SolarClipz

Why is this advertised as a Zombie game?

If I knew a similar game that was all about a realistic apocolyptic survival with the junk like zombies removed, I'd be playing that instead.

If you have a PS3 you might want to check out a game on the PSN called I Am Alive.

The fact still remains, you're still trying to survive from players or zombies alike.

We would all like to hear your version of a zombie SURVIVAL game and please don't say Dead Island or L4D. Those games are straight up coop shooters.

trollface.jpg

http://projectzomboid.com/blog/

Enjoy.

It's nothing like those...because those are zombie games and this is a deathmatch game.

L4D isn't a zombie game, you could just replace zombies with aliens and it'd be the same game! /sarcasm

Zombies are just ONE part of the apocalypse. There's also supplies, territory, bandits, betrayal, etc. Just what have you actually DONE in DayZ? Because the complaints tend to come from players who have done jack shit in-game. "wahhh I was in cherno and some one shot me this isn't a zombie game!"

If you have a PS3 you might want to check out a game on the PSN called I Am Alive.

I do, but only for sports games. A true survival game needs to be PC IMO - you need that advanced inventory, you need the better graphics, mouse control etc. More importantly you need a developer who is open with the community, and a healthy update/patch system.

DayZ ticks so many boxes, but to me the zombies are a let down and might be why I eventually lose interest. They won't ever be removed like I hope (unless someone can mod the mod and create a Z-less server?), but realistically maybe they can be made to be the true secondary elements that they are. Right now they are simply not what keeps me coming back to DayZ, but they take up so much time and effort. It feels like having to play 30 minutes of mini-games before I can get to the real substance, like I'm stuck on a loading screen playing Pacman waiting for my actual game to load.

But then I've never been very heavily into the whole zombie thing, so maybe this game isn't for me, but it just comes so close and teases with all its other awesome aspects it's hard to accept.

Anyway I think the point of the OP was he is disappointed this isn't more of a zombie focused game. He's kinda the polar opposite of me - I'm disappointed it isn't a more survival focused game without the need for zombies. What we have is a game that doesn't really sit in either camp fully.

And I think he has a point. The Z's are not the focus of the game despite the name and art work. One would be tempted to say "put up or shut up", and either make the Zs a force to be reckoned with or get rid of them, but hey, DayZ is pretty damn popular like it is, so who am I to question.

I should consider myself lucky as I've never encountered another player wielding a sniper that is hostile (probably just jinxed it for myself). Also, IDK about you but the infected tend to screw me over quite a bit, but again that's just me. :P

I think the main problem is that zombies only exist in the cities. It makes it almost too easy to survive. Hunting knife+Hatchet+Matchbox = Infinite food+blood. No threat from zombies. This makes the only threat PvP. Add zombies to the countryside and you might fix some of these problems.

Just my two cents.

The game still in alpha, there's still a long way to be paved. We will definitely see some gamechanging patches in the future. Remember, although many people thought and desired a game like this, it has never been done before, so is basically the dev teams trial and error, to see what sticks, what is both balanced, realistic and satisfyingly fun.

I've buyed AmrA2 for ArmA2 quite a long time ago so liking or not DayZ makes no difference at all (of course, I love it!). New players who just recently grabbed the game just for DayZ tend to be much more harsh critics. They pay, install and get killed over and over and over, and because everybody gets shot on sight, especially in the exponential rate of popularity the game is, that's what the game is like right now! Obviously, they get frustrated and have plenty of complaint to do. Some turn to cheating, some abandon the game but the ones who get really satisfied are those who don't give up. It's a hard game after all. Like your gear so much? Set up a tent and trow your stuff in. Pursue an objective, like getting a sniper rifle. If that is not enough you can turn into a medic of the wasteland.

The fact still remains, you're still trying to survive from players or zombies alike.

We would all like to hear your version of a zombie SURVIVAL game and please don't say Dead Island or L4D. Those games are straight up coop shooters.

