Sign in to follow this  
JD_274

The solution to murdering bandits and griefers

This notebook isn't player-specific retelling of their deaths, this is a notebook is a collection of names written by arbitrary scavengers like yourself, who may or may have not written their last words on it. If your biggest qualm with my idea is that you can write your name down upon death, then assume you were describing someone before he chose to shoot you in the skull. The notebook isn't supposed to make sense in context of other players, it's supposed to make sense based on what you "read" of other scavengers. The "writing the name down" simply adds a feature to deduct from their score, it doesn't mean "Player A specifically read Player C's story on Player B before he shot him"

Just because this prompt is slightly unrealistic, doesn't make it magical, otherwise alt-f4'ing must be wizardry in your eyes

Wait! What? Are you talking about a notebook that no matter who where and when writes into it, everyone that finds "a" notebook can see what was written into the "other" version? Like the Journey Books in Legend of the Seeker? ^^

Sweet jesus, ok im incredibly relieved, because this is so hilarious it will never be implemented. Until now i thought i had to combat this..but now I see its just so unfathomably against the course of the game, that there is no threat in this being introduced into the game ever.

The Answer is yes, Alt/F4 ing is witchcraft and everyone guilty of doing it should be burnt at the stake. I'm serious Shock+Unconscious+Alt/F4 should result in instant death. But that doesn't belong here, now does it?

Edited by Golgo82

Wait! What? Are you talking about a notebook that no matter who where and when writes into it, everyone that finds "a" notebook can see what was written into the "other" version? Like the Journey Books in Legend of the Seeker? ^^

Sweet jesus, ok im glad now, because this is so hilarious it will never be implemented. Until now i thought i had to combat this..but now I see its just sounreasonably against the course of the game, that there is no threat in this being introduced into the game ever.

The Answer is yes, Alt/F4 ing is witchcraft and everyone guilty of doing it should be burnt at the stake. I'm serious Shock+Unconscious+Alt/F4 should result in instant death. But that doesn't belong here, now does it?

Okay, i'm glad you can poke fun at my idea, but the fact of the matter it has legitimacy in the narrative, you have no other arguments than "it is magical because you can see other player's statistics", pose no viable alternatives so as to progress discussion, and instead choose to nitpick at my argument so others bandwagon along with you and discount me as some loon trying to implement a "magical book" onto Day Z.

If you're so against players knowing the statistics of others, then I suppose you must think the "Leaderboards" button in the dayzmod.com must be heresy.

The idea to have a badguy ranking system is kinda cool, i think, but there is something which i don't like about it.

Imagine this:

I'm a bandit. Killed like 30 persons last couple of days. People really hate me cause i'm a Murdering psychopath that wears that red colored name.

But hey, i wanna quit to be a bandit and turn to the good side. With the weekly updates from the notebook it take like 5-6 weeks before i lose all murder stats.

I think that is way too long. That should be faster. What if you changed the notebook aging/cleaning to 6 hours instead of 7 days. Every 6 hours the kill number at your name in the notebook decreases by 1. This means that after a day you lost cleaned 4 kills on your name. 30 kills, like in my example, will take 1 week and 12 hours.

I think that is much better for the playability for this game.

• Like 1

The idea to have a badguy ranking system is kinda cool, i think, but there is something which i don't like about it.

Imagine this:

I'm a bandit. Killed like 30 persons last couple of days. People really hate me cause i'm a Murdering psychopath that wears that red colored name.

But hey, i wanna quit to be a bandit and turn to the good side. With the weekly updates from the notebook it take like 5-6 weeks before i lose all murder stats.

I think that is way too long. That should be faster. What if you changed the notebook aging/cleaning to 6 hours instead of 7 days. Every 6 hours the kill number at your name in the notebook decreases by 1. This means that after a day you lost cleaned 4 kills on your name. 30 kills, like in my example, will take 1 week and 12 hours.

I think that is much better for the playability for this game.

I can see how that would work. As I said in the OP, the numbers can be subject to change as per the community. Degradation of kills can be quicker or slower according to how people play Day Z

Imagine this:

I think that is way too long. That should be faster.

Which is why you maek it so if you kill other low humanity players it will return faster.

To those crying about "MAGIC" you are forgetting one thing that I mentioned earlier.

Your entire experience and LEARNED BEHAVIOURS in Dayz is "magic". As I said previously people have become behaviourally conditioned to shoot on sight because previously they have been killed on sight repeatedly when attempting to make contact or backstabbed repeatedly etc.

In real life there is no respawning, there is no previous experience of being killed repeatedly to learn by, the only experiences that can be learned by are those which do not kill you.

The game is built on magic and impossible conditions due to respawning and detachment between player and character. The game will ALWAYS devolve because of behavioural conditioning when the rewards for one action greaty outweigh another, this is not psychological rocket science.

The only way you could make the game avoid this, was if every time you died. YOUR memory of that characters life was erased with it. This is obviously completely impossible short of everyone playing whilst jacked on Flunitrazopam.

Thus you need to implement something to balance the rewards or createconsequences (or both) if you want players to make the decision themselves.

The reason I like the system suggested is it's very heavily borrowed from Ultima Online, which worked extremely well and had PKs fighting everyone (including people who would make groups just to go out and hunt PKs).

People shouting magic need to stop and have a good think more about why the game is detached and broken from the realistic part of the human psyche which leads it to devolve into what it is and why it needs a system to replace that which it cannot replicate.

Building bases practically already exists with tent camps. They'll just become underground or fortified or whatever.

But hey either way I personally will PK/Bandit (But will continue to aid the unarmed) because that's just what I've done in MMOs/RPGs (PvP, not grief). But the game *does* need a system.