Sign in to follow this  
lodestar

DayZ Predators

I don't know how many people have seen the 2010 Predators movie or know the Predator movie franchise, so this might seem a weird idea at first, but I think I have a point.

For people who don't know it. In the fictional universe of the franchise, the Predators are an extraterretrial race characterized by its very advanced technology and their hunting of other species for sport. The first movie plot circles around one of them hunting a group of elite soldiers in a south-american jungle. The second movie is about another one hunting criminals and policemen in LA.

On the 2010 Predators movie, the plot was twisted a little. Instead of coming to Earth for hunting, the predators captured soldiers, criminals and other skilled individuals from Earth and released them in another planet, like a game reserve. They didn't knew each other, and soon realized they were being hunted.

Honestly, the movie is not very good, but when I finished watching it I had one thing in mind: what a great game this could be. I am a software developer and I had an idea of how the game could be, but it never got past the brainstorming stage, mainly for the lack of an engine that could be used for it and that I could work on my spare time. So far DayZ achieved a lot of what I was thinking about for that hypothetical game. First of all, there's the whole concept of survival and being hunted, but you are in a situation where you don't know if the other survivors you meet aren't more of an immediate threat. Then, besides the whole survivalist stuff, the tactical gameplay, resource gathering and other things DayZ already has, there are many other things that could be plausibly inserted based on the Predators plot. For instance, it would be plausible to have weapons and equipments from any epoch and place, since the predators have been doing that for centuries, and every once in a while they get killed and their high-tech equipment looted by the survivors.

So, I recommend watching the movie, just to get the idea.

One point that is particularly appealing is related to the whole debate of different game rules or mechanics for survivors and bandits, and the claims that the game became a DM or TDM without them (which I disagree, but that's irrelevant here).

I thought about that issue for the hypothetical Predators game, and the solution is obvious in that context. The Predators get a lot more excited with the hunt when their prey fight, and bored when they do nothing and just work together to survive and avoid them. They keep trying to disrupt the team. If someone betrays the other survivors, kill them and loot the equipment, the Predators become very excited with that guy and start hunting him, specifically, since it seems like he's a real badass and will put up a good fight. Also, they despise those who are scavengers and only cowardly kill the other survivors, loot and hide for survival, and give them a gruesome death if the chance happens.

So, rather than an enforced game rule, it's a plot device that actually makes sense.

I was glad to hear that DayZ is becoming a standalone game. It's the start of something new, and I think some other great games may emerge if they also come from someone who feels safe with breaking many assumptions in the gaming industry. Maybe I'll even see this Predators game one day.

Thats more or less cops and robbers. One side chases and kills the other. The other tries to escape. I don't see a whole entire game being made out of this. A gametype? Yeah but I'm pretty sure its been done before.

You obviously don't get the idea. I'd be glad to hear a little more constructive opinion.

Predators was garbage.. And so was Predator 2.