kristoferen

GPU usage low in cities

My problem is that my FPS drops a lot, especially when looking at cities.

My GPU usage is at 45~55% when looking at a city and I get 15~20fps, while its 90~95% when looking at a forest, mountains, sky, ocean, ground (and get 50-60fps).

CPU usage remains at 60~80% (core 1 @ 75% and core 2-4 at 50% usually)

RAM usage of the game is just under 1GB; I have over 5GB free after game+os+apps.

So why, then, is it lagging when my system isnt even fully loaded? Especially the GPU, as soon as I look at Cherno it drops from 95% to 50% and FPS drop from 50 to 15.

STEAM

ArmA 2 OA w/ 1.62 & beta 95310. (My issue has been there since I started playing at patch 94xxx)

I'm launching through Steam, launch options: -world=empty -nosplash -skipintro -maxMem=8192 -maxvram=1536 -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7 -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@dayz

although I've tried removing the maxmem/vram and cpu/thread options with no effect.

i7-740qm

GeForce GTX 460M 1.5GB

8GB DDR3

Win7 x64

I've tried running at my native resolution 1920x1080 as well as 1280x720 (both 3d and interface), with zero difference.

I've tried 304.79 beta & 296.10 WHQL drivers.

Edited by kristoferen

try using '-winxp' that solved it for me. :thumbsup:

also, try going on the nvidia control panel for arma 2 oa and changing the power management to 'prefer maximum performance' and 'maximum pre-rendered frames' to 4. AND TURN OFF V-SYNC

Edited by George3011
  • Like 1

VSYNC has been off forever. Max pre-rendered frames comes in 1, 2, 3.. not 4. Its been at 1 and 3, made no difference. I'll try -winxp and see if that does anything :)

try using '-winxp' that solved it for me. :thumbsup:

THIS! GPU usage is now at 98-99% everywhere and I now get a very comfortable 30-40 FPS anywhere in cities and 50+ elsewhere at 1080p/High.

You have made my game much more pleasant, thanks for the tip!

I should note, this does not affect the speed of alt-tab'ing my game.

Edited by kristoferen

If that is not working as fast, i just either push 'CTRL+ALT+TAB', which pretty much forces the usual 'ALT+TAB'.

if that doesn't work, then you can 'CTRL+ALT+DEL' open up the task manager and then alt tab fast.

either one or the other should work.