Sign in to follow this  
zDevon

DayZ from Steam in a few brief and simple steps (No third party programs such as SixUpdater, all in all granting better experience)

This guide assumes you have purchased ArmA 2 and ArmA 2 OA/ArmA 2 CO from Steam.

-> Download and install both games.

Run OA at least once to get a nice BattlEye install.

Download the DayZ mod from one of the available mirrors: http://dayzmod.com/?Download

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead (Windows) and create a folder named @DayZ there. Within that folder, create another called Addons. Extract the contents of the DayZ download into this Addons folder.

Visit http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php/ and download the latest patch (green box, .zip). Once this is complete open it up and run the .exe found inside. Then, open the beta folder found in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta. Copy the "arma2oa.exe" from here and paste it back into your main directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead). You will be replacing the old one.

Next download the updated BattlEye client from http://www.battleye.com/download.html (You'll want the "BE Client for Windows (32-bit)" build under the "v1.61.94945+" bullet).. Find C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\BattlEye and replace the BEClient.dll inside there with the one you've just downloaded.

Now open your Steam library and right click on Operation Arrowhead. Find the Properties option and open "Set Launch Options." Paste this: -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@Dayz into the text field and click Ok.

You're ready to play.

To launch DayZ: Run Operation Arrowhead through Steam and when given the option, choose to run the game as Combined Operations (this is mandatory and must be done every start up!).

Finding a server: Once the main menu loads up click on Multiplayer. Once there click on the Filter option and enter "DayZ" (without the quotes) in the Mission field. Now your list will only produce DayZ servers.

If you run into any trouble, let me know :)

Edited by zDevon
  • Like 2

I've read this and it just makes me want to cry. I spent an hour trying to do the first part last night but failed miserably. Why can't games just do what they're meant to do and then people like me, who find all this stuff so scary wouldn't have to worry. :blush:

This is all well and good if you love manually updating, and not being able to filter proper server options like 3DP and CH.

For everything else there's Mastercard DayZ Commander.

• Like 1

I've read this and it just makes me want to cry. I spent an hour trying to do the first part last night but failed miserably. Why can't games just do what they're meant to do and then people like me, who find all this stuff so scary wouldn't have to worry. :blush:

That's why they invented consoles.....

What makes me laugh are all the graphic "fixes" people keep posting up for the military body glitch and are surprised when it doesn't work for everyone, PC gaming is all about different setups of wildly varying hardware configurations, it must be a mental nightmare to develop for and I can see why so many devs treat the platform as second best.

Ulfhedjinn, I don't understand. I have dayzcommander. How does that help?

Sorry, to be honest as soon as I hear manual update I feel sick to my stomach because I can never get them to work.

Edited by Sula

Ulfhedjinn, I don't understand. I have dayzcommander. How does that help?

Sorry, to be honest as soon as I hear manual update I feel sick to my stomach because I can never get them to work.

DayZ Commander does pretty much everything for you aside from installing the mod, I was just pointing out that for most people it's a better method than the one in the OP. :)

Ah right. I thought you were trying to help with this thread. I'm trying to find LVG's post, which he tells me is magnificently wonderful and if followed exactly, can't fail. I'd like to believe him but you know.....I don't. <_<

what if i'm trying to update the beta patch to a build that doesnt exist on the list, as I am unable to join a server that uses the build 95251,specifically server US 831

though how do you delete beta patches lets say i have just downloaded the 95248 and i want the 95417 back are there specific steps to it or do i just run the new exe.?

also when i launch dayz it says i have the version 95417 even though in the mian directory i have a file named ARMA2oaserver.exe or something and in the description it says 1.62.95.251 which is exaclty the version of the server i want to enter but when i try it tells me i am running an incorrect version help would be appreciated

There are 2 "arma2oa.exe" (executable) files that will start the Game, one is in the main Steam directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead) if you are using steam, the other is in the Beta folder... C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta.

Normally when steam launches it will use the main "arma2oa.exe" located in your default directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead), This is why it is very important to follow these next steps exactly.

Visit http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php/ and download the latest patch (green box, .zip). Once this is complete open it up and run the .exe found inside. Then, open the beta folder found in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta. Copy the "arma2oa.exe" from here and paste it back into your main directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead). You will be replacing the old one.

Now open your Steam library and right click on Operation Arrowhead. Find the Properties option and open "Set Launch Options."

Paste this:

-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@Dayz

into the text field and click Ok.

To launch DayZ: Run Operation Arrowhead through Steam and when given the option, choose to run the game as Combined Operations (this is mandatory and must be done every start up!).

Been working for me with no issues sorry to hear it's giving you guys trouble.

Edited by Retchet187

This is they way I play DayZ myself, never had a problem and manual updates don't take that long, nor hard to do.

A few folks I know that have used the launchers run into a lot more issues then I do, dunno why, don't really care tbh.

I started with Six Launcher then went to manual installs after it Six updated my client ahead of every server, then I tried DayZ Commander and I always use it now simply because it is the tits.

There are 2 "arma2oa.exe" (executable) files that will start the Game, one is in the main Steam directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead) if you are using steam, the other is in the Beta folder... C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\Expansion\beta.

Normally when steam launches it will use the main "arma2oa.exe" located in your default directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead), This is why it is very important to follow these next steps exactly.

Now open your Steam library and right click on Operation Arrowhead. Find the Properties option and open "Set Launch Options."

Paste this:

-beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -mod=@Dayz

into the text field and click Ok.

Been working for me with no issues sorry to hear it's giving you guys trouble.

ok i didnt launch through CO will that fix the problem where the server version doesnt update accordingly?