smiffotw@hotmail.com

Talking to other players

hit the . (period) key until you see "direct communication" in white letters in the bottom left of your screen. hold caps lock to speak through your mice, or hit / to start typing. Make sure you have your mic set up correctly in game too.

Thank you :)

Loving the game. Found an Mp5 but had no water and my blood was down to 200. I passed out on a road somewhere :(

At 200 blood its probably better just to lure zombies to a hiding spot near the coast, let them kill you, then spawn and run to get your MP5. Good luck getting there before someone else though

Edited by zython

What you should also know about the direct chat is that servers can either have it enabled or disabled. If people don't seem to hear you, or you don't hear anyone else, it means it's most likely disabled.

Also, direct chat has a range. Typing is 40 meters I think, and voice is 80 meters, so it's really short.

There is no effective way in-game to tell anyone to get to your location because of those limitations. Best option, if you really don't want to die, is to ask on the forums for help or find people to team up with.

I've no idea where I died with the mp5 as I'd not found a map.

I'm doing a little better but struggling to find water anywhere - tried barns and small industrial units. I dont appear to be able to enter most of the farm houses - I climb the steps to the door but I cant open them. I'm guessing houses are a good place for drinks?

Most houses you can't enter. If you can see through the windows, you should be able to enter them though.

If you are searching for water try the curch or supermarket (either you find a coke or a map there, that you can locate a lake)

A question of my own: If I use my mic, do the zombies hear me and attack me or not?

Edited by Turk_SeSo

It seems direct communication is broken on most of servers since 2 or days.

Do anyone got the same problem ?

Aye, if you are just looking for "water" that could be your issue. The sodas are considered a source of water replenishment. You also have a chance to find canteens that can be refilled at ponds or water pumps.

Aye, if you are just looking for "water" that could be your issue. The sodas are considered a source of water replenishment. You also have a chance to find canteens that can be refilled at ponds or water pumps.

I'm looking for any type of drink... just said water B)

I've found a pump and a lake but all I had was a empty whisky bottle with a crack in it and I didn't appear to be abe to fill it. Nor could I drink straight from the pump

I've found a pump and a lake but all I had was a empty whisky bottle with a crack in it and I didn't appear to be abe to fill it. Nor could I drink straight from the pump

Empty soda cans and whiskey bottles are TRASH. You can drink ANY soda or find a water bottle. In your inventory, if the water bottle has water it will be a normal icon. If the water bottle is empty, it will have a red circle with a line diagonally across it. Empty water bottles can be refilled at water pumps or lakes. You CANNOT refill a water bottle at the shoreline of the ocean.

As someone else said, liquid replenishment is by water or soda....

Hope this helps =)

The devs were a little anal in their hygienic tastes for how you can consume liquid. You might pass the infection if they allowed you to drink directly from a well or pond, and how dare you pick up that filthy wiskey bottle or tin can and try to use that to drink out of. You might catch something. What are you thinking.

Not to mention the compulsive dissorder behaviour of having to use the inventory system to do any of this.

I've got spare water bottles (and guns... and food... and a car or two...). PM your location and I'll bring you one if you really need it. Better to learn how to find stuff on your own though.

As others have said, supermarkets are your best bet, but high value residential spawns typically have some sort of liquid in them.

In-game, it depends on the server, most have direct on from what I've played on at least, and some even have side chat, which is server wide. Just cycle trough your communication types and see what there is available. If you do find a server with side chat however, do not use your mic, text only. You will most likely get raged at and kicked if you use global voice.

Out of game, there are countless programs to communicate with friends or people you find on the forums to trade with and such. If you do need help you can look up the Trusted Medics of the Wasteland http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3910-need-medical-assistance-we-can-help/ , or just make a generic thread asking for help.