grim_guardian

Hmmmm, need some input.

Hey guys. I've been playing the mod for a little while now, been making youtube videos of it, everything's great! But there are still some aspects of the game that I'm having trouble grasping, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

1) Construction. Assuming construction is implemented into the game, how will these structures be saved? Will they move from server to server with the player? And if that's the case, what happens when two players have a structure in the same spot? :-/ Kinda depressing me, because it doesn't seem possible.

2) Vehicles. Same thing as the structures. If I go through the trouble to collect the parts and repair a car, will I simply lose it if I log out? Not sure how this is supposed to work either :-/

3) Arma 3. When arma 3 comes out will Day Z mod for A2 stop getting support/updates?

4) End game/motivation. I'll admit I've been playing straight bandit, as it's the only logical thing to do. I have no reason to trust anyone, because anyone could cap me when my back is turned. I need some sort of gameplay element that makes me trust other players, otherwise I'm going to be very lonely for the entire time I'm playing.

What do you guys think about all this? I find it kind of depressing, as I don't see a lot of things being successfully incorporated into the game.

1. IF it is implimented..it would be treated as vehicles and tents. And so far, vehicles and tents only save to the server you found or started them on.

2.Your vehicle will save, but only on the server...it will not follow you from server to server.

3. Im assuming it will be moved over to A3.

4.this MOD is in Alpha...your asking too much, its still a concept....and whatever it becomes, is what it becomes. Its not for everyone.

1. IF it is implimented..it would be treated as vehicles and tents. And so far' date=' vehicles and tents only save to the server you found or started them on.

2.Your vehicle will save, but only on the server...it will not follow you from server to server.

4.this MOD is in Alpha...your asking too much, its still a concept....and whatever it becomes, is what it becomes. Its not for everyone.

[/quote']

Lol, I wouldn't really consider asking for a reason not to killl everyone I meet "asking too much". Would you? And being in alpha =/= still a concept. It's a concept first, and then an alpha.

I think 1 and 2 have been pretty well covered.

3 would probably depend on the support tools available. A lot of mod's still release for the prior game for a while as the Dev team starts to investigate building a new system. Eventually, though, assuming it's not a huge pain I would expect it to move over as you'll probably have a lot more options, and obviously engine upgrades are something that can be pretty big in what you're trying to get across.

4. I don't think there's any way to be effective. Since this is as close to a "realistic" approach to a Zombie outbreak as we've seen look at it like this. If you were out there, how could you tell, IRL, that someone was a true friend or foe? You couldn't. You can't see into the psyche of things. You just have to go with your gut. Converse, and decide how to take it.

The only idea I could think of is some type of system that changed your characters outward appearance in a way that wasn't clearly "oh, he's bad!". Like maybe if you've made X choices you might have a twitch, or sometimes if your character is still for a while you'd see some type of "tell". Even that, though, would be hard to do because it'd require new character animations, and you'd have to do it in a way that's so subtle you could only tell if you were looking for it for an extended period of time. Making it super easy to spot would ruin the whole nature of the game.

At least IMHO.

4. If you were out there' date=' how could you tell, IRL, that someone was a true friend or foe? You couldn't. You can't see into the psyche of things. You just have to go with your gut. Converse, and decide how to take it.

[/quote']

That's part of the game breaker for me though. If it were real life, and zombies were really up walking around, people wouldn't kill each other for loot. People do tend to naturally group together and work together during major disasters, you can see it any time something bad happens, earthquake, floods, tornadoes, etc. Think about how much we'd stick together during something apocalyptic like a zombie outbreak! Just seeing another living human being would bring so much joy and hope, there's no way someone would murder someone else just because they were carrying a better backpack or rifle. Well, that's all my opinion. People would group together, and those who don't would probably die of starvation or exposure.

I think you have too much faith in humanity.

In a lot of disasters people group together, because it may be the best choice... but also because they can't handle the morality of acting against the grain, and societies views. They have the urges, but they don't act on them. This is because society still looms even when a disaster happens. There's a level of order. In a situation like this, though, society has broken down. Now the fight/flight instinct takes over.

If you see someone with something you want can you honestly say you've never had a fleeting idea go by to take it? You probably have, but you don't act on it.

This game allows people to be the reverse. To act on them. In a disaster of this magnitude it's VERY likely we'd see a huge spike in the human/human violence, because fight/flight takes over. You have. They want. You don't know who you can trust. Your instinct to survive, at some point, will trump the views you had when society was all around in the form we know it now.

So I completely disagree with you. We don't know the % because we haven't ever seen a cataclysmic event of the magnitude found in Zombie lore/games, but I can say without a doubt, just on general readings, once society breaks down violence would skyrocket as survival and people's moral compass turns into fight/flight.

So I completely disagree with you. We don't know the % because we haven't ever seen a cataclysmic event of the magnitude found in Zombie lore/games' date=' but I can say without a doubt, just on general readings, once society breaks down violence would skyrocket as survival and people's moral compass turns into fight/flight.

[/quote']

I disagree with your disagreement lol. There will always, ALWAYS be society. It just changes. And I think while indeed, the have/want urge is always there, I don't think it trumps the gut wrenching decision to kill someone. Killing someone in this game has no consequences. I know for a fact that the person will simply respawn, probably with more gear than they had when I killed them. In real life...killing someone has consequences. It's an act that sticks with you for ever. It can drive you mad. A majority of people wouldn't have the shoot on sight mentality you think they would.

1. IF it is implimented..it would be treated as vehicles and tents. And so far' date=' vehicles and tents only save to the server you found or started them on.

[/quote']

Lol, I wouldn't really consider asking for a reason not to killl everyone I meet "asking too much". Would you? And being in alpha =/= still a concept. It's a concept first, and then an alpha.

The reason not to kill everyone you meet is the possibility of an ally in the apocalyptic wasteland, which makes meeting goals and doing things significantly easier.

The mod isn't here to hold your hand or try and influence your decisions. The entire point is that rocket simply wants to give you the world, you decide what happens in it. If nobody wants to work together nobody will. If everyone wants to everyone will. He doesn't want to force/encourage/promote either thing happening.

4. If you were out there' date=' how could you tell, IRL, that someone was a true friend or foe? You couldn't. You can't see into the psyche of things. You just have to go with your gut. Converse, and decide how to take it.

[/quote']

That's part of the game breaker for me though. If it were real life, and zombies were really up walking around, people wouldn't kill each other for loot. People do tend to naturally group together and work together during major disasters, you can see it any time something bad happens, earthquake, floods, tornadoes, etc. Think about how much we'd stick together during something apocalyptic like a zombie outbreak! Just seeing another living human being would bring so much joy and hope, there's no way someone would murder someone else just because they were carrying a better backpack or rifle. Well, that's all my opinion. People would group together, and those who don't would probably die of starvation or exposure.

People do bad things.... Look at every major earthquake or hurricane... theres always been looting and murders. You have to dig a lil deeper... You dont think people are capable of it? Look at Riots... Things can go bad quickly.. and given this game is set in a world where society is dead yes... There will always be have's and have nots, when you take away a consequence i.e. LAW and add a motivator i.e. Survival.. it all goes out the window. Your peaceful society fails.