Sign in to follow this  
Phycog

Rimfire Weapons

Hello, I've been playing Day Z since 1.5.6, but this will be my first post on the forum. I'm not sure if this has been brought up or not, but I'd like to bring up the topic of Rimfire Weapons. Mainly their role lore-wise and how they should be used in the game.

Lore

In my opinion, I considered Chernarus to be the sort of country that would heavily restrict firearms ownership to civilians, so I really didn't find much sense in finding pistols and Lee Enfields to be available in most homes and stores - hence the reason why most of the local population is dead or infected. Rimfire weapons would be more prevalent on farms for the simple reason that farmers do tend to carry such a weapon to get rid of predators and nuisance varmints. In residential loot sites, it could mean that heavy regulation has made rimfire weapons the only viable means of self protection.

Technical

For many real survivalists, a rimfire rifle has countless uses. It's easy to understand, vary light to carry and shoot, and ammunition is readily available anywhere. What I propose initially is a rifle and pistol system that has magazine conversion capability. The focus of these weapons being to take out infected quietly and efficiently while conserving ammunition to hunt game out of the cities. Also to discourage wasting ammunition on other players in starting areas - "Am I going to unload all twenty rounds I have to put a guy down or do I use these rounds to take out twenty zeds in the city?"

- Bolt-Action Rifle -

Caliber: .22LR

Effective Range: 140 meters

Noise Range: 30 meters

Magazine Size: 5 round magazine

Infected Damage to Kill (Headshot / Bodyshot): 1 round / 10 rounds

Loot Availability: Common

Real Life Example: CZ455

- Semi-Auto Pistol -

Effective Range: 70 meters

Noise Range: 20 meters

Magazine Size: 10 round magazine

Loot Availability: Very common

Real Life Example: CZ75 Kadet

Loot locations of these weapons and magazines would be commonly found in: residential, farms, and hunting stands. Besides these, I also have an idea of a specialty rimfire that someone might just deck out in case of emergencies.

- Bullpup Rifle -

Effective Range: 140 meters

Noise Range: 0.1 meters

Magazine Size: 30 round magazine

Attachment: Suppressor

Loot Availability: Moderately available at farms and military spawns

Real Life Examples: ZK22 / Walther G22

That is my proposal, so I'm crossing my fingers that I can get some constructive feedback on this. Thanks!

Edited by Phycog
  • Like 3

Completly agree with adding .22 to the games. But in general I'd like more soviet weapons.

• Like 4

I always took Chernarus as an underdeveloped countryside of Russia.. The .22 you're referring to historically dates into the late 1800s, and then around the 1900 is when the Winchester .22 is created and that was manufactured around the world. The Winchester company started to dominate this market for 'BB' alike pellets and bullets. Most of the .22 s that were created are in US/Europe and Germany. I haven't been able to date anything for Russia, but I may be wrong however historically none of the rimfire weapons should be used in Russia.

I'd be much happier seeing some of the much older WW2 weapons on the Russian side in Chernarus. How awesome would it be to find a Degtyaryov Machine Gun! For those that don't know what that is a light machine gun using 7.62x54mmR cartridges. That's a beast of it's own... add in some faulty mechanics, random jams, and it'll be like the real thing! Gear > Broken (Bipod) Degtyaryov. Which you would then need to find scrap metal to fix.

Lapis - Thanks for the beans! :D Also, I've seen quite a few Ak-type rifles chambered for .22LR, so it's definitely not out of the question.

Noxez - You've completely missed the point ...

I've edited the initial post to reflect real life counterparts of described weapons and changed the figures to fit.

Good Idea, but maybe those weapons you mentioned would take 7-8 shots, instead of nine? Also, what is this "Bullpup rifle"? As far as I'm aware, "Bullpup" weapons are weapons with, and I quote; ...a modern firearm configuration in which the action is located behind the trigger group and alongside the shooter's face, so there is no wasted space for the buttstock as in conventional designs. This permits a shorter firearm length for the same barrel length for improved maneuverability, and reduces weight.

