Sign in to follow this  
komoter226@yahoo.co.uk

Construction

Hello.

It would be interested to add in much more objects like metal wall fences, guard posts and wooden shacks. You would first have to find the blueprint for such objects. After that, you'd right click and place a '3D outline' of an object like a tent. If you mouse over it, it would say what resources are required to build it.

After that, it's just like repairing a vehicle, except the 3D outline turns into a physical object.

This would make building a camp much more exciting in terms of defence and offense.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Ice Cold Killa
  • Like 10

I like the idea.

Although, I see this being highly exploitable. Imagine hackers placing these buildings such that 100% of the map is covered, and therefore the server is ruined.

I like the idea.

Although, I see this being highly exploitable. Imagine hackers placing these buildings such that 100% of the map is covered, and therefore the server is ruined.

If it were the case, hackers would probably spawn tents all over the map right now. So I don't think it would be that bad.

• Like 1

I really like this idea! I'd love to build a fort out in the middle of Chenarus.

what you are saying is basically a more advanced version of the way the engie in tf2 makes buildings? I'm totally down for that. god knows this mod needs a better end game, and to be able to create a genuine user created strong hold is one of the best ideas for it. and this would make it very possible. It would also make PVP so much more entertaining and is a good way to fill those empty grass areas that i hate so much

I have thought of it a lot of time and this would be really really immersive to have this as part of the gameplay BUT you also have to think it as a whole concept. What if people keep building and building and building and... You see my point. The map will be overwhelmed of these things. You need solution to solve this or at least make it really hard to build, as it should result of a strong effort.

Like :

- It should require a lot of material to build shelters/other things which can be made with different mats : woods, woods & stone, stone, stone/metal (or a mix of all of these?) + some mats to fix it all together. Which lead to my other point...

- It can't be made in one day(and it should be a restriction), you'll need to find a "recipe"? to know how to build it, then mats (a lot... again), and it will require a lot of effort (building your tools to build it, or finding it... or any ideas?)

- There should be something that can destroy your construction, like a new zombie that is super weak against human but really strong against building and is aggro'ing players' constructions ? And/Or it degrades itself through the days... And/Or you can't repair it... Any ideas again?

There should be downsides for these things or it will "pollute" the servers on a long run.

indeed, you will need multiple trucks to store the equipment in to build such things, which means its a huge operation requiring at the very least 5 people to make work. and even then with the amount of greenery on the map, even if they spent all week building they wouldnt take up much space. you could also limit it so that these constructions can only be built on the grass land (which are overly plentiful) which means its a good way to take up space. you also have to consider that in a server with 40 people, only 14 on average will ever be working on constructing vehicles oh any kind, if that. which means that even less are likely to make an entire fortress which, lets be honest, will only serve as a tiny spec on the map each.

I really like this idea as well,

I have thought of it a lot of time and this would be really really immersive to have this as part of the gameplay BUT you also have to think it as a whole concept. What if people keep building and building and building and... You see my point. The map will be overwhelmed of these things. You need solution to solve this or at least make it really hard to build, as it should result of a strong effort.

Like :

- It should require a lot of material to build shelters/other things which can be made with different mats : woods, woods & stone, stone, stone/metal (or a mix of all of these?) + some mats to fix it all together. Which lead to my other point...

- It can't be made in one day(and it should be a restriction), you'll need to find a "recipe"? to know how to build it, then mats (a lot... again), and it will require a lot of effort (building your tools to build it, or finding it... or any ideas?)

- There should be something that can destroy your construction, like a new zombie that is super weak against human but really strong against building and is aggro'ing players' constructions ? And/Or it degrades itself through the days... And/Or you can't repair it... Any ideas again?

There should be downsides for these things or it will "pollute" the servers on a long run.

I really like this idea as well, and think arkenz has done a good job of some good outlines. Some very controlled ability to construct things would make the game even more ridiculously addictive. Clan wars would be more like like actual wars.

This would have to be /very/ minimal and controlled though. If you really want to build bases and things then maybe you should play arma 2 (its not a bad game ppl). Just a more indepth system to building things, having big projects would give something for players to shoot for besides just hoarding vehicles etc with 300 tents.

So I forget the mention you'll have to have some other tools to add to your toolbelt like a pickaxe to get stone (and the map as some spot with a lot of rock so it's all fine :)), a shovel as well, lets say to dig a small flat hole to start building... Well we can imagine a lot of new stuff to make it realistic and give another toy to play with in this amazing game :)

Construction is definetely something the devs should look into (or keep looking if they already are).

