KEEPCARLM

I killed my friend last night. (small story)

So, he was freshly spawned in Elektro, we met up and scavenged some stuff (it was strange though, because Elektro was full of dead bodies but with no living players in sight…

Anyway, we went into the church and there was a guy in there with just a Makarov, I aimed at him for a moment to see if he shoots. He did, he actually hit me for about 3000 blood, so I popped one AK bullet in his head and that was that, my friend got some decent stuff, tools and an alice pack from him.

I had like 10 bits of raw meat in my backpack, and about 5 water bottles, bandages, bloodpacks, morphine, painkillers, even antibiotics. So we’re good to head out of Elektro.

So my friend, when we get into some wooded area decides to sort his backpack out and I cook my meat. I get a message on steam friends, and since I launch the game through sixlauncher, the steam overlay doesn’t work.

So I alt+tabbed out to see the message, I tab back in and for some reason my AK starts shooting by itself. I was aiming at my friend, he died. L

MORAL OF THE STORY! DON’T ALT+TAB OUT AIMING AT YOUR BUDDY!

(also, how can I get the steam overlay to work)

• Like 3

That's why it's good to go into inventory screen before alt+tabing!

The shooting bug after alt-tabbing has happened to me before too, although it ended up alerting like 10 zombies to where I was in the bushes instead of shooting a buddy of mine. Have you checked your Steam Options?

Yeah alt-tabbing has one of multiple possible bugs

1) random direction button is jammed on

2) Single shot fired

3) Fire button jammed on.

No Rhyme or reason behind it, Even if you Alt+tab back in with no other buttons pushed it can just randomly cause one of these effects.

You need to hit ESCAPE and sit in the menu for a few seconds for it to stop.

I've found opening the MAP (M) even if you don't have a map on you before alt tabbing is a good saftey mechanism.
Edited by Cannon

Before you alt-tab out of the game, just lower your weapon, it prevents these kind of mishaps as the first lmb touch only raises it again. Or alternatively, use alt-tab to get your way back into the game, instead of left clicking the game in your toolbar. It sometimes fires your weapon because the left click also translates as fire weapon in the game.

Edited by Mercator

LOL this is pretty true.

This happened to me on my first playthrough of DayZ. I alt-tabbed and I threw a precious flare (It was pretty precious to me back then). All the zombies came and I ran away from Otmel.

I have a question, why does everyone use launchers if they can't get steam overlay, what's the advantage of a launcher over torrent?

That happened to me as well, several times actually. Scared the hell out of me when I was at NW Airfield. Alt-tabbed, checked TS for some grid coords, alt-tab back into the game and ratatatatat, emptied an entire magazine. Had to hightail it out of there to avoid becoming zombie lunch.

I only use sixlauncher because that was the way I used to first start playing the game, so I just stuck with it.

That's not so bad, I killed my friend when he had range finder, NVGs, Coyote and L85 AWS :D

Instructions for the Steam overlay are on the DayZ wiki. Or you can use DayZ Commander. Both of these may be found through Google.

Good job you weren't holding a grenade..

Reminds me of when I was playing a coop mission with 30 players and this happened in the assembly area right as we were about to start out. The dude actually screamed "grenade" and ran to the nade and jumped prone on it! Ofcourse he missed it by a couple of meters and it blew about 5 people out of the mission. He stood up and apologized profusely and was surprised he got a little applause :D

I just use DayZCommander.. lets me launch the game under steam. Works great. But yes, I've randomly shot at things too; the last one being an innocent stuffed goat.

i blew up my first car this way :)

if you alt tab out.. just make sure you alt tab back in.

I'm too lazy to hit escape or inventory first.

I just use DayZCommander.. lets me launch the game under steam. Works great. But yes, I've randomly shot at things too; the last one being an innocent stuffed goat.

Haven't got DayZ commander took launch with steam succesfully yet. Got any tips?

Simple work around for now. Open dayz through steam. Search server with commander, note server number. Add number to filter in game. Join server, enjoy overlay.

HAHAHAHA this happened to my friend but he gave me warning, i got away and he shot and aggro'd so we spent 30 mins dealing with it :P

That's not so bad, I killed my friend when he had range finder, NVGs, Coyote and L85 AWS :D

And he was alive for 14 days. B)

That happened to me too, if you click on the icon to bring the game back up.

1) Pres Esc and bring up the menu before Alt-Tabbing

2) Open your map or inventory before Alt-Tabbing

Future problems: Solved.