Sign in to follow this  
dobrowney

Ideas for Standalone Version.

Here is a few things I think would be cool if the game went standalone.

1. One world, One server: I will explain the best I can what I mean. I use to play alot of flying sims on a server called vatsim. You could fly from LAX to Say Japan and the Servers would change from LAX to Japan. The server swap was so smooth you could not even tell. Doing something like this in the background would give the player a sence of one world.

Now I know you are all thinking Flying Sim are alot different from a FPS. In game play yes, but to a server not so much. All the server reads is the data and with new tech comptuers and faster internet banwith, there is no reason you can not see a few thousand on one server. I fully understand that if I was in Say LA there would be more then 1000 players in that area. To work around this make zones of say 100 km2 area. When the player count goes over say 1000 in that area move players joining that area into an overflow server.

2. Player Location: This is were the game would get cool. When you create your player, you input your real life address and the game based off google maps would rebuild your block you live in. From there the game would also build enough resources for you to live for one week. Based off your area for popualtion and how many players build a toon within your location. The game would then build that many Zombies within your area.

So for example I live in a City with 300,000 and say only 10 players picked my City as there hometown. That would give us 299,980 Zombies within my area and only 10 weeks of supply.

3. If you can do it in the real world allow it in game: For example I am a Auto Tech in real life. When making your toon, you should be able to pick one skill. For me it would be Auto tech. I would be able to fix and get cars running. This allowing me to build a sence of being in the world. Also allow players to learn new skills within the world, based off finding books. This could give some cool search and find type puzzles.

4. A starting cutsence: Do like a 15 min or so cutsence explaing what happened and how you got where you are. This would give the game some time to build your custom starting area.

5. True Sandbox: allow players to build content within the game. If 10 poeple found an area they would like to stay for a bit. Allow them to build living areas, Fencing and other things to help them protect there way of life.

6. Build a trading system: I know at this point Money would be useless. But say food, guns, wood, metal and other things to live would not be. Allow players to go to set area to trade content. Or setup a market where you could bring your gear and trade it for others.

7. Add Planes and Boats : I could see an addon for content like planes, boats and other things like that .. Maybe tanks and what not. Making it real world there would be army based left uncontrolled. Maybe one could jump into a fighter jet and kill some Zombies like that. I know I am getting off base here.

Overall I think the more you make it like real life the cooler it would be. I also understand that Game devs might not be fully able to build a game like this yet. It would be cool if the could though.

Edited by Dobrowney
  • Like 1

The way DayZ works atm, this suggestion, would actually explode your PC and set it on fire.......Besides what your asking would probably take ALOT and i mean ALOT of time to create.

The starting bonus is actually a good ideia, and a cutscene is welcome to provide a solid backstory.

There are already working boats in the mod. You have a semi-trading system, that is if the other player won't just shoot you and take is stuff back.

Edited by Gentleman_shark

tho the idea is amazingly good, atm its pretty much impossible to achieve,

tho i woud love to play something like that

1) 1000 player cant see it happening requiring that kind of internet connection and hardware would blow away at least 50% of the games audience and games are intended to make money (most of the time)

2) Google maps is made from 2d images with the occasional 3d model and terrain height, unless you plan on buying a pc from NASA or want day z to be a sidescroller there's no chance that would happen

3) could work i personal wouldn't want it

4) its a good idea and i can imagine thats already planned maybe not 15 mins but something there to explain the situation

Yeah I know for the most part in my life time we will never see a game like this. I have been planing a world war game like this for years. For the most part comptuer tech is just not able to do it yet.

As for using Google maps to build the world. In the most part the terrian in 2d. I use to build racing tracks for rfactor.net mods and arca sim racing. We use google maps all the time to build default roads and other things. When placing in buildings and other things like that We used preset models and just dropped them in .. It really was not that hard. To do a small city I could build just the roads in a few weeks. Then you would just drop random buildings around the area. Now to rebuild say LA or New York. That would take some time.

Edited by Dobrowney

using Google maps as a base for an artist to create a level is perfectly fine but having a computer take a 2d image and magicaly generating it into a 3d environment with collision, textures and enter able buildings with current graphics levels is impossible

There is programs out there I use to build our sim race tracks now that use google maps to build our racing worlds. To build an addon system in game would not be that hard. It also would not crash your pc. The world would not be perfect but it would be there. If you were going for a 100% copy of the real world then you would need a artist to do the 3d modelling work in 3dsmax. Collision, textures based off what I have done in rfactor are just based off default dds files. If you tell the program all images that are white use grass.dds and all images that are black to use road.dds. Inside that dds file you have your collision and textures. Now if you see a gray box drop a default made building that you can go into. Again just another preset dds file or in a 3dmodel a max file. I can be done. Yes drawing the content live would take a bit more comptuer power live. That is why i said only draw a one block area and give the comptuer 15 mins to draw it . When you are watching you 15 min cutscene your comptuer in the background would be drawing your starting area. Now if you had a single core cpu, yes your computer would die. But most computers for gaming nowadays are quadcore cpus. They should have no problem running another program in the background.

Edited by Dobrowney