Particle (DayZ)

New server; players not joining

I put up a new server yesterday and noticed nobody has been joining. This struck me as odd since people frequently talk about how often times all servers will be at capacity and it's difficult to get in anywhere.

Any time I had tried to join the server after setting it up it worked fine. I could get in game and play around. Only later did I notice someone commenting that they couldn't get in. Messing around, I discovered that there is a difference between when people try to join using Six Launcher and when they join in-game. I had been joining the server using the in-game browser and never had an issue, but when I use Six Launcher it just says "Waiting for host" forever.

Has anyone else ever had this experience to know what might be the matter?

Sure thing.

DayZ - US 1208 (v1.7.2.3/Beta 95248) [VETERAN|3DP:ON|CH:ON][GMT-5] dayzmod.com - hosted by Particle

Address: aoede.pcrpg.org / 12.234.150.213

Automatic Server Resets: 12 AM, 6 AM, 12 PM, 6 PM Central (Every six hours) Make sure to get to a save point by those times!

Edited by Particle

Ok, now that's kind of funny. As soon as I posted that, after 20 hours of nobody joining, people start filling in. I have to assume it's people who read the above post instead of people who were using the server browser. To those of you who did: What method did you use to get in-game? Six launcher, in-game browser, other?

In game menu for me and my 6 buddys. May I ask what part of the country you host this from? I had good ping and im looking for a server where an admin is present at times. That and we want a stable server to place tents and start a real camp.

I'm glad it performs well for you. It's hosted out of Kansas City. You and your friends are more than welcome to set up camp here. :)

Can access the server easily by using the remote address. Trying to connect through the server list is not working so well though.

double check your server.cfg

reportingIP = "arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com";

And also check u got your ports forwarded right, think its 2302-2308 udp

Edited by Torndeco

The master server does appear to be registered correctly. It does show up on the server browser after all.

As for ports, I forwarded inbound 2302 (game), 2303 (master browser), and 2305 (in-game voice) as was mentioned here (other sites seemed to agree). Outbound is not restricted.

Is there anything else it might be? The fact that it works using direct IP would seem to suggest the server itself is ok. It's only when using a server browser that things get weird, like the listing in the browser isn't sending people to the server's external IP but rather the one the server is actually binding to (an internal address) or something. The machine is connected to a firewall+router machine I've got in the same rack right above it instead of being directly connected.

Wanted to try it out for you.

The server doesn't show up at all in DayZ Commander.

Showed up in the in-game browser but connection fails (showing a ping of 47).

I received a notice in my email of a new beta patch today. This issue seems to be one of the things it might address. The wording was a bit vague, so I can't be certain. I'll apply it tonight and see what happens.

Edited by Particle

Well, went to try it out.

The in game server browser isn't working at all for me right now (probably gamespy problems).

And 1208 still isn't showing up in the list of servers for DayZ Commander

That much is really strange. It does show up in Six Launcher, so it must be listing with a master browser. I tested it myself last night and found the new patch didn't fix the join-from-six-launcher problem. I'm not sure about the in-game browser as I've always been doing direct connect by hostname where it adds the server to the in-game browser manually.

i can only remote connect to your server, i've tried browsing for it but did not find it. is your servers clan (ncr) friendly? im trying to start a small loner camp on your server potentially but dont want to risk probable death in firefights with clans that obviously greatly outnumber me

I'm not particularly familiar with their play style as I haven't played much yet. I put up a server at their request, but you're more than welcome here if you wish. I'll ask them over Steam what their play style is like.

---

I've figured out what is happening, just not why. I'm hosting my server on 2302 (standard port), but Six Launcher launches the client with the wrong port specified. It specifies the correct (external) IP but port 18750 for some reason. No wonder it doesn't work.

---

Tertiary note: I've set up the server to reset every six hours (midnight, 6 AM, noon, 6 PM). I was told it's necessary for the Arma2 OA server to not start lagging. If this is in error, please let me know.

Edited by Particle

I don't, and won't, use six launcher ^_^

Was able to find the server in the in-game browser and was able to connect this time. Very fast, too. FPS was fantastic. Response was fantastic.

Still not showing up in Commander. Not sure what would be causing that.

your server speed is extremely fast. fastest loading phase ive encountered. i will make my camp here.

I'll have to see if I can figure out why it's not showing up in DayZ Commander this weekend.

---

Thank you all for the compliments, by the way. The server's specifications follow in case anyone is interested:

AMD Opteron 6234 (12 Core, 2.4 GHz base, 3.0 GHz turbo)

64 GB Kingston DDR3 ECC/Reg

HighPoint RocketRAID 2710 PCIe HW RAID controller

4 x 10K RPM 300 GB HDDs in RAID-5

AT&T Fiber OC3 100/100 Mbps

---

I see the task scheduling ended up spawning two instances of the server this morning. heh Let me see if I can fix that...

me and my friends are playing on your server too. Good connection and fps even though were from germany :) Its still a bit empty but its ok. Now i just need to find out where this NCR Clan, or what theyre called, hoarded all the vehicles. I think they have plenty of em

Edited by Adrian187_86

yeah same. i hate how fast cars get greedily hoarded never to be seen again. its like that on every server, why? why does a clan need 15 vehicles? just to deprive others of the joy of having one i suppose. the ncr camp is probably in the NW like all the other camps, i heard they are bandits so i will try to steal a car

No idea what the problem is with Commander. Rest assured, though, it's not just your server. Apparently something's not quite right with Commander itself in regards to what servers is does or doesn't show.

Finding it no problem with a filter search in Six and in game - as of right now, it's still showing 2 instances of the server in game - and players logged in and playing on both instances. O_O

http://i.imgur.com/IcrT1.jpg

I myself am getting stuck and Waiting for Host when trying to join the one with more players (the one listing in Six).

Edited by EliJRn