Sign in to follow this  
Sidekicknicholas

US188 Boycott

US188 tonight (7/23/2012) @ 9:35 CST

- Every player on the server was teleported to a warehouse with no exit ..... everyone died.

Bullshit.

Server has been blacklisted by friends and I, I suggest others do the same.

Edited by Legacy

So a hacker attacks and it's the server's fault?

The server had chat enabled and admin present .... this event happened, everyone complained via " / " and zero people were booted from the game.

.... I'm not blaming the server for it happening, I'm blaming them for not taking any action.

The server had chat enabled and admin present .... this event happened, everyone complained via " / " and zero people were booted from the game.

.... I'm not blaming the server for it happening, I'm blaming them for not taking any action.

Well then, that is critical information that you left out of your OP.

• Like 1

Well then, that is critical information that you left out of your OP.

Just trying to spread awareness of a server's hacker population. My guess (and only a guess since I'm not a hacker) is that they probably have a home server with goodies (to avoid having to generate new shit everytime) or server hop to populated areas just to screw with people.

It was a public service announcement - do what you will with it.

yeah server owners can not just take action straight away man,,,, its not the server or server owners fault

You are going to be "banning" a lot of other servers this is happening to. In most cases there is nothing anyone can do right now until the security hole in the game gets fixed or patched.

Edited by Larce

The admin has no way of knowing what happened without spending a long time looking through logs, and even then there might not be anything incriminating there. People really need to stop looking for the nearest scapegoat whenever a hacker hits a server.

If the server has chat enabled (which it did), and the players currently all chime in on who the guilty party is (one guy happened to NOT be in the barn/warehouse and DIDN'T die), couldn't the admin of that server kick/ban that player?

Sorry the rant should have been about shitty admins in said server, not a shitty server.

.... in this situation there was clearly a hack, multiple people all pinpointed the guilty party and no action was taken, with an admin present..... to me that is a poorly run server.

Pretend our server is a restaurant.... pretend that all the folks on the server are customers of that restaurant who also handle the food..... pretend than the manager is sitting there watching everyone prepare food and eat...... pretend one more time that every single person in that restaurant but one gets food poisoning and the sick people are pissed. The manager simply does nothing and lets the guy who poisoned everyone continue to handle food at his restaurant.

If the server has chat enabled (which it did), and the players currently all chime in on who the guilty party is (one guy happened to NOT be in the barn/warehouse and DIDN'T die), couldn't the admin of that server kick/ban that player?

Sorry the rant should have been about shitty admins in said server, not a shitty server.

.... in this situation there was clearly a hack, multiple people all pinpointed the guilty party and no action was taken, with an admin present..... to me that is a poorly run server.

Pretend our server is a restaurant.... pretend that all the folks on the server are customers of that restaurant who also handle the food..... pretend than the manager is sitting there watching everyone prepare food and eat...... pretend one more time that every single person in that restaurant but one gets food poisoning and the sick people are pissed. The manager simply does nothing and lets the guy who poisoned everyone continue to handle food at his restaurant.

pretend you are the admin of a server,,,, pretend you do not have any special abilities to combat hackers,,,,, pretend you spend hours going through logs for scripts or evidence,,,,,, pretend you find nothing incriminating,,,,,,pretend someone then goes on a rant about the admins of said server being shitty,,,, pretend you actually know what your talking about before bashing some admin who is probably trying his/her best to provide you a server to play on that can not actually do anything about hackers as of right now in dayz's development,,,,,, pretend this is the same for every dayz server right now

admins do not have special powers, nor can they supervise all players or be expected to go through logs 24/7, Im sure they probably tried to find out who the hacker was, we have had to do this on our server without finding anything incriminating

so what else do you expect the server admin to do?

you realize that this is not minecraft or some other game that can be supervised and action taken very quickly?

you realize that dayz is still in aplha?

you realize that every server right now is open to hackers doing what they like?

you realize that it is currently very hard to find any evidence in the server logs, and as of right now almost impossible?

you realize you probably owe these admins an apology for your childish/misinformed rant?

Deal with the risk of hackers or dont play dayz, everyone is in the same boat right now

• Like 1

US188 tonight (7/23/2012) @ 9:35 CST

- Every player on the server was teleported to a warehouse with no exit ..... everyone died.

Bullshit.

Server has been blacklisted by friends and I, I suggest others do the same.

I believe this is where Alt + F4 (and or ghosting) is acceptable. Or at least, it is for me.

Edited by Ryan4601

pretend you are the admin of a server,,,, pretend you do not have any special abilities to combat hackers,,,,, pretend you spend hours going through logs for scripts or evidence,,,,,, pretend you find nothing incriminating,,,,,,pretend someone then goes on a rant about the admins of said server being shitty,,,, pretend you actually know what your talking about before bashing some admin who is probably trying his/her best to provide you a server to play on that can not actually do anything about hackers as of right now in dayz's development,,,,,, pretend this is the same for every dayz server right now

admins do not have special powers, nor can they supervise all players or be expected to go through logs 24/7, Im sure they probably tried to find out who the hacker was, we have had to do this on our server without finding anything incriminating

so what else do you expect the server admin to do?

you realize that this is not minecraft or some other game that can be supervised and action taken very quickly?

you realize that dayz is still in aplha?

you realize that every server right now is open to hackers doing what they like?

you realize that it is currently very hard to find any evidence in the server logs, and as of right now almost impossible?

you realize you probably owe these admins an apology for your childish/misinformed rant?

