L0G!N (DayZ)

FULL Medical / First aid

@jokye & Tarkastio, I know this is a very extensive suggestion, that tends to be the case if one tries to collect and combine all sorts of medical ideas into one thread. I personally think the Dev.team should look at this as a full list of options and means to achieve them. Adding in everything may well be to much! But there are some realy good ideas in this compilation thread (and not all are mine, i just reformulated ideas i picked up reading this forum, i hope to put up links to original discussions at some point) ... so don't see it as one big suggestion, see it as all sorts of things they could do, and now its upto the dev.team to pick those that they like best or feel best fitting for DayZ

• Like 1

Burns

While fire is not yet a big part of the game, it may become one, especially if the much desired 'molotov' is added to the game. And various accidents with cars or other machines might cause fires too, and thus getting burned.

- Stopping being on flames would be fixed by rolling on the floor (unsure whick [key] shortcut this does)

- Stopping flames might be done by wrapping a player in a fire blanket (? if possible)

- A player could get 1 to 3 degree burns, and would obviously die from being on fire too long!

- 1st degree burns would cause mild pain for a certain period of time, unless treated with a coldpack, painrelief may help as well, but only for as long as the pain relief works, in relation to the time the burns cause pain (see 'Pain' below)

- 2nd degree burns would cause medium pain, burning pain needs to be dealt with by ?? (for example combining a coldpack with bandages to create a longer lasting relief). It could be dealth with in 2 stages even, after a certain period of time the fix would wear out, leaving mild pain. Applying a cold pack no longer works and medication has to be taken to suppress the pain.

- 3rd degree burns would cause severe pain, after applying the ??? (f/e combination of a coldpack with bandages) the pain would be reduced to medium pain, and has to be dealt with by taking medication.

*!* I wonder in howfar it will be possible to distinguish burning pain with regular pain in coding though, and in a sense applying pain medication would also work, still though, i think having a sollution to deal with these burns by other means as a first sollution (coldpacks f/e) could reduce the amount of time the injury lasts and thus reduce the amount times medication needs to be used. Which will have a positive effect on developing addictions.

just FYI, 3rd degree burns are painless as the nerve ends have been destroyed, the thing that hurts when you've been 3rd degree burned are the 2nd degree burns that follows.

Tnx, i was obviously not aware of this :) ... so that would obviously mean that a player can only get 1st & 2nd degree burns and death to follow, as there is no need to make people painless ;)

Edited by L0G!N

Well 3rd degree burns are of course very serious if you dont manage to treat them the burn will continue, evaporating fluids from the body and destroying tissue. Also there will be pain combined with 3rd degree burns, but the pain is from the 2nd and 1st degree burns surrounding the 3rd and 4th degree burns :)

Well the thing is, if 3rd and 4th degree burns actually destroy nerfendings then this person would go 'numb' at those areas, while this poses a whole different thread IRL, where you won't feel having cuts or infections there etc. adding something like that into the game makes no sense, or makes the game confusing to people ... for example, after getting a 3rd degree burn on an arm, being cut/bleeding on that arm would not show the bleeding icon (as that is closest to authentic), but then a player that plays in 1st person would bleed to death from something he would notice by 'looking' IRL, this looking though is hard to accomplish in 1st person game mode ... unless we get some sort of bloodspatter on the screen if we are bleeding, to add something more than just the icon blinking...

Hence, for the burning system it seems more usefull to have 1st & 2nd degree burns, and skip the whole 3rd/4th degree burns as the outcome of those are hard to realize authenticly in the game ;)

Hey LOG!N I think your health assesment is spot on but I would like to add some more damage tables from a physilogical perspective. I'm taking physilogy and have an understanding of what you can and can't afford to lose. Basiclly as the damage table is now each shot no matter where it hit, aside from the head, will result in blood loss instantly, while in reality you either die immedietly, die a long and painful death, or you are hit in an area possessing no major artterys or organs. Here is how I would like to see the damage table be.

Here is where a shot would result in instant death. A shot would result in an instant death if it hits in the head, neck,your lungs or your heart(which is right inbetween your lungs). I say lungs because once air enters your diaphram it is impossable to breath so you would sufficate. An important feature to implement is when you are shooting a low calaber gun, 9mm or macarov, at the back or top of the skull especally at an angle it will not penetrate and instead deflect off it.

Now these parts of your body would result in severbleeding, unrecoverable injurys, or near immediete death. As you all may know the pankreas, right bellow the left lung, house most of your stored blood so a shot there would cause you to die from blood loss near immedietly. A shot to the uper theigh- lower pelvis would hit your main artery in your leg and that wound is near undressable so death to bloodloss is inevidable. There is also 2 main arterys traveling through your arms but these if you can turnicate it off are pretty easy to dress but will non the less bleed heavily till you can get a turnicate on. Now a shot to your liver, bellow your right lung still in the diaphram, would be unrecoverable and you would die especially w/ this post appocolyptic health care. Finally if you are shot in your spine and paralized... which I doubt anyone wants to play this as a paralized character, would be given the option to respawn but they could not regain movement due to the gravity of the injury.

