scouski

What kind of landscape would you like to see in a DayZ stand alone game?

Do any of the Arma maps have caves? Because I would like to have some mountain caves to stash supplies in, raid, fortify, and clash with other players with over possession.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a huge city, maybe 2? The country land in this game is awesome, as well as the vast forests and whatnot. Maybe some suburban areas outlaying the cities.

Definitely North America, simply because it offers a vast and versatile selection of different environments and multicultural architecture. The map could be a seamless patchwork of different elements; to the north a woodland area with numerous lakes based on Michigan or Ohio, to the west an area with rugged mountains resembling Utah or Alaska, to the south a rural surrounding with open corn fields or desert, much like Alabama or Kansas, etc. Cities could be fictional but heavily based on actual places.

Edited by ELIsion

Wrong. You do not understand the term standalone - it's not as simple as breaking the word into two. Do you have ANY idea how many STANDALONE GAMES ran on the Quake engine? Half-life engine? Unreal Engine? They are STANDALONE in that they do not require the previous installation of a different game which fronts for the said engine.

Hence - a STANDALONE Dayz will not require Arma to be installed but will STILL be using the Arma engine.

Anything else is bullshit. There is no other engine that can do this.

At this time we don't know what STANDALONE really means with the devs. It could either be a standalone using the same arma engine or a completely new game using a completely different game engine.

I for one am hoping that they'll use another engine, that or an overhaul of the current arma2 engine because DayZ needs some sort of proper melee mechanics (as well as others) which the current engine does not even support.

Edited by jay.pis

At this time we don't know what STANDALONE really means with the devs. It could either be a standalone using the same arma engine or a completely new game using a completely different game engine.

Bullshit. Just LAUGHABLE. I know exactly what it means because it has ALWAYS meant what I said. How old are you morons, spouting this shite? Has nobody come along in all this time to explain what a standalone is?? Do you people really think there will be a whole new engine for DayZ when he says DayZ will be standalone? You moronic?? or what?? I give up, if you want to keep pretending and talking shit around the tea cup table do as you wish

Edited by Clatterbridge

Im afraid that no server would be able to hold that much data xD

Are you sure about that? :P

Bullshit. Just LAUGHABLE. I know exactly what it means because it has ALWAYS meant I said. How old are you morons, spouting this shite? Has nobody come along in all this time to explain what a standalone is?? Do you people really think there will be a whole new engine for DayZ when he says DayZ will be standalone? You moronic?? or what?? I give up, if you want to keep pretending and talking shit around the tea cup table do as you wish

Dude relax, and I'm probably older than you, don't flaunt in here like you're some game guru, just makes you look stupid specially with all the name calling.

Yes we all know what standalone originally means, what I'm saying is that we don't know for sure what they'll be doing if they're staying with arma engine or moving on to another.

Also, lets stop derailing the thread, if you're not going to stick to the topic then don't post, simple.

Edited by jay.pis

The current map ....

Expanded to include the off-map areas, and populated with new towns, maybe a river or two, bridges etc. which would basically double the current playable area. As optimisation is getting better, server slots are increasing, we are out-growing the current play area.

Being dumped in a map where you don't speak the language increased the immersion, the sense of loneliness, and the feeling of something completely new.

Seasonal effects added. Cold and snow in winter, and yes, the sun can shine in winter too. Snow storms where visibility is reduced to a few meters. Torrential rain where the same happens. Both which would tie in to the body temperature mechanic.

Yes we all know what standalone originally means, what I'm saying is that we don't know for sure what they'll be doing if they're staying with arma engine or moving on to another.

Why would you suspect the meaning of Standalone has suddenly changed ?

It hasn't.

If Dayz "moves onto another" engine it will most definately be the Arma 3 engine.

Yes, you may get better graphics on Batman or BF or whatever, but make no mistake that the environment which you find yourself in in Dayz is not possible on those or any other engine.

So basically you are speculating entirely that the meaning of standalone has changed and then further speculating that either the game will completely change engine (to an unidentified non-existant one) or, even better, they will work from the ground up an engine that can do everything the Arma engine can do JUST for the sake of it and for FREE.

Yeah. You get paid when you SELL IT. It would take a considerable amount of time and money to make a brand new engine. I just can't believe you are talking this much imaginary bullshit and trying to worm out of it.

And it is on topic. It destroys the topic because the topic totally misunderstands standalone.

Why would you suspect the meaning of Standalone has suddenly changed ?

It hasn't.

So basically you are speculating entirely that the meaning of standalone has changed and then further speculating that either the game will completely change engine (to an unidentified non-existant one) or, even better, they will work from the ground up an engine that can do everything the Arma engine can do JUST for the sake of it and for FREE.

I'm not speculating anything, as I am in the video game industry (Mobile platform) and standalone even though it still mostly retains its original meaning it has changed enough that we can say standalone as a completely different product that is not connected with the original.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

If Dayz "moves onto another" engine it will most definately be the Arma 3 engine.