Deal with the risk of hackers or dont play dayz, everyone is in the same boat right now

See but what I got from the OP is that the Admin was In-game so wouldn't he be teleported in too? If that was the case, I would definitely blame the Admins.

See but what I got from the OP is that the Admin was In-game so wouldn't he be teleported in too? If that was the case, I would definitely blame the Admins.

Just because a admin is in game, doesn't mean he would do anything. Admin currently is just a title without any special powers. If the admin was following the rules like everyone else kicking or banning is prohibited.

The only things admins can really do is ninja-server restarts without telling anyone. ( i know douche move ). If the server was in a name tag off mode. How would a admin find out who is the hacker?

Ryan yes if the admin was in game he may of been teleported also but he still can not do anything but abort from the game, if that was successful and he never got killed he would then have a few choices none of which are instant. He could restart the server which the hacker/s could then just rejoin and continue doing what he/she was doing.

They could then go through server logs to look for any evidence as to who the hacker was, even after doing this they probably would not find anything to be able to tell who it was. Dayz server logs are very big, for example if you sit and watch the server console in a server that has 20 plus players on it, its almost unreadable it goes by so quick.

Admins really can not do anything right now.

My example was, hackers joined my server, they teleported all vehicles to one location off the map and killed any player unlucky enough to be in any of those vehicles.

1. When this happened none of our group was in a vehcle

2. We never knew at the exact time that hackers were to blame

3. We did notice one of our vehicles was missing and another we were fixing had dissapeared

4. The way dayz is right now with vehciles and tents dissapearing we could not say 100 percent it must have been hackers or that maybe someone else had drove off in the vehicles

5. The only way we confirmed it was hackers is that another player on our server reported what happened on our own forums

6. After going through all the logs we were unable to find any evidence to who the hackers were.

Even if the admin was also teleported, if it is a server with no name tags, they still could not actually do anything ie ban a player

Server admins can only actually ban people for 2 reasons 1. Racism and 2. Malicious talk

Banning hackers is a whole different story, if the server say had name tags and the admin or another player had recorded what happened and managed to capture the hacker then I guess the admin could ban and post the evidence in the cheat reporting topic

If admins just start banning players with no evidence they could risk having the server blacklisted, thats the way I see it

If the server has no crosshairs/name tags then the only real way to get evidence is through server logs but as I said right now its unlikley to find any incriminating evidence there.

Edited by Aitchy

You do realize, it takes a ridiculously long time to dig through logs to get the relevant string of text he needs to justify a ban right? Admins can't just ban people without evidence, we have to abide by the rules. Hating on the server and admin when neither had anything to do with what happened seems pretty pointless when really you are mad at the hacker.

• Like 1

to add to the above, a lot, a whole lot of the scripters / hackers / jackasses or whatever you call them, are using a Battleye Bypass so there wil be nothing in our logs to show what happened anyway.

The dumb holes got patched up and the idiots running crayte.sqf and ammo.sqf have been caught, kicked and banned. Now these tools are getting better at getting around the blocks....

Admins hands are tied. If I ban without some proof (and to some idiots anything short of a stool sample isn't good enough), they come on here crying that they got banned, boo hoo. If I don't ban, then the regualrs on the server get pissed. Lose / Lose

• Like 1

Sidekicknicholas

That is my server. I apologize for the hackers ruining your day!

Do you know who was logged in as "admin"? A few of us have that power, but I'm basically the only one who ever uses it, and I was taking the bar exam when this happened...

Also, you say sidechat was enabled? It most definitely is not enabled in the server, unless something really screwey happened. It's in the mission file and, as anyone who rents from Vilayer knows, we don't actually have access to the mission file to edit even if we wanted to. Perhaps some new hack? Perhaps you were on a different server and didn't know it? The whole scenario sounds quite odd. Any other details you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE:

I looked through the server log. There is no sidechat or global... EVER. The only exception is the global I use through RCON sometimes. Anyway, I can't find anything in the log that supports what you said. That doesn't mean I'm accusing you of lying: I have read that hackers can do things that bypass the Battleye log. But I also can't find anything to figure out who may have done this :-/

So are you sure it was US188/NY84 and not another server? I do see that you have played on it before (your name is in the log)

2:36:39 BattlEye Server: (Direct) Darq: who brought the douche

2:36:39 BattlEye Server: (Direct) Sidekicknick!: Wtf

Also, is it possible that you were confusing Direct chat with global? Just wondering :-)

Edited by andb52