Sign in to follow this  
Airogue

How do I create a Server while using Steam?

I am currently deployed overseas and stuck using a satelite internet connection running a reported 28kb/s connection (I see 25kb/s at best, and average 10kb/s) with this poor internet I was considering buying a second copy and creating a LAN server to play on, along with my fellow deployed members. I have Steam and the current version of the game I play was purchased and downloaded through that.

If I wanted to get a second copy would I need a new steam account?

Can I create a server off the internet even if I'm using Steam to play the game?

I'm not a fan of steam because so many of us don't have any internet and often steam requires access to the internet. I try to install and prepare all my games prior to deploying but I found out about DayZ only recently and don't want to wait to play, even if it's just on our own server. Most recent games won't allow you to create your own servers, and with arma II being an excption it can easily become one of the most popular games played overseas. We used to have LAN games of Battlefield through the moral drive. Great time killer and a lot of fun when playing against other units.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions.

DayZ relies on a master "hive" server that everyone connects to. I am sure it is possible to have a private LAN hive, but don't think you are actually playing DayZ.

No risk... No fun.

/salute to you for your service.

I've read a bit about creating the server, and it is possible. Most likely all will be lost every time the server shuts down because it's not linked to the "hive", however that is only a minor hiccup in my opinion. Getting to play is most important. Everything I have found though talks about a seperate CD key required, and hosting a game that you play your self. I guess I can set up a whole new computer and buy the game for it, and set up a new Steam account for that computer. I just hoped others had some experience with it that I could draw from.