Now here is a list of injurys that are recoverable but will need some advanced work to do so. One major injury would be the notorious gut shot. Something many people don't know about getting shot in the digestive track is that you will regenerate on your own in a matter of days due to the high acidity and high heat possessed in that area. Obviously you can not eat or drink so it will be very important to be able to put your own IV full of nutrients so you don't need to stress your rapidly repairing intestines. This is the only organ that repairs itself w/ no need for surgery.

Now here is a list of places you can get shot that would result in minor- moderate bleeding. The shoulders hit here would result in a broken collarbone, the arms, and anywhere bellow your kneecaps.

I would Ideally like to see an extremely realistic medical system so basiclly I would like to see both Logan's idea and my idea implemented. Another important thing to note is bloodloss is only one of the ways you can die, shock, and infection being the others. I really would like to see this implemented what do you think Logan?

While i do like the idea of a realy extensive system, there is something you should probably be informed upon (and i don't mean this in a belittling way), and that is how the game actually registers whether you are hit (or you hit somebody).

In a video game this is determained by what is called a 'hitbox', basically the computer sees your character's body in a variety of ways:

1. The wireframe, this is basically a sceleton of dots (turnpoints) and wires (bones), it uses this wire frame to calculate and from that generate any movement. Not sure if you ever seen motion capture footage, but if you have than you will likely remember a blacksuit with various balls on them. These balls represent joints, and the computer is told which two joints are connected by a wire. As such all sorts of movement can be caputered for a sequence of displacements of these joints and wires. The computer than basically runs this animation once your character does something.

2. The polygon mesh, this is basically the outside of your character, it is what holds the 'skin'. It's basically a human body modeled in a whole lot of (usually) triangle shapes. The skin is then wrapped around this mesh, the skin being the character artwork).

1&2 The mesh is basically placed around the wireframe (like the bones inside a body) and the computer is told the distances between the wires and the mesh. That way it can calculate how the mesh moves as the wireframe moves.

3. Hitboxes, these are simple rectangular boxes that usually represent the limbs (head, torso, arms, legs), these are boxes because your body is a volume, though theoretically (by the computer) each side of the box is just seen as a flat surface. So now when somebody shoots at this character, the computer calculates whether the bullit hit this surface at the moment the bullit is shot (so incase of lag you can miss, because you shot at a 'surface' (body) that was not in that exact place when you pulled the trigger.

Now what's the problem you ask, well first off we don't know how elaborate the hitboxes are, sometimes it's just the head and the body, or if you play minecraft, think of how these characters look, you can see 'hitboxes' in this exact visual representation (but as you likely figure when thinking of minecraft, these bodys don't have joints in arms&legs. Now why are these hitboxes so simple (sometimes just head and body), because the computer has to calculate whether this box is hit, the less 'boxes' it has to check, the faster it can determain a hit, and the less strain there is on the whole game/computer while these calculations are made...

And then we arrive at your proposal, if you would make all these bodyparts individual 'hitboxes' which you would have to do to have the computer determain whether they are hit, you put a lot of strain on the whole game. So while this sounds cool, and it is likely technologically possible, it would also mean we (the players) would likely need 'beasts of computers' to run this game, or the servers would have to be beasts...

So while i am not against a more elaborate hitbox registration, you should think in reasonable 'hitboxes' (something like the minecraft characters) and set up a 'if hit => result' model based upon that. And if you can do so, then i am more than happy to add it to the OP ;)

Edited by L0G!N

I like all of the ideas, but instead of experiencing most/more than 1/4 of these things, it's:

Spawn --> suicide because of spawn not being close enough to Cherno

OR

Spawn --> run into Cherno, get killed by AS50 --> repeat

OR

Spawn --> run into Cherno --> get a gun --> run to NWAF --> get more guns --> raid tent city and get all top gear --> kill people for a while --> come and complain on the forums about lack of things to do

So putting these in would be a waste of time for now, because most people won't experience them or ever even know they were implemented. Maybe if people weren't retarded when playing this, then more medical situations would work. But for now, 90% of people do the above three. For the other 10%, good for you, want a cookie?

If i could also add, the addition of a system like Arma 2: Project Reality's, you must diagnose the person that needs medical attention, this would be amazing to be added in, for example if he is bleeding it would say (After diagnosis) "(Player name) appears to have been shot by __________, he has heavy bleeding and this needs to be patched."

Some thing like that would be awesome.

@Auzzii, i will think about taking that up in the list as a general 'medical' feature, though in a sense i fear that example, maybe if bleeding didn't go so damned fast and wasn't so fairly obvious (ever seen somebody bleed, it squirts out like it's a freaking fountain) ... though for some of the other systems proposed it may not be a bad idea :)

someones taking this game way too fucking seriously.

Dehydration & Starvation I'm needing major help please send me a message and I'll give you the server ip.