Sign in to follow this  
Phosphorus (DayZ)

Practical: "Gun Zeroing" Needs a tweak!

Currently, rifle zeroing in this game can be drastically altered, in scope, almost instantly by mashing a few buttons. Re-zeroing a rifle scope this quickly is - frankly -completely unrealistic and makes sniping easier than it should be. I would recommend:

A. Fix all scopes to be static (like the DMR) and force players to calculate shots using mil-dots.

B. Add an animation and delay to re-zeroing a rifle. (Much like the generic bandage/cook-meat/blood transfuse animation) to prevent instant range-finding, pinpoint shots.

Zeroing a rifle scope IRL is much more complicated than pressing a button. (http://www.ehow.com/...ifle-scope.html for those of you that care.) I can find no military or civilian scopes that allow for the "quick zeroing" feature we see in the game today. The status quo allows geared players (Rangefinders + zero enabled rifles) to make insane shots with relative ease.

Edited by Phosphorus
  • Like 2

Agreed. The guns are also completely insensitive to any wear and tear.

Aren't some of these pretty easy to knock out of whack in real use?

Aren't some of these pretty easy to knock out of whack in real use?

Eeh ... i think that is usually exaggerated. The rifles i use never had that problem, but other people use mountings that seem to be prone for this. IRL i banged the scope rather unfriendly on a tree or a car, but had no noticeable changes in accuracy. But hey i am only using WWII-crap, dunno about that super fancy stuff.

Edited by Alexey Zemanov

I like the idea of static scopes and forcing mil-dot use. It's what makes sniping so challinging (yet rewarding) in BF3, and it should cut down on the number of people who snipe as well as place greater value on players who can snipe well.

If you know the distance to your target, change this little wheely thingy x amount of snaps and you should be near the dead-center.

Just like we do it in-game. =)

You can definitely recalibrate the zero on rifle scopes without taking your eyes off target. If you know your weapon, and know what range it is already at, then you can feel for the range dial and move it the right number of clicks in the right direction.

If you doubt that this is possible, here is some footage of the Army Sniper Training School in Fort Benning:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxyh-9rj3ys

Edited by ElectroNeutrino

I do feel like most of the long range "sniper" rifles in this game have almost no downside when it comes to player vs. player.

Might be a good idea to make the zeroing less fluid.

The main issue that causes sniping in arma to be so good is simply that the terrain, by and large, has very few features. No ditches by the side of the roads, no little hills or piles of things like you would have in a more detailed map. This, coupled with the horrible physics and movement controls in arma2 cause players to be unable to take proper advantage of the features that do exist, make snipers and scopes king. Poor iron sights and firing mechanics are another issue.

It's not a DayZ issue as much as it is an Arma one. IMO, I'd just get rid of them, mid range fights are a lot more fun.

CQB fights are even more fun. Remove scopes entirely for like a week and see the response. Honestly I think it'd be a more yay than nay response. No more camping in the hills over elektro shooting fresh spawns or camping in the hills NE of the NE airfield shooting players looting it. You want to kill someone you gotta get close.

If you doubt that this is possible, here is some footage of the Army Sniper Training School in Fort Benning:

Sure that is possible. With good gear and some training it might be relatively easy. But for a bank teller or a nurse? Did you ever do it? Ever slipped on your dial and kept wondering where the zeroing might be at now?

Edited by Alexey Zemanov