All they would have to do with this game is make the zombies actually threatening. When I see a guy being chased by 10 zombies, but has the time to try and shoot at me as he runs by, I remember that this isn't a zombie game. It's shoot first, ask questions later.

My point isn't how PvP is bad, I could live with it either way, it's that the zombies are barely even a nuisance. People don't team up to survive against the Zs, it's the other people...

Edited by SolarClipz

I think the main problem is that zombies only exist in the cities. It makes it almost too easy to survive. Hunting knife+Hatchet+Matchbox = Infinite food+blood. No threat from zombies. This makes the only threat PvP. Add zombies to the countryside and you might fix some of these problems.

Just my two cents.

What they need to add is random zombies out in the boonies and zombie "events" where a mass zombie spawn will happen and move into a city or some other location and wreak havoc on the people who are in the area. Imagine if 100+ zombies spawned north of the NW airfield and descended on it while a few groups of people are looting it.

Hilarity.

• Like 1

Idk, im still new, but I team up to survive. Me and 2 other guys were headed into Zelon last night to get guy #3 some basic stuff after his most recent death, ie alice pack, map, etc. Well for whatever reason, one of us snagged a zeds attention waaaay off in the distance, and not a single one of us had a weapon that is quiet. I had an Enfield, my buddy had an M249, and the other guy had an AK. Granted later in the game, with silenced this, silenced that, this probably would have been easy. But the guy who needed to go in for gear ended up having to run in while me and the guy with the M249 held down a field of zombies. I started with around 4 zombie kills and had 30+ aftewards. Maybe there was a better way, or hell maybe 10 ways, to handle that situation, but that shit was fun. In the end, Guy #3 got his gear while M249 guy died and I almost perished but scraped by with ~1800 blood til i got a transfusion.

Bein a noob may provide some extra challenge, but then again, dont try to make yourself some uber pro. Enjoy the game. This game is open ended, either find one of many ways to enjoy it, or stop playin.

On a sidenote, i created a positive feedback thread and got no responses, while the negative ones get tons of responses all complaining about how negative and shitty the thread is. Food for thought.

All they would have to do with this game is make the zombies actually threatening. When I see a guy being chased by 10 zombies, but has the time to try and shoot at me as he runs by, I remember that this isn't a zombie game. It's shoot first, ask questions later.

My point isn't how PvP is bad, I could live with it either way, it's that the zombies are barely even a nuisance. People don't team up to survive against the Zs, it's the other people...

The thing is that it's not just the zombies there are so many more things that needs to be done, you seem to forget that this mod is still in development, it has barebones features.

Features such as item/weapon maintenance/degrading system would do wonders, more map variety, a lot more zombies with better animation and AI, less chances of of obtaining high grade weapons and ammo and add in a good murder system that lets players know that you're either friendly or not but does not penalize players for being bandits. Those are just some suggestions and there are many more that can be added to the game without completely changing the whole concept, which is to SURVIVE.

So instead of whining what about coming into terms that this is still in development and you're just one of the 800K+ testers of this mod.

Also how is making the zombies more threatening going to change that persons attitude towards shooting you? and shoot first and ask later is a survival tactic.

Edited by jay.pis
  • Like 2

Hell, why are their zombies in this game at all? They literally provide nothing to the game.

This is a camp spawning sniper simulator. I was excited to finally find a true zombie survival game, but it's just another shooter deathmatch game.

I've played plenty of those and this one is no different, see a human, kill him.

Newsflash it isn't advertised and it isn't a game.

The thing is that it's not just the zombies there are so many more things that needs to be done, you seem to forget that this mod is still in development, it has barebones features.

Features such as item/weapon maintenance/degrading system would do wonders, more map variety, a lot more zombies with better animation and AI, less chances of of obtaining high grade weapons and ammo and add in a good murder system that lets players know that you're either friendly or not but does not penalize players for being bandits. Those are just some suggestions and there are many more that can be added to the game without completely changing the whole concept, which is SURVING.

