Sign in to follow this  
gauntlet14

From Console to PC

I'll try to make this quick. Should I abandon my console and buy a gaming PC? I love the looks of DayZ... Now to mention it, I see how bad the console is in comparison. It's not just DayZ, but most other games in general. Battlefield, Team Fortress, etc. I'm trying to make up my mind :blush: .

Suggestions?

Also: Please don't troll me for playing console

gauntlet14

Build your own PC. Don't buy a retarded case, don't buy an SSD (yet), don't buy a shitty motherboard, don't listen to anyone's advice on graphics cards from anyone except (balanced/un-biased) reviewers, don't buy used parts, and for the love of god DO NOT buy a pre-built computer.

Edited by icomrade
  • Like 2

On a more serious note.

Keep the console for awhile. Do some research online. Read some web sites like Guru3D, Custom PC etc.

Then get the parts yourself. Decide on a case etc. Decide how much money you want to spend. Now is quite a good time to buy a gaming PC as alot of the budget price range can max almost every game and run it no trouble. Because MOST of todays games are made for that 8year old console...

Apart from say a few like Arma II ^^

• Like 1

Because MOST of todays games are made for that 8year old console...

Apart from say a few like Arma II ^^

Ain't that the truth. Thanks guys.

I used to play on consoles but then I realized how poor they are in comparison to PCs.

Pros of Computer:

More Games

Mods for Games (Like Skyrim, Dayz is a mod, etc)

You can do two things you love on comp, Internet and Games and only game on Consoles.

Upgradeable, unlike consoles which then you are stuck with what you have.

Probably more but I dont feel like thinking of them.

Cons:

*CAN* be very expensive but if you know what you're doing you could probably build a solid computer that can run games with high graphics for 700$ (Probably less, although could be more)

Less friends. (For me alot of my school friends still play consoles because they are easier to setup, price wise, etc)

Again, probably more things but you get the gist.

Tips on building computers.

Newegg.com is the best for buying parts. The customer service is good and you can always find all sorts of deals/combos.

DONT buy an Alienware computer. You can get the same quality PC they bring to you for less with the correct knowledge and common sense.

Do you have a PC now? To play games like Dayz and BF3 you need a PC with some decent hardware to really make the games shine. Not sure what your budget is but the following link will give you some ideas for a decent gaming system build. http://gizmodo.com/5...-1500-gaming-pc

Whatever you decide good luck.

Edited by Fancy_Pants

Another con:

Some game devs like to release pc counterparts of their games later than console versions

If you buy one, do not buy one from Best Buy or whatever. Buy it custom made or make it yourself. It's much cheaper, and more effective.

If you buy one, do not buy one from Best Buy or whatever. Buy it custom made or make it yourself. It's much cheaper, and more effective.

Order a PC to perform...buy a PC to browse the internet....Build a PC FTW

I've always thought the console v PC / 360 v PS3 et al arguments to be fairly daft to be honest.

There are some truly outstanding games not available on PC - Red Dead Redemption springs immediately to mind - along with others that aren't available on console and / or are a far suprior experience on PC.

Deliberately limiting your platform choice - anyone, not the OP specifically - means you'll be missing out in one way or another.

*shrugs*

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 1

I've always thought the console v PC / 360 v PS3 et al arguments to be fairly daft to be honest.

There are some truly outstanding games not available on PC - Red Dead Redemption springs immediately to mind - along with others that aren't available on console and / or are a far suprior experience on PC.

Deliberately limiting your platform choice - anyone, not the OP specifically - means you'll be missing out in one way or another.

*shrugs*

That is why I plan to keep the console. Very good point.

The current generation of consoles are out of date when compared to mid-level PCs, even when they are launched you can surpass it if you spend enough on a PC. The main convenience is knowing that your Xbox etc. can play the game that you paid for, with a PC it is always a risk that your PC is not good enough or the game just does not like one of your components (AMD vs. Intel CPUs and AMD vs. Nvidia GPUs for example).

Ultimately the convenience and security sells it, plus they tend to be played whilst sitting on a sofa and connected to a TV instead of sat at a desk on an uncomfortable chair and face next to the monitor. This is changing though, all new graphics cards come with HDMI ports now so you can easily connect your PC to the TV and use it as a multimedia hub and for playing games. I have my PC connected to a 42" LG TV and sit approximately 2 metres from it, the only downside is the text is very small for some things but you can adjust settings in Windows and zoom in on web pages to improve this.

Now is a good time to buy a console for a cheap package with some free games, if you want to play older games from the past 3 years. If you want top graphics now (personally graphics mean nothing, I enjoy playing classic games as much modern ones, it is all about gameplay) then get a PC, otherwise wait for the next generation of consoles which will be out sooner or later.

Edited by thisisbleep

Surprise! You can own both a console and PC.

Console pros:

-Has some good exclusive titles like gears of war, halo, etc.

-A majority of my real life friends play on console so I can play with them (I don't know about you but 9/10 of my friends only own a console

PC pros:

-Mod support for games make them 10000x better than the console (just take dayz for example)

-The lifespan of games on a PC tends to be longer (just look at cod1/2, they still have thousands of people playing a day)

-While a good PC is a lot more expensive than a console, you're going to save hundreds and hundreds of dollars on PC games because of steam sales.

-Gotta mention mod support again because it's really what makes the PC great.

-Lots of PC games get more attention than their console counter part.. TF2 for example is huge on the PC but dead on console. Same with other good titles like L4D2.

-While not true for all games, some PC games give DLC's for free which won't ever happen on console

-PC games get updated much quicker and often than console games since they dont have to jump through hoops with microsoft

Maintaining a PC takes a bit of work and you will have to do some reading as well. I know, right..?

Consoles are more for people who just don't care for that hassle.

Do whatever you enjoy the most.

If you decide to build a PC, get an SSD - they are great and a massive improvement over regular HDD's. The person that said not to get one is really missing out and I do not see the reason for not installing say a 120GB SSD. They are quiet cheap and reliable already so at least use an SSD for your OS. Get a separate large HDD to store your data on.

My PC is quiet old already, and installing an SSD makes it feel like I am on a brand-new machine. Huge improvement in every aspect.

And I enjoy the <15 second boot.

You can have the fastest processor, the most expensive gpu and all the ram you want it goes to waste if the system drive is not up to par.

When you build a PC make sure that you plan ahead a bit. Try not to buy hardware that is already obsolete. I mean you don't need all the newest stuff, but just make sure you plan it carefully and go find an expert forum for this topic. Take your time with the planning and don't rush in acquiring all the parts. If a component you want is not in stock it is often worth it to wait a couple weeks or search some other place instead of going for the next best item.

It's a matter of preference, not which one is better.

In essence, consoles are computers built for the purpose of gaming.

It's less expensive and for the most part, you can play the same games as you can on the PC.

The only real differences are the quantity of players, the price and just how nit-picky you are.

-MONSTER

Newegg.com is the best for buying parts. The customer service is good and you can always find all sorts of deals/combos.

Normally i would say no, but consoles got so old, i switched to pc til the next xbox comes out.

Edited by Druig

Why would you have to 'abandon' your console to build a gaming PC? You are allowed to enjoy both you know.

Why would you have to 'abandon' your console to build a gaming PC? You are allowed to enjoy both you know.

you are awesome.

I have pc and ps3. I jump from one to other,