

Now that's all well and dandy, you lowered the guy's "Trustworthyness" score, but how the heck's anyone supposed to know that? That's where the notebook's second function is revealed. This time, say you're trekking along Chernarus, and then with a pair of binocs, you spot another scavenger. Normally when you spot him, you'd just see his username in a default green color. BUT, now that you're in possession of the notebook, you seem to "recognize him from one of the pages you've read", and suddenly you see his name is no longer a default green, but a bright red.

The Hue System

Now that we've established that upon death you are able to lower you killer's "Trustworthyness" Score and that the notebook allows you to see player names in a different hue, how does this all tie in together?

Simple my Emma Watson, players in possession of this notebook now know how naughty (or nice) you've been while in Chernarus! Let me elaborate:

BLUE - Players with a blue hue on their name are few and the proud who have abstained from taking the lives of their fellow men and have chosen the honorable path of scavenging (By graverobbing)

Literally means they have killed 0 people since the notebook was last updated

GREEN - Players with a green hue on their name have seen some action. Be it by self defense or a kill out of desperation, it seems they have crossed paths with another soul, and come out the victor, but at what cost?

These players have killed 1-2 people since the notebook was last updated

YELLOW - Players with a yellow hue to their name are seasoned fighters. With more kills than heads on their shoulders, it makes you wonder, "Can I really trust him?"

These players have killed 3-5 people since the notebook was last updated

ORANGE* - Players with an orange hue to their name have gained notoriety through the dead. Be wary with these mother hubbards, they're just as likely to help you as they are to plug you in the back of the skull.

These players have killed 6-9 people since the notebook was last updated

RED* - Players with a red hue to their name have earned the title "Murdering psychopath". Be it nerves of steel or a genuine disregard for human life, steer clear from these monsters.

These players have killed 10+ people since the notebook was last updated

(NOTE: Players a * next to their hue are unable to update the notebook, thus are unable to accuse others of killing them)

Now that "friendly, fellow scavenger" doesn't seem like much of a nice guy as opposed to a crazed killer, does he? Users in possession of the notebook will now have a concise way of identifying potential threats, as well as dispensing some user-generated justice to those who have wronged many with impunity

Notebook Updates

Alas, like many notebooks, things get erased and pages get lost, so to make the system fair and replicate this idea of "aging" the notebook shall have an "update" system.

The only way to make this fair is to say that weekly, 5 kills are absolved from user's records in the notebook, this way those who frequently kill don't start with a clean slate every week, and scavengers are better able to discern those who kill rarely, to those who have killed constantly throughout their lifetime.

And with that last section is my idea in it's entirety. Like always, feel free to comment or critique my idea in any way you'd like, but remember, it's merely an idea, numbers can be subject to change if you think the kills are too low or too high.

Edited by JD_274
  • Like 7

Will the in-game one have a watermark across it?

Hopefully not, I have plenty of dirty notebook pictures I can send Rocket for free!

Who has run across the same bandit more than once when they were actively trying to survive? (actively trying to survive here means that you don't keep running back to cherno/electro/nw airfield/etc.)

Not sure I understand your idea correctly.

Does everyone see a player in the same color? Is the notoriety a global value?

If so, how is that different from a banditry skin?

Edited by Attic

Who has run across the same bandit more than once when they were actively trying to survive? (actively trying to survive here means that you don't keep running back to cherno/electro/nw airfield/etc.)

This isn't just you tracking bandits YOU'VE seen, it's just tracking all of the people's names and their lifetime kills. The idea is it's a notebook left by some other scavenger (or scavengers) with "descriptions of other players". It's mostly for realism, but in black and white it's pretty much a glorified leaderboard.

Though wary of any idea posted that starts with "THE solution"

I've got to say I like this idea.

Though of course the color system only works on regular servers with tags enabled ( fair enough ) ,

I like the way it ties into the humanity system ( currently represented by heart rate).

If this could be implemented it could help increase the amount of survivor cooperation hopefully reducing the feeling that you need to shoot anyone on sight.

Pretty good idea actually. Make them a spawnable item just like the map. And in just the same way as everyone can see everyones notations on a map, so too are the notebooks linked.

Actually, it's kinda cool because players will actually start to make a name/reputation for themselves rather than just 'he's a generic bandit with a bandit skin'.

It absolves the banditry in defense thing if kills are absolved every few days. I.E.

If someone WANTS to be a bandit, then they will be and they'll have to kill regularly to keep that reputation.

If someone WANTS to be a neutral, dodgy, untrustworthy and backstabbing character well then hey, they can be.. But they can only do it every so often as they'll have to balance between becomming flagged a murderer and their backstabbing ways.

