Sign in to follow this  
DayZnedconfuZed

The term "Sandbox"

I know this may seem like a dumb question but what is this? I am assuming it means you play as you like and make it as you will?

Not a troll just been hearing this term a lot and want to know what it really means.

It means: It's yours to play in. Just like a sandbox. No rules, You take the turns.

You make it more interesting. Do what you want. Just like a sandbox.

That's basically what is means. :)

I know this may seem like a dumb question but what is this? I am assuming it means you play as you like and make it as you will?

Not a troll just been hearing this term a lot and want to know what it really means.

In sandbox you can anything you want and there's basicly no "borders" to stop you.

I played ultima online for a long time.

The most fun I had was running a mafia out of minoc, charging players protection money to use the area safley.

They paid and I would make sure that no one killed them, if they didn't I would make their time there a living hell, making sure to kill and loot them between runs back to the bank with there hard mined ore.

I would then sell the ore at the player market to help repay some of their debt.

:D

In a sandbox game you are given the tools to play the game anyway you want. Eve online is another good example of that.

DayZ is the same IMO. Only way a game will ever truley get your heartrate up is when everything is on the line

Edited by Beatings

In a sandbox type game you are required to create your own content. Within the boundries of what the game allows of course. WoW, with quests and raids and planned out progressions, is the complete opposite of a sandbox.

it means: Google sandbox game!!!

Edited by icomrade

In a sandbox type game you are required to create your own content. Within the boundries of what the game allows of course. WoW, with quests and raids and planned out progressions, is the complete opposite of a sandbox.

Wow is a rollercoaster game, you follow the highs and lows of a story line.

Any game that sports "sandbox" has a hidden sandbox in game. If you find all the sandboxes in all the games that are labeled sandbox, you will be gifted with a magical item called the sifter. The sifter has the ability to bring items to and from any other sandbox game. People assume that the very few who have found the sandbox in each game are hackers, but they merely aquired the sifter. I am only 2 games away from aquiring the sifter.

:3

The term "Sandbox" has been properly stated, but is DayZ a Sandbox? I would say, not quite yet.

The term "Sandbox" has been properly stated, but is DayZ a Sandbox? I would say, not quite yet.

There are no objectives or constraints put on the player, so by definition it is an open game for the player to do what they want (sandbox).

At the moment the number of things that you can do in the sandbox is quite limited, but there is still lots of time to add new things (e.g. Rocket has mentioned adding the ability for people to make bases etc.)

There are no objectives or constraints put on the player, so by definition it is an open game for the player to do what they want (sandbox).

At the moment the number of things that you can do in the sandbox is quite limited, but there is still lots of time to add new things (e.g. Rocket has mentioned adding the ability for people to make bases etc.)

Which is why it's not quite there yet.

To get a good feel on the term "SANDBOX" watch this video from EVE online, covers it pretty wel :)

AJ

Which is why it's not quite there yet.

A sandbox isn't defined by the number of possibilities within the created world, it's defined by your ability to do anything you want within the world at a given time using the tools available. Just because there aren't as many possibilities as you'd like, doesn't mean it's any less of a sandbox. I want to fly around on a dragon and use teleportation but since I can't do that, it doesn't mean the game isn't a sandbox.

getting in your box and building a castle would be like killing on sight everybody does it.

getting in your box and wandering until you meet somebody else in the box then taking them with you out side the box to have a think about things would be a carebare as far as this game terminology goes :)

i always thought a sandbox game was basicly a massive area, no loading screens, and be able to use whatever is avalabe in the enviroment providied in game