majoras_mask

Any AMD users notice faster load times using amd fusion?

So I have been playing this mod for a little bit and the long server load times annoy me alot. I was messing around with programs and settings trying to see if I could make servers load quicker, nothing worked. Today I thought I would give the "AMD Fusion" program a try, thinking it wouldnt do anything. I was wrong, running the "online gaming" profile I was able to cut down the server load time to like 6 seconds. I know that some servers load slower than others so I tried it out on a bunch of them. Even with different hosts, countries, ping (between 16ms and 280ms), and on different patch versions, the average load time from all of them was about 10 seconds. Before using this utility I was getting an average 1.5 minutes. I dont use a router, just a direct connection to my dsl modem. My internet speed is rated at 5mbps down, .5mbps up.

Maybe this was just dumb luck in my case but I was wondering if anyone else noticed this? If you have an amd board you might want to give it a try and maybe leave some feedback with the results.

My pc specs (I just built it about 2 weeks ago)

OS- Windows Ultimate 64

Mobo- Asrock 970 Extreme3

CPU- AMD Athlon x4 640 2.8ghz

cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo

Gpu- HIS Radeon hd 6670

Ram- Adata 8gb ddr3 1333 (dual channel kit)

hdd- 2x 1tb WD Black, 1x 3tb Seagate

monitors- 42in Panasonic 1080p plasma, 2x 20in Hanns-g

Audio- Onboard and Creative X-fi X-mod wireless

Speakers- Logitech 2.1 channel, M-Audio BX8 D2

Keyboard- Logitech

Mouse- Regular Microsoft wireless mouse, 3Dconnexion 3dx, Razer Naga

Optical drive- Lite-on Blu-Ray player/burner

3x 120mm fans, 4x 80mm fans

• Like 1

Well this probably shouldn't work but given that Arma 2 is highly CPU driven I am not suprised, you do have me interested in trying this though.

AMD Fusion is a utility for AMD Processors ... If you are running an Intel Processor, you can't use it.

Info on AMD Fusion, copied from the site.

The AMD Fusion Utility for Desktops is designed to shut down certain processes, reduce CPU load, improve energy efficiency, and/or increase available RAM to free these resources up for other, more immediate purposes. It can also restore the system to its initial start-up state. The shut-down process can be done with the click of a button. If the AMD OverDrive™ software and ATI Catalyst™ software utilities are installed, they can also be activated simultaneously by the AMD Fusion Utility for Desktops application. Activating a selected profile automatically searches and closes all services and programs listed in the profile that are running at the time of activation. It also starts any hardware tuning options selected. Depending on how the profile is configured, the processes shut down may include network security that may leave the computer system exposed to viruses, worms, and other harmful software. Thus, it is important to be cautious while operating in this state. Stopping an active profile or exiting the application returns the system to its start-up state.

Profiles targeting specific processes for automatic shut down can be created quickly, with system processes and hardware acceleration displayed as a list of user-selectable profiles. These profiles can be started and stopped with a single click. When a profile starts, the amount of RAM and CPU power used by system processes decreases, freeing more for other purposes such as gaming. A message with the option to save appears for active applications that implement an automatic saving prior to exit. Processes shut down during a run can be selected by the user. Close requests are sent to each process selected for closure within the profile, and if any process takes more than five seconds to respond, a hard kill command is sent to help ensure its closure. Software for tuning the processor(s), such as the ATI Catalyst™ and AMD OverDrive utilities, can also be activated if installed and configured. Stopping a profile returns the system to its start-up configuration.

Edited by sixzeronine

Hi there, sorry to bump an old post, relatively new to the whole forum thing.

Just wanted to know what this would do in a nutshell and if there are any risks involved? Only recently got a new rig as i am relatively new to PC gaming and don't want to ruin it :D

Thanks

I tried this aswell tonight. It didn't seem to help the load times as much as in-game performance.

AMD Phenom XII 970BE O/C @ 3.7Ghz

8GB Gskill Sniper

GTX 560ti 1GB

500GB 7200 HDD

This one is not CPU-specific, but I use for about a year now with much success http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

It basically do the same thing as AMD Fusion and I'm using it with my Core 2 Duo. I'll be switching to AMD soon and I'll give Fusion a whirl, but I love me some GB3 for now ;]