Sign in to follow this  
Svperstar

Before I buy Operation Arrowhead. Get it working with the free version? Also performance

So DayZ looks right up my alley since I love the Stalker games with a passion.

Thing is Arma2 does NOT look like the kind of game I would enjoy so I am only picking it up for the DayZ mod. I always found the Battlefield games way too slow and Arma looks like Battlefield only slower.

The laptop I am using is a Phenom II 2.6 dual core with 8 gigs of RAM and a Radeon 4250 integrated card. This laptop will play Stalker, Bioshock, and Teamfortress 2 just fine at 800x600 I am hoping this game will run ok. Does anyone have any experience running DayZ on a similar setup?

I am downloading Arma2 Free and planning on getting Operation Arrowpoint seperately. Does anyone know if there is an issue where I have to buy a particular digital version? Can I install OA from Steam on top of Arma 2 Free?

Thanks.

Edited by Svperstar

TF2 is DOOM graphics compared to Arma.

I dont think itll run in 800x600 on that. Maybe bleh! 640x480 with EVERYTHING on very low ha

TF2 is DOOM graphics compared to Arma.

I dont think itll run in 800x600 on that. Maybe bleh! 640x480 with EVERYTHING on very low ha

From what I have seen on youtube Arma2 does not have very good graphics so I assumed it would work ok

It will run exceptionally slow and won't be a v good experience for you. I'd suggest if you want to do PC gaming, you get yourself a gaming PC.

also, you need both the FULL versions of the game to run it. Steam currently has it on sale for $17 or something silly.

It will run exceptionally slow and won't be a v good experience for you. I'd suggest if you want to do PC gaming, you get yourself a gaming PC.

also, you need both the FULL versions of the game to run it. Steam currently has it on sale for $17 or something silly.

According to this you can run DayZ with Arma2 Free + Operation Arrowhead

http://kodabar.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-install-dayz-with-arma-2-free.html

Lol. Go for it then. why are you asking?

The easiest way, one that will require literally no effort whatsoever is to download the combined forces whilst its on special, download the six updater and run it. simple.

If you want to dick about with patches, manual installs, and the rest of the headaches its your call.

Like i said though, tbh I'd be more concerned that you're trying to run this game on a dinosaur piece of shit machine.

Lol. Go for it then. why are you asking?

The easiest way, one that will require literally no effort whatsoever is to download the combined forces whilst its on special, download the six updater and run it. simple.

If you want to dick about with patches, manual installs, and the rest of the headaches its your call.

Like i said though, tbh I'd be more concerned that you're trying to run this game on a dinosaur piece of shit machine.

Well ARMA2 Free is almost done downloading 98% complete so we shall see how it runs.

Well like I thought it runs fine at 800x600 on low quality. Like I said I can run Stalker: Call of Pripyat on this laptop just fine as long as I don't go crazy with DIrectX 10 effects. I'm just wondering how much more intense DayZ is over Arma2.

I didn't realize your player movement is connected to the model. I really dislike movenment like that i drivers me crazy.

I feel like ArmA2 is no benchmark for Dayz, but thats just my experience :)

I feel like ArmA2 is no benchmark for Dayz, but thats just my experience :)

Meaning DayZ runs worse or better?

worse lol, day z brings the best gamming pc's to their knees in cities.