Sign in to follow this  
Dpacm123

Bugs, Bandits and Life in Dayz

Ok well let's start with my background. I bought this game in the steam sale just over a few days ago, been looking to try it for ages. Anyway after playing it everyday for several hours since I got it, I can only say although I enjoy the game, I'am majorly disappointed in how serveral elements in Dayz practically ruin a lot of the game for me (and I presume other people).

I know this is slight rant post, but please try and keep all discussion constructive. (I've seen how members of this forum community like to savagely jump down people throats and flame their posts to hell until it gets too much and admins lock threads).

Bandits & the community:

First of all is the bandits and PKing in general. As it stands no one in game apart from the people who are literally starting the game bother to even join up, except for outside friends. Come on it's a survival co-op shooter, it's supposed to have elements that require teamwork or comradery. These elements that reward players for teaming up basically don't exist. Like at all. Surely to incestivise the player base needs some new game elements focusing on this need to be applied?

Right now everyone shoots on sight. Why? Because you have all the rewards of killing and gaining stuff. But absolutley nothing for not killing someone on sight - in fact if u dont shoot first they will probably even kill you, you have nothing to lose. Honestly with what's in game right now I can't even blame them. This is just fault with the core game itself (as it currently stands). I think the game needs new ideas and features.

Next on my list is the community. I know there are friendly and helpful people on here, but a lot of what I have read is plain rage. People on the forum who keep coming out with the "adapt or suvive" or "your a n00b it's your fault" mentally really need to shut up and sit down. It's horrible to read posts near constantly flaming people because they don't share the same viewpoint. It's like watching the bad elements of a community ruin a game because they only see it as able to played their way (and im talking the call of duty, shoot on sight, "F u all" shit it's becoming).

I' am not asking for horrendous nerf waves to come flooding the bandits way; the PvP could be a great gameplay feature. The game needs an alternative to give people something to do in game, as surviving against the retarted AI zombies just doesn't contribute to the gameplay value or enjoyment. Which brings us onto the next point.

Zombies and bugs:

The Zombies. Dear god. Where the hell should I start with this. It's no secret that that zombies are so buggy and f**ked up right now, that if they weren't so vital to the game I would be arguing for their removal. If it's not the buggy animations, it's the godamned shitty path finding, the collision detection thats just plain wrong, not to mention the various ghosting these zombies do through almost everyting. I can only hope that this shit storm of a feature is just rewritten in the code or something. A zombie game should have competant, non-glitched zombies. Competant does not include zombies that can break your leg in one hit then wail on you for 90% of your health because your paralyzed due to another crappy zombie gameplay element.

Bugs in this game come ten to the dozen, if shit is not glitching out it's not Dayz. In the days I have been playing this everyday since i bought it, like most my time. In that time I've had everything from disappearing items to breaking legs on inanimate objects. Like seriously?

Conclusion:

Finally, if your still reading, I know that sounds like a reivew now, but I do honestly like the game. There's a lot of things a player can enjoy, yet unfortuneatly a lot of things that almost ruin it. I understand the game is alpha, but disappearing items, random leg breaks? on a game thats been out like 3 years - the developers have got to sort their shit out on this. Overall I have been entertained with my experience. I can't help but think it could have been better thoe. If I had to rate everything I would give this about a 6 1/2. I will keep playing and hopefully in the future this game will become stronger. And thanks for reading this far.

This ^^

The mod is alpha, ARMA II isn't. 3 years and they haven't fixed various game crippling bugs? Come on. You can just pass that off.

Unfortunately, "alpha" is the best the fanboys can come up with to excuse absolutely any criticism of the game.

A server could go down due to a hardware failure unrelated to Arma II or DayZ, and a large percentage of this community would chalk it up to alpha.

Alpha is the get out of jail free card for this mod.

Oh, and the "it's not a game" excuse runs a close second on the stupid scale.

The mod is alpha, ARMA II isn't. 3 years and they haven't fixed various game crippling bugs? Come on. You can just pass that off.

Arma 2 was never in a good state when released, and hasn't really improved since. I appreciate your opinions and points of view, but a lot of what you're complaining about is core arma 2 engine bugs. The zombies for example; arma 2's engine was never designed to have an enemy rush around the map and attack without a weapon. Rocket and co have had to modify their code to allow for this, and as it's in alpha stage right now, it's only going to improve. Rocket has actually stated that he has done motion capture and will be implementing this at a later date. Tell you what, watch/listen to this: http://youtu.be/6BlHvh0JVuk?hd=1&t=18m50s (i've put it so it'll start around the part where Dean talks about the zombies, but you should really listen to the whole thing).

Regarding the Bandits and community, I cannot say I agree with you. I believe the shoot on sight is still fear based and not to do with bored players only finding enjoyment or excitement through pvp combat. I've ran into players several times in the past who have seen me, turned and ran in the opposite direction, only to cautiously return five minutes later asking if I'm a bandit..

This community is like any other, it's full of children, adults, mature children and immature adults. People have always disagreed with one another, and in many if not most cases, they've attacked each other for disagreeing with them.This is very apparent in the gaming community (and internet in general) with the classification of the "internet troll", people now simply argue and attack others for the joy of it and reactions they get. It's nothing new, it's been happening forever.

I personally feel this is a pretty good community. It's a massive improvement over other games communities, like Battlefield 3's where most users provoke and antagonise others for simply posting a reply or thread, and the verbal/racial/sexual abuse on their forums is absurd!

As for the rest, mate, be patient. This is an alpha build. It'll only get better, but it all takes time.

Thanks for sharing your views though, it's nice to read a constructive post.

You didnt buy DayZ, you bought Arma II.

Its not a co-op survival shooter, it can be if thats what you want to make it, but by definition its not.

Your entire post was a waste of internets, congratulations.

You didnt buy DayZ, you bought Arma II.

Its not a co-op survival shooter, it can be if thats what you want to make it, but by definition its not.

da hur ba brrr.... *drool comes out of mouth * < yeah i can say nothing constructive of your post too

I got halfway through your post and realized...

There's so much bashing on here because people keep posting the same thing. What you are saying has been said over and over. I think the people replying are possibly just getting sick of hearing the same things.

It's hard to give a thoughtful, constructive, intelligent reply to EVERY single rant post. So, it's easier to just start bashing people.

A large part, in my opinion, is there is so much out there as to what the developer(s) WERE thinking when making this "game", their intentions and such. The fact that people even call it a traditional "game" is a misnomer.

I suggest reading up on the creator of this mod. He didn't make it to be fun. It was more of an experiment.

The issue I see is, many of these rant posts don't see to take any of that into account. More likely than not, it's because you, as the poster, just don't know any better. You have your opinion, your game you bought and you want your opinion known. The problem is you didn't take the time to really read up on things before you vomitted on everyone.

And THIS happens OVER and OVER and OVER. So, I'll apologize on behalf of the community that there's some harsh words thrown around. Maybe, just MAYBE, if you took more time to develop your opinion there wouldn't be so much flaming go on.