If someone WANTS to stay as a survivor then they can.

It would just be about tweaking the numbers required for status changes and rate of deterioration for kills for a system like this to work. (+/- if any other actions help deteriorate kills slightly).

Actually reminds me somewhat of the old UO murderer status system and that worked quite well. Kill a HELL of a lot and it's going to take a damn long time (sometimes weeks or months worth) for those kills to dissolve.

Not sure I understand your idea correctly.

Does everyone see a player in the same color? Is the notoriety a global value?

If so, how is that different from a banditry skin?

If you have a notebook, you see other peoples names in different hues, otherwise it's the default green color. This is different from the bandit skin because you never really know who has a notebook and if the player can see your own lifetime kills

• Like 1

^ Exactly how I perceived it too. No notebook and you're in the dark.

It's a cool idea, as long as the notebook is linked to the hive and thus all players joining etc.

Then its a very cool idea I actually think it's probably the best idea of possibly succeeding that anybody has ever suggested on these forums yet.

Watermark? No.

Bloodmark? Duh.

I don't fully get this idea. If you pick up an item peoples tags become different colors?

The first problem with this is that people have tags in the first place. I think you should be able to make groups, they get tags form a short distance and nobody else does. Kills like 10 birds with one stone.

If you have the notebook regardless of server type they could have an identifiable tag as such at a reasonably close range (just the same as the heartbeat is regardless of server type).

(i.e. short enough you can't just snipe through bushes by using the tags etc.)

The first problem with this is that people have tags in the first place. I think you should be able to make groups, they get tags form a short distance and nobody else does. Kills like 10 birds with one stone.

I understand your qualms with tags in the first place, however this notebook instills a sense of realism becuase it's supposed to be another scavenger's personal recollections of other players. That said, your character would be able to "recognize" someone by how they look and how "others have described him" because he "took the time to read the notebook"

Hows about when you kill someone you can pick up their notebook and it has the names of all the confirmed kills they've done in it.

User-specific notebooks would be too complicated and take much longer to code. Using a leaderboard-style journal drop eliminates the need of having 5 different journals for people who aren't even a threat to you anymore

Edited by JD_274

So if person A finds a notebook, later person B kills person C then person A's notebook changes to add the name of person B?

Is this supposed to be every murder on every server, or just the murders I have seen or what?

So if person A finds a notebook, later person B kills person C then person A's notebook changes to add the name of person B?

Is this supposed to be every murder on every server, or just the murders I have seen or what?

You misunderstand me, allow me to clear things up

This notebook, allows players to access a database that has the "kill accusations" of every player on Day Z. This information persists throughout whichever server you go into. According to the number of "accusations" you have, your tag color will change hue to those players who have a notebook because they "know" of your misdeeds.

To understand how these "kill accusations" work, read my OP under "The Notebook" subsection

Edited by JD_274

Are you a Death Note fan by any chance? B)

I hate to say this but it's a terrible idea, interesting and I like it but it's terrible for Day Z. Magical notebooks are not the answer. Replacing bandit skins with bandit tags is not the answer.

OK, you have my name...

Good luck finding me in a server with nametags turned off :P

Are you a Death Note fan by any chance? B)

I hate to say this but it's a terrible idea, interesting and I like it but it's terrible for Day Z. Magical notebooks are not the answer. Replacing bandit skins with bandit tags is not the answer.

But how is it terrible? The notebook is not magical, it is recollections of other travelers who have gathered information on players. What you do with the information (if you even find it) is up to you to decide what you do with it. If anything this supports the narrative of Day Z.

OK, you have my name...

Good luck finding me in a server with nametags turned off :P

Theres also plenty of servers with guns at spawn, I don't follow your logic

Really good idea, really unique, you got my beans and support

My point is this isn't going to solve anything, it's just implementing a system that writes down the names of the people who kill you. People will still murder, people will still grief

Also, the servers where you spawn with a gun are horrendously out of date and shouldn't ever be played on

My point is this isn't going to solve anything, it's just implementing a system that writes down the names of the people who kill you. People will still murder, people will still grief

But it doesn't just "write down the names of people who kill you" it actively tracks how many kills ANYONE has regardless if they've committed murders or not. If you find this notebook, you can actively know who you should trust if you encounter other scavengers. And that is only one of it's functions, you can't just say it isn't going to solve anything.

Interesting idea but many servers have nametags turned off. Nametags make it too easy for snipers and players to spot you.

If nametags took a few second to fade in then this idea would work pretty well.

Also, whats to stop people from constantly selecting yes even though they started the firefight? It would be pretty easy to grief this system.