Sign in to follow this  
A.Jones

is it legal for a server admin to exploit ping kicking so no one can take their tent gear/vehicles when they sleep?

and by that i mean lower their ping kick so that no one can play on the server at all just so no one can loot their camp?

because right now no one can play on this server that the admins have had their base looted a few times... just wonderin

It depends what the ping is lowered to, for some servers it can be around 100 (so only locals can play, less laggers) and that's fine, so it'd have to be pretty low to make it blacklistable.

Meh, alternatively an admin could just take down the server... It wouldn't be against regulations to do that, but whats the point?

It's officially not against regulations but that doesn't mean it should be allowed...

Meh, alternatively an admin could just take down the server... It wouldn't be against regulations to do that, but whats the point?

It's officially not against regulations but that doesn't mean it should be allowed...

Reminds me of last week when I found a car. Drove it into Electro and killed a few people with it. Server was reset, almost lost the car cuz it was dark all of the sudden. Then we drove it out of town.. Found a player and kkilled him. Then the server reset again and when it came back up, not only was it dark, but raining and the car was GONE.

I would cry foul play, but who do you tell that cares? Thats the real question.

• Like 1

I think there is a lot of admin paranoia. I know that it's likely that there are some admins that abuse their power, but you come to the forums and everyone has a conspiracy theory about omnipotent admins knowing every movement a player makes and as soon as they do something the server shuts down or they get kicked etc.

The rules state something like "You can kick players for extremely excessive ping" or something like that. Anything over 300 is pretty excessive. The admins that put ping limits of 100 or so are just fools and ruin the game. 100 ping never lost anyone a game in a close FPS like CoD or BF3, why would 200 make a difference in a server where you see a player once every hour, if that.

i was talking like a ping limit that would kick locals that were as low as 30 ping... its not on anymore but ive seen this happen 2 times...

im not going to make a big deal of it though since i dont want to feel like an asshole getting someone in trouble and making their server theyre paying like 50+ a month for be removed from the DB..

There is no current provision in the server agreements that covers MaxPing or its usage.

Technically a server with MaxPing set to 10 is still available to the public and open....it just requires anyone trying to log in to be sitting on top of the server.

I think the general rule of thumb is > 325 for MaxPing BE kicks though.

i was talking like a ping limit that would kick locals that were as low as 30 ping... its not on anymore but ive seen this happen 2 times...

im not going to make a big deal of it though since i dont want to feel like an asshole getting someone in trouble and making their server theyre paying like 50+ a month for be removed from the DB..

But you're "talking", what evidence do you have of this? You say the ping requirement has been lowered but how did you find this out? Or are you just theorizing?

The rules state something like "You can kick players for extremely excessive ping" or something like that. Anything over 300 is pretty excessive. The admins that put ping limits of 100 or so are just fools and ruin the game. 100 ping never lost anyone a game in a close FPS like CoD or BF3, why would 200 make a difference in a server where you see a player once every hour, if that.

True. I've played on servers with people from Australia, South Africa, Europe and North/South America all on at the same time without any issues. And this is hardcore player vs player combat, mind you... Ping is not as important in Arma as it is in other titles!

But you're "talking", what evidence do you have of this? You say the ping requirement has been lowered but how did you find this out? Or are you just theorizing?

I had a friend who was local to it try it out and got kicked in 1 minute of being connected.

True. I've played on servers with people from Australia, South Africa, Europe and North/South America all on at the same time without any issues. And this is hardcore player vs player combat, mind you... Ping is not as important in Arma as it is in other titles!

yea ping is more important in arcade FPS games

I disagree. ping more then 70 is bad.

ping is still a delay. and I trying to play with on lowest ping server. usually ping 33-70

So I want my character to react as fast as Im. and I have superhuman reaction. because Im a Superman.

And It is irritating when you see 50% of servers players have over 200 ping. Newer understend why ppl choosing server that they playing on from other side of planet.

Its just worth for them. Higher ping lower running speed. lower reaction. u lag for other players. harder to aim and so on.

Edited by evkol001