Also, I'm not sure that the actual likelihood of finding these types of weapons in the game is actually important - we find multiple variants of M4's, M16's, and lots of other non-Russian weaponry, in Russian airfields an barracks, no less.

...an action that is located behind the trigger group and alongside the shooter's face, so there is no wasted space for the buttstock as in conventional designs. This permits a shorter firearm length for the same barrel length for improved maneuverability, and reduces weight. Sorry for having this in 2 posts, seems the original Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V didn't work... =/ But, I digress, I also don't think the the actual likelihood of finding these firearms in Russia is very important, as we find multiple non-Russian weapons in their very airfield control towers and barracks.

Um, OK, WTF - seems it decided I didn't say anything... again. You can see what I said by holding LMB and dragging the cursor from the first point I said something directly downwards; everything I said should be highlighted.

¬.¬

You will much luckily find a SKS hunting rifle in post-soviet countryside, than ANY .22 rimfire weapon.

explanation: the only place where .22 was is soviets used is sport. Like biathlon.

Main civilian use of a weapon in a soviet union was hunting, therefore most used weapons would be 12cal and 16cal (I guess over 80%), and 7.62x39, (SKS was widely used for hunting; I guess 5%).

Other available cartridges would be 7,62x54, 9,3х64, soviet 7,62х51 (close to .308, but not always compatible), .30-06. (maybe 10% altogether)

And EXTREMELY rare find would be any weapon with different cartridge. Even AK-74 5,45x39 cartridge would be extremely rare, as it was produced for military use and banned for civilians.

Edited by Infineon
  • Like 2

Hmm ... lots of interesting posts.

Mr. Two - Thank you.

Hypperzz22 - I just threw up the bullpup for s***s and giggles really. It could one of those extremely rare type of rifles to be found in hunting stands or whatnot.

Infineon - Maybe. Modern Russian firearms law dictates that rifles and shotguns of semi-auto nature may be bought with permit. Pistols and tasers are out of the question for civilians - they are completely banned.

Ref: Firearms in Russia

Ref: Gun policy in Czech Republic

Also, I've seen quite a few Ak-type rifles chambered for .22LR, so it's definitely not out of the question.

Well those have been converted but in my mind there not "real" 22.'s

Modern Russian firearms law dictates that rifles and shotguns of semi-auto nature may be bought with permit.

Sure, but Cherno is somewhere between Kurgan and Vorkuta cities (if it's actually Russia), which makes it a place for a very little amount of wealthy hunters. Most will stick to more traditional hunting weapons. And you can't get weapon license for "self defence". At-least it is what I've read from people saying on forums - it's like police insists that you won't ever need a firearm for self-defence.

This leaves us with more-or-less described situation: 80% of double-barreled shotguns and less than 5% of imported semi-auto. Automatic - only in military spawn-zones, and over 99% USSR/Russia made.

I would love to see a single-shot .22LR rifle. It could be made to work in Arma by giving it a 100-shot magazine that takes up one inventory slot, then giving it a really slow rate of fire, to replicate having to manually load the next cartridge from your pocket. The performance of a reload between each shot with the all-important space-saving advantage of the smaller cartridge. The stats quoted above sound about right, make it effective out to around 140m and give it either a telescopic scope or some good iron sights with zeroing ability, like the AKM has. 30m is a good noise alert radius for zombies.

This gives you a low-power rifle that is easy to use, cheap to feed and can be used against zombies in a controlled environment, but has little to no value in PvP or a pitched gunfight. Great for overwatch while a buddy heads into town or for clearing the entrance to a barn.

• Like 1

imo if this was added it would also be great to have meat ruined in animals if you use a cartridge which is overkill for them. The centrefire guns could cause chickens or rabbits to have no usable meat on them.

and yeah, .22 is really quite quiet according to most combat manuals

Beez and HarryO know what I'm talking about. :D