Sign in to follow this  
Ghost Jager

Player-held loot destruction when murdered

So a thread in the General section got me thinking about a way to encourage players to weigh and balance their choice to kill another player and add a reason to not shoot someone recklessly or randomly without punishing bandits.

What if players loose some items they are carrying when killed by another player?

If someone shoots you will an AKM on full auto or other very destructive gun, bullets currently magically miss all of your gear while riddling you with holes and airing out the inside of your body.

My suggestion is to simulate destroyed items due to bullets hitting the player perhaps based on the weapon used and definitely based on where the bullet hits. It would be very interesting to have a certain number of items be destroyed so that the loot is less if you make poor shots on a player (IE not headshots) and thus making it less of an easy way to obtain gear while increasing realism.

This would likely make people think twice before just opening up on eachother and perhaps increase the willingness of players to work with eachother as opposed to just shooting everyone and taking what they have.

This also does in no way impart any sort of penalty outside of reality for your choice of gameplay as destruction of items happens regardless of if a survivor shoots a survivor or a bandit shoots a bandit (now with the removal of bandit skins this is moot however.)

Not sure how feasible or in what manner this could be implemented but if no one suggests things nothing would get done.

There is a fine line between acceptable and annoying realism in games.

This is hovering a foot over that line.

I've been tossing and turning the exact same idea in my head, and I think it would be in general beneficial.

It's also good that it is indiscriminate, and does not punish bandits directly. If a survivor kills a bandit in self defence, they too would have damaged some of the bandits gear.

Like the OP suggested, it should only take affect if you fire at the body, not the head (nor arms or legs). How much gear is destroyed should be determined by how much you are shot, the calibre of the weapon etc. Perhaps certain items should be more likely to be destroyed than others as well.

I think some of the benefits of this would be making trading rather than mere killing a far more enticing option, whilst still allowing the killing option to be perfectly viable.

I'm hoping for more discussion on the option though, I'm wondering how bandits would feel about this, as many of them get gear from killing other players. Perhaps I've understated the effects this will have on gameplay.

Hitting the bag could destroy an item at random, adding a bit of depth if you want to get most out of your murder, but other than that I don't support this.

Feels like artificial way to hinder bandits, which should never be done. At least I get the vibe that you are suggesting a dice roll on the murder if the weapon of the victim and other supplies gets removed, so it's less beneficial for the bandit.

All roles have their natural advantages and disadvantages and that's enough. The bandit killing the players takes a risk of alerting zombies and/or the player's friends. He also doesn't get an ally, which would likely be way more valuable than the supplies alone and save his ass on the long run.

Do backpacks get their own hitbox? It would be funny/awesome to be able to lose things when your bag gets shot.

Headshots should ruin NVGs, I know NVGs are expensive but I don't think they make them bulletproof.

Imagine someone hits one of your water bottles which then slowly starts too lose water or stuff falling out of your back (Sound of dropping ammo or watertrail (like the blood) behind you while running? It could even make enough sound to attract zeds or other ppl) That would be funny :'D