So instead of whining what about coming into terms that this is still in development and you're just one of the 800K+ testers of this mod.

Also how is making the zombies more threatening going to change that persons attitude towards shooting you? and shoot first and ask later is a survival tactic.

...because if Zs were actually a threat then you couldn't just run with 10 of them chasing you and insist on shooting other players instead, because THAT is completely realistic.

jay is completely right \, ppl seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that this mod/game is still in development but seem to forget that becuz of its immense and sudden popularity for a mod. If u have a problem with game put it in the suggestion thread so the developers can think about fixing your issue with the game.

Edited by Colinz

Love how everybody jumps down this dude's throat because he's frustrated.

OT:The other players are your major threats. You will find friendly players sometimes and you may find bandits sometimes. Just depends on your luck. If you have to go to popular loot areas, get what you need, then get out fast. Don't linger. Get some friends together as well. Bandits are less willing to rob you if you have a bunch of friends with you.

...because if Zs were actually a threat then you couldn't just run with 10 of them chasing you and insist on shooting other players instead, because THAT is completely realistic.

Because if Z's were real and 10 of them were chasing me, brought me down and started eating me alive you best bet that with my last ounce of strength that I'm gonna shoot your ass for being a douche by just standing there and watching.

• Like 1

Love how everybody jumps down this dude's throat because he's frustrated.

We all get frustrated sometimes but that doesn't mean we should completely bash on a game that's clearly still in development, why not just go in the suggestions forum and create a thread on what is bothering him and suggest things that can improve gameplay for him?

Actually, putting a little L4D in DayZ would be a pretty awesome thing. We would call it DayZ: Survival.

Servers run a 4 man HIVE, and in the world is just enough components to fix up a helicopter that has crashed somewhere. You and 3 other survivors start randomly along the coast, with spawns being very rare. If your crew survives, they meetup (and if they're good survivors, they could do things to signal others) and work on how to find the helicopter pieces.

Some added difficulty would include zombies being scattered about randomly, not just concentrated in town, and loot spawns could be understandibly much more rare. This would be DayZ with the co-op, and if someone wants to hunt the other 3, what's to stop him? But eventually, he'll need them, to get off the island, or if he gets hurt.

Eventually, he would die. That's the problem, survivors get remembered, but bandits never die.

Edited by Virfortis

"zombies" are here to attract (future) customers... for the rest it's a slow paced shooter at the moment. Let's hope it will change.

Exactly.

Whether intended or not, zombie-survival is currently the hook to draw in new players. Once you learn the "mechanics" of the mod, it becomes a watered-down version of base ArmA.

The mod starts out strong, but doesn't sustain it. It gets sidetracked with "gearing up" (kind of WoW-like) and providing things like tents, that trivialize death.

Edited by jonahcutter
  • Like 2

Because if Z's were real and 10 of them were chasing me, brought me down and started eating me alive you best bet that with my last ounce of strength that I'm gonna shoot your ass for being a douche by just standing there and watching.

This is one of the greatest posts I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Whether intended or not, zombie-survival is currently the hook to draw in new players. Once you learn the "mechanics" of the mod, it becomes a watered-down version of base ArmA

The mod starts out strong, but doesn't sustain it. It gets sidetracked with "gearing up" (kind of WoW-like) and providing things like tents, that trivialize death.

But why do you think that is? it's fairly obvious and I just mentioned it in my previous posts :D

Edited by jay.pis

But why do you think that is? it's fairly obvious and I just mentioned it in my previous posts :D

Why do I think what is? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just not sure to what you're referring.

Why do I think what is? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just not sure to what you're referring.

I'm talking about your previous post and that it seems like you're playing a released game. Why do you think there isn't much to do in the game? that's because it is pretty much still Arma2 with barebones features.

Edited by jay.pis