Sign in to follow this  
H1t0w3r

Chalk - Leave messages for other survivors

Hi all,

Not sure how viable this is, or if it would even prove useful.

I would like to see Chalk added to the loot table. The reason for this would be to allow players to write small messages on the sides of brick/stone buildings. Which could disappear after a certain length of time.

A simple function when near flat faced buildings which displays a text box allowing you to type a small message max length 50 characters. I.e. Sniper watching control tower, or beware of zeds in warehouses.

• Find Chalk in loot sites
  • Right click on Chalk in inventory
  • Type message into text box
  • Small spray animation/sound and message displays on the side of a brick/stone wall
  • Message is washed off by rain , or disappears after 30 - 90 mins
  • Maybe have a rub off function, so you can remove other players warnings (Handy for Bandits)
  • Could be seen as another form of communication with other survivors, as they are limited.

I just think it would be a cool feature, open for debate!

Edited by H1t0w3r
  • Like 12

Similar has previously been suggested... And the role player in my heart loves the idea...

I have a couple objections..

Not sure the engine can do anything like this..

And you're gonna get a lot of fucks and penises. Just saying.

Not sure I want that kinda graffiti.

• Like 2

There would definitely be a lot of dicks on walls around if there was a zombie apocalypse in real life. You got the anarchist tags too..

Edited by Detta

Similar has previously been suggested... And the role player in my heart loves the idea...

This. The engine wouldn't be able to handle it without some wierd system stuck in there that looks stupid. The only alternative would be some interactive object that gives a message when used.

And yeah, the graffiti will become ridiculous.

Yea without a doubt. That's where the rain/time limit comes into play and clears the messages after a while...

Yea without a doubt. That's where the rain/time limit comes into play and clears the messages after a while...

And then it would lose it's effectiveness to submit warnings to players etc.

its a 18+ plus game anyways so why not

Actually, DayZ is not a standalone game yet, and so it cannot be rated. DayZ is ageless. :blush:

This. The engine wouldn't be able to handle it without some wierd system stuck in there that looks stupid. The only alternative would be some interactive object that gives a message when used.

There is already graffiti placed on some buildings. Just add in a simple text box style function for players to add their own graffiti.

And then it would lose it's effectiveness to submit warnings to players etc.

Nothing lasts forever, maybe have the message slowly degrade so if players do come along after some time they can see the remains of a message.

Leaving everyone's messages there until server restart would just look tacky.

Actually, DayZ is not a standalone game yet, and so it cannot be rated. DayZ is ageless. :blush:

Actually, DayZ is a mod on Arma2. Arma2 is rated so therefore to play dayz you need to have been at the age rating.

• Like 1

There is already graffiti placed on some buildings. Just add in a simple text box style function for players to add their own graffiti.

That is the texture, it's not a dynamic thing. It's not as simple as just adding a text box to the wall.

Very good idea, but like you've said is it feasible within Arma's engine and also as much as I'd like to see something like this, it would just be abused.

There spawns for chalk would have to be relatively rare in my opinion.

• Like 1

Very good idea, but like you've said is it feasible within Arma's engine and also as much as I'd like to see something like this, it would just be abused.

As with everything in DayZ. Once players start realising the benefits of it, they will use it as intended.

Edited by H1t0w3r

to set traps...and then said player that fell for the trap will whine and moan, and shortly the chalk will become useless, much like the x's on the in game map.

I think it would be a refreshing addition to the game to see an eight, followed by about six equals signs and then the letter D on the side of the church in Cherno.

Search! There are other suggestions that are exactly the same as this and better.

Is this a bad thing? ;)

Either way, I agree with one of the guys above. Graffiti would be fairly popular in the real world too. But if this were continued in the stand alone game, it could hurt the ranking.

Hi all,

Not sure how viable this is, or if it would even prove useful.

I would like to see Chalk added to the loot table. The reason for this would be to allow players to write small messages on the sides of brick/stone buildings. Which could disappear after a certain length of time.

A simple function when near flat faced buildings which displays a text box allowing you to type a small message max length 50 characters. I.e. Sniper watching control tower, or beware of zeds in warehouses.

• Find Chalk in loot sites
  • Right click on Chalk in inventory
  • Type message into text box
  • Small spray animation/sound and message displays on the side of a brick/stone wall
  • Message is washed off by rain , or disappears after 30 - 90 mins
  • Maybe have a rub off function, so you can remove other players warnings (Handy for Bandits)
  • Could be seen as another form of communication with other survivors, as they are limited.

I just think it would be a cool feature, open for debate!

I have a similar suggestion about these kinds of communication, you might wanna take a look into it.

Link should be in my signature.

Edited by Winterborn
  • Like 1

Posted then realised I was wrong so deleted it to avoid flaming.

Edited by irGoodman
  • Like 1