My main concern is how durable and permanent these buildings will be. It has already been said that the devs are working on sub-terranean bases for the survivors, how these will work I'm not entirely sure, but we are talking about on-surface things. I do not believe these can be "instanced" so what worries me the most is going through all the effort of constructing a nice fortress (alone or with friends) and then having the server restart (or some other nefarious event) and losing all of it.

Another problem could be that people will start looking for these fortifications as zombie-free high-yield loot spots. Even a big clan will have problems manning the wall all day. This is, of course, unavoidable, but perhaps some new elements like land-mines or more crude defenses like trip-wire activated traps (or the famous bear traps I can't seem to find anywhere) can be included along with the construction patch so our forts can be protected in our absence. Watch dogs could also work, not only to defend the fortress but perhaps even track any would-be thieves back to their hideout. However, given the possibility of server hopping and/or logging it might be a useless meassure unless there's some sort of mechanic that binds you to the server once you interact with the construction (if only for some amount of time).

Absence may also become permanent so a "taken back by nature" mechanic should also be included to prevent the over-abundance of these fortifications. Perhaps different stages of neglect can be stated, meaning that a fort (or whatever we are able to build) will start to decay without regular care up to the point it just becomes an unsable ruin (which could or could not be frecuented by feral dogs who are angry at their former masters for not coming back to feed them).

Another aproach to this subject could be similar to the way Helicopter Crashes and Vehicles work. There could be damaged fortifications randomly spawned around Chernarus (hopefully not in plain sight) which can be repaired.

All in all, it's a good idea, so good that the devs have been mulling over it for a while. I think it's just a matter of time before they figure out how to implement it properly.

Well I'm all against instanced buildings, it sounds OP and once you've done it, it can't be destroyed at all, so... What next ? I like the idea of my shelter being exposed to danger in a persistant world outside, where it can be seen and destroyed.

You can't and should not wish for it to be permanent, underground, cause there is nothing left to build there when there are no more space, on the ground, because there would too many of it on a long run.

Also it should be bind to the server you're in, because if you change server with your shelters bound to you, it might make some collision problem if someone has already built there, and this would be a big problem.

We should also think of an utility to build these, as we're not sleeping at all in this game and as we might build it far away from zombies, so you won't run there to hide from zombies. First, obviously should be the possibility to store some of your equipments, but then? Any idea? An hot spot to cook your meats?

Edited by arkenz

Why not have explosives destroy the buildings? They destroy tents and vehicles.

Edited by Manaw

There is already a built in option to ARMA for construction. In warfare you can scroll the mouse wheel to select construction then it takes you into a flying POV. Your POV is about 10m in the air and you can choose to build defenses like H barriers, wire fences, bag fences, small bunkers etc. I think this system could be edited slightly (not using money to buy defenses, rather have them in your inventory to build them) and implemented rather easy.

Another method would be the one in the beginning of this video

This is probably the best suited method for DayZ. If you have sandbags in your inventory you just right click on them and select place then they pop up infront of you like this and you place it where you want it.

• Like 2

I think that would be a much better way to set up fortifications as with the current system it can be hit or miss if you set up the bags or c-wire correctly.

Well what I was thinking was to make items such as 'Blueprint (Watchtower)' which would typically spawn inside Industrial high-yield buildings with a 0.11% chance. After you get the blueprints, you can go outside to your camp, stand in front of the place where you want it placed and right-click on it and click on 'Setup' option.

If ArmA 2 already has fortress-building ability, then slight modifications can make it so it consumes items such as scrap metal or wood piles, instead of cash.

Edited by Ice Cold Killa

You have to make it hard to build it for the reasons I've gave, like you need a scheme/design to actually get how to build this building, it will give you want it needs to be built step by step : materials & tools.

Steps for a watchtower (wooden one, keep it mind I just give it as an example) :

1st step : you need a shovel, dig holes for the small foundations

2nd step : you need an hatchet, woods and ropes/strings

Etc...

I agree it should be hard to make. But don't feel that it should work with blueprints, It does not feel realistic to me.

Just make it realistic on the needed ressources: Sandbag wall? need lot of sand, and fabric.

I agree it should be hard to make. But don't feel that it should work with blueprints, It does not feel realistic to me.

Just make it realistic on the needed ressources: Sandbag wall? need lot of sand, and fabric.

Well you'd need a blueprint IRL to build a building wouldn't you?