That's fine with me, as long as they are able to implement more complex systems/mechanics.

Yes, you may get better graphics on Batman or BF or whatever, but make no mistake that the environment which you find yourself in in Dayz is not possible on those or any other engine.

You obviously don't know much of any other game engines out there. There are engines out there that can handle 15,000 square miles of terrain seamless (Chernarus is only 210 km2), I'll let you go ahead and find out which ones.

Actually I'll even give you one (still in development but promising) and this one might be a doozy for ya - http://outerra.com/wgallery.html

And sorry to burst your bubble again.

Edited by jay.pis

Snow in the most northern regions would be cool kinda like what rockstar did with red dead redemption.

What? I guess you have never played ArmA2 other than day z. Servers can hold multiple maps and hundreds of missions. The server admin just picks the map and then chooses which mission to play on the map. Day z could be ported to different maps.

I like the current feel of the map with how the wilderness is. Maybe more modern feeling cities with vast wilderness separating them. As for seasons I would like it to change with the time of year IRL. Kinda like the time in game already on DayZ. That would make it more immersive for me at least. I also would like a different feeling when in the north of the map than there is with the south. Even if its just varying weather in each part of the map.

i'm a little biased here, but i'd love to see the white mountain national forest area, or a part of it that includes a city like north conway, made into a dayz map. pros would be the huts scattered throughout the wilderness, seasons, and tons of trails throughout the area. cons would be the scarcity of civilization to an extent... there is towns and cities on the outskirts, but there's a large area between them that's pretty much all mountains and forest.

here's some pics to potentially support my bias:

th_panfinal.jpg

th_P1010045.jpg

th_P1010075.jpg

th_P1010057.jpg

Edited by p1n34l

I really, really hope they don't use the stock greek island map from Arma 3 as the greek arid landscape really is quite a crappy atmosphere in terms of survival etc.

And I sure as shit hope he doesn't pander to an obviously "large" market and situate it in the USA or some such retarded crap.

Snow in the most northern regions would be cool kinda like what rockstar did with red dead redemption.

That was am interesting take on things, their map makers were skillfull for sure. But the map was so very "small" and cramped to account for that area. Obviously, the game was aimed at mainstream and was pretty arcade. You couldn't walk 5 foot before you found another person / house / object even in the wilderness. You could go from the pseudo Mexican boarder to snow in like 10 minutes.

Edited by itputsthelotion

and if there were like 2 maps (or more) to choose from as an admin on the day z servers would that work?

maybe those could be changed when one is less played or there's a new, better one?

Edited by k3m4

<3 Chernarus. I think "Stalker" style landscape will be the best. South America can be good too, it was fun in "Resident Evil 5".

What i don't want to see is "Left 4 Dead" like landscape, its overused too much in games and movies.

p.s. Big city will not work guys, even cherno and electro lag hard.

<3 Chernarus. I think "Stalker" style landscape will be the best. South America can be good too, it was fun in "Resident Evil 5".

What i don't want to see is "Left 4 Dead" like landscape, its overused too much in games and movies.

p.s. Big city will not work guys, even cherno and electro lag hard.

That's because of the Arma2 engine, it's outdated, and I'm not entirely sure if it is using it but occlusion culling would alleviate some of the problem. For those that don't know what that is it's basically this - Occlusion Culling what it does is it only renders what is in view of the camera. Hopefully they've updated their engine for Arma3 with some focus in performance, specially if DayZ decides to use it.

Also, they can have different maps as well so a big city map can be on different servers.

Edited by jay.pis

A mix between metropolis (skyscrapers etc), suburbia, and rural areas.

Edited by Dsi1

That's because of the Arma2 engine, it's outdated, and I'm not entirely sure if it is using it but occlusion culling would alleviate some of the problem. For those that don't know what that is it's basically this - Occlusion Culling what it does is it only renders what is in view of the camera. Hopefully they've updated their engine for Arma3 with some focus in performance, specially if DayZ decides to use it.

Also, they can have different maps as well so a big city map can be on different servers.

In a way I hope Rocket uses the Arma 3 engine; it looks good thus far and like he said it is a very unique engine. Maybe he will modify it heavily, who knows? One can only hope.

Just base it in the Ireland...The whole island including the North and the South. That would be a pretty decent size...and I live here, so I could find my way about pretty well :P

If you look on the Bohemia Interactive wiki you can see that Chernarus as we know it is simply a province of the entire country. I would love the full size Chernarus to be in the final iteration of DayZ.

would be sick cool if it was like a map with a snowy landscape up north, that has a lot of trees on mountain sides, and some big open areas with snow covering the ground, there should be few small towns.

and in the middle of the map, the snow blends in with the southern area where there is no snow, and more frequent buildings/small towns and more country'ish area, and then finally in the south region, a major city(like cherno, but bigger) and some more city's medium size. i think the size of the map in DayZ as it is, is fine, but could be a bit bigger.

there should be only be a south coast not an easter or western coast on the map.