Sign in to follow this  
Buntfunk

Raising the value of the life of others?

I wonder how much deeper gameplay might get if other players' lifes had more value to oneself.

What would have to change so that players perceive direct value in letting others live?

I can't really think of anything besides majorly pimping group features which probably requires changing Arma code, which certainly is a no go.

So what I am wondering I guess, what kind of quick'n'dirty ideas do you guys have that would make you want to shoot other survivors less.

Do not misunderstand me, I still want shooting others to be very possible, but I want it to be a mucher harder choice!

From the servers I play on, its usually the chat-active players that I don't see get shot as much, or are friendly. If you're having a good time in chat, joking about, they usually cross me as a friendly person. Although I certainly won't shoot them, I'm not going to follow them asking to group up for protection.

group up with people, if you are in a large group lone bandits will be less likely to shoot you, and if you do die you can get your gear back easily

I wonder if maybe some loot is destroyed upon the killing of a player would be implementable.

I hear the ragers now.

Hear me out first.

Bullets are nasty little things, and when they rip through a person's body they tend to destroy anything in their way. It thus could be plausible that some items on that person may get damaged to the point of being useless.

It would be particularly interesting if it could be location-specific item loss.

For instance, say you shot someone with a shotgun in the back - their gear in their pack would be very damaged , however not their on-person gear.

Likewise if you shot them in their front, some of their non-in-pack gear is ruined but their pack gear is ok or not nearly as affected.

Headshots would render no damage to the gear.

Unsure if this could be implemented, but hey it's an idea.

This would possibly deter players from outright pvp and would rather encourage working together or at least making bandits be a bit more careful with how they let loose their bullets.

I wonder if maybe some loot is destroyed upon the killing of a player would be implementable.

I hear the ragers now.

Hear me out first.

Bullets are nasty little things' date=' and when they rip through a person's body they tend to destroy anything in their way. It thus could be plausible that some items on that person may get damaged to the point of being useless.

It would be particularly interesting if it could be location-specific item loss.

For instance, say you shot someone with a shotgun in the back - their gear in their pack would be very damaged , however not their on-person gear.

Likewise if you shot them in their front, some of their non-in-pack gear is ruined but their pack gear is ok or not nearly as affected.

[/quote']

I shamefully admit that I've never played ArmA 2 or anything ArmA related until now, but does this engine have a durability system? It would probably be pretty complex to account for each slot you have on your person.

I completely agree, people who I have talked to in chat tend to be more friendly. On the flip side of that, people are evil and sadistic. They will shoot on site, they will not care about you, and they will not show compassion. As a new character I have been killed multiple times on the beach without ammo or any gear because I failed to find any worthwhile loot. They win nothing but less humanity.

I don't have the heart to kill another human unless otherwise necessary. I still have yet to do so, that may change soon though.

I can't really think of anything besides majorly pimping group features which probably requires changing Arma code, which certainly is a no go.
I think a party and recognized ingame faction system would bring players closer together, or at least make trustin people easier if they accepted. Although, his could cause jerks to party up with people and just kill them, but at least it's something.

Also, having faction systems would probably mean that said factions would reclaim areas from the undead and basically make their own perminent bases, if they got the supplies for it. Having labeled trading areas would encourage random people to try and interact with each other, mostly through the many guards that would inevitably be placed by the factions. This can be done without an ingame faction system already, but it would require a lot of incentive, risk and organization to pull off. Also, a trading screen would be nice.

I hear the ragers now.

Hear me out first.

Bullets are nasty little things' date=' and when they rip through a person's body they tend to destroy anything in their way. It thus could be plausible that some items on that person may get damaged to the point of being useless.

This would possibly deter players from outright pvp and would rather encourage working together or at least making bandits be a bit more careful with how they let loose their bullets.

[/quote']This sounds like it would encourage bandit robbing, which is what they should be doing anyway. Good idea, but durability wouldhave to be implemented... Although, durability is sort of a staple of survival RPGs, anyway...

Maybe offering non-lethal weapons would be a good idea. They would add another option to what is going on right now.

A tazer in the pistol slot maybe and tranquilizer darts for the sniper guns.

Tranq darts could be pretty hillarious, come to think of it. Tranquilized targets could count as dead maybe and you could rob them blind meanwhile...^^

Remove all social features except direct chat.

In real life, the #1 reason I wouldn't shoot you in this situation is because it's f'n lonely out there with just me and the zombies.

With global chat, I don't need you for in-game camaraderie. I can talk to anyone, anywhere, whenever I want.

So shut all that down. The only people you can talk to are those nearby. Want to ask a question or talk about that neat thing that just happened? You'll have to find someone to not shoot.

Plus no global chat would be more realistic / hardcore. Shame about the newbies but whaddya gonna do. Maybe there can be some global chat radios but you have to sit in a station in order for them to work (no walkie talkies, just radio sets). They are oddly plentiful near beaches. (Or maybe "offshore rigs" lets global chat work on beaches but nowhere else.)

In real life' date=' the #1 reason I wouldn't shoot you in this situation is because it's f'n lonely out there with just me and the zombies.

With global chat, I don't need you for in-game camaraderie. I can talk to anyone, anywhere, whenever I want.

So shut all that down. The only people you can talk to are those nearby. Want to ask a question or talk about that neat thing that just happened? You'll have to find someone to not shoot.

Plus no global chat would be more realistic / hardcore. Shame about the newbies but whaddya gonna do. Maybe there can be some global chat radios but you have to sit in a station in order for them to work (no walkie talkies, just radio sets). They are oddly plentiful near beaches. (Or maybe "offshore rigs" lets global chat work on beaches but nowhere else.)

[/quote']

Originally the plan was for no global chat. But rocket had to add it back in when Direct Comms wasn't working.

Once Direct Comms is fixed, global/side VOIP/text will be gone.

Maybe there can be some global chat radios but you have to sit in a station in order for them to work (no walkie talkies' date=' just radio sets). They are oddly plentiful near beaches. (Or maybe "offshore rigs" lets global chat work on beaches but nowhere else.)

[/quote']

That sounds great. I like the idea of radio stations as a meaningful meeting place.