Sign in to follow this  
Tenderness

Playing at night - Concerning Zombies and what-not.

Do a lot of the people here play on night servers, and if you do, how do you navigate/see properly?

I tend to use road flares, and pretty much just feel like im playing on luck when it's nighttime and im looting buildings. Throw a flare from a safe spot to check for dangerous things, start crawling somewhere in the dark til i stop again, throw new flare, crawl a bit further. Don't know why Zombies don't seem to aggro me at night, but then again, if i can't see butt shit, how can they?

On a sidenote, is there anything that actually changes in the Zombie AI at night?

Edit: icomrade politely corrected me on my use of "to do" in third person, thank you i guess.

Edited by Tenderness

Night vision goggles.

• Like 1

At night you make less sound and produce less on the visiblity meter, so that's why you're getting about Zombies a lot easier. Other than that, I don't believe there are any other major changes in relation to them

After reading the first 5 words of your post I noticed you have a tenuous grip on the English language; knowing that I realized you must not be very observant, which explains why you haven't thought of using your flashlight.

Edited by icomrade

I see that goggles are pretty popular, eh? ;)

I would like to use them, but that would require me to have them, and i don't spawn on the beach with military grade equipment :C

I always feel uncomfortable at night to be honest, mostly because i don't really see that far into the distance (Untill i get my goggles i believe.)

After reading the first 5 words of your post I noticed you have a tenuous grip on the English language; knowing that I realized you must not be very observant, which explains why you haven't thought of using your flashlight.

Hehe :) Doesn't really get much better ^^

I do use the flashlight, but i also find it almost useless because it doesn't show more than 3 meters ahead. Maybe im just completely wrong and should get my vision checked?

I mostly made the thread, just to check if people had any special ways of looting and running around safely at night :)

I almost exclusively play at night. What's not to love? Zeds don't see you from far away, fewer random pvp kills.

It goes back to immersion, i guess. I hate the 3rd person feature and wish it was banned from the game. Crawling in to Stary, hearing the hissing, not being able to see the zeds, and remembering what being scared of the dark actually was keeps me coming back to this game.

But seriously, fuck the 360-over-obstacles-god-mode that is 3rd person. Wait, this thread is about darkness. Nevermind.

I almost exclusively play at night. What's not to love? Zeds don't see you from far away, fewer random pvp kills.

It goes back to immersion, i guess. I hate the 3rd person feature and wish it was banned from the game. Crawling in to Stary, hearing the hissing, not being able to see the zeds, and remembering what being scared of the dark actually was keeps me coming back to this game.

But seriously, fuck the 360-over-obstacles-god-mode that is 3rd person. Wait, this thread is about darkness. Nevermind.

Yeah, doesn't take much before the topic changes to some of the more "annoying" aspects of the game.

I agree with you on the 3rd person thing, seeing as it forces one to use sound much more. I don't feel comfortable at night, or just learn to appreciate and find some thrill in it, like you do. But i guess it's only logical for you to play at night, if that is where you get excited :D

At night you make less sound and produce less on the visiblity meter, so that's why you're getting about Zombies a lot easier. Other than that, I don't believe there are any other major changes in relation to them

No, you don't make less sound. But you are basically invisible to zombies (and fresh meat for bandits with NVG). You also get cold during the night, and you get rapidly cold if it rains on top of that.

http://criticalpathp...com/?v=38406307

I usually don't have a high tolerance for über nerds, but Carmack is an exception.

Sorry, i'll stop derailing.

Holy shit. Anyone else notice that Carmack looks a lot like Hutch?

On topic: Chemlights fer dayz. I throw zombie raid parties in the factory district near solnichiy

Edited by DirkDeadeye

Night vision goggles are for pussys. Flares. fucking. everywhere. And then run. Everything will fall into place.

Edited by Caz
  • Like 1

Night vision goggles are for pussys. Flares. fucking. everywhere. And then run. Everything will fall into place.

Oh well, i want to try this sometime, just to see the chances of survival.

Turn on the flash light briefly. See if zombies are in a 45 degree cone ahead of you. Turn off flashlight and run/walk/crouch/whatever as appropriate.

Biggest dangers are NVGs and running from zombies but not realizing you're running against a chain link fence.

Still not sure how to hunt very effectively at night and I'd rather get shot than leave a city without a map.

I've only found the NVG's once. Combine that with the DMR in open land and it's pretty deadly.

Edited by Lawson

I agree with you on that one, the flashlight is rather useless and Zeds love em.