tpenn

Crossbow too ineffectual

The crossbow sounds nice on paper, stealthy, infinite re-use, but in-practice it's a liability.

First, the ironsights are off. Way off. the bolt actually travels much higher and slightly to the left (it's possible to confirm this easily on servers with crosshairs).

Secondly, even at point-blank range the bolts seem to randomly miss (could be because of above, or lag also).

Third, as another thread mentions, the bolts have a tendency to magically disappear or otherwise become unrecoverable.

I really would love to see this weapon work as it brings a unique side to gameplay but at the moment it's almost always going to get you killed, especially since stealth doesn't really work at the moment (zombies seeing through walls, homing missiles etc).

First - the iron-sights don't function like others, you don't judge the aim by the top of the gun but the direction the two parallel lines on the sight are headed then you guess where abouts those lines would cross. But I agree they need to modify the model to include a more accurate sight.

Secondly - if your out of breath, moving or lagging that can occur, if you stay still, catch breath and steady it by holding the right mouse button it should go straight.

Third - Crossbow bolts only vanish on torso shots.

i fully agree, the sight needs improvement... maybe put a scope on it?

I don't see what the problem is with the crossbow, for the past 1000 kills I have on zombies + 1000 headshots, it has been with a crossbow. The crossbow can be used from ranges 1-65m very easily. The crossbow was purposely tweaked to not be 100% on par with the crosshairs.

What you need to do is get a crossbow, go in a area and practice with it against a few walls.

The best tip that can be given is if you're on a server that allows your crosshairs, the right side of your crosshairs is where your bolt will always hit. There is a little arch on the right side that you will use for your hit zone indicator.

The bolts of course are not bullets, they don't fly at the speed of sound you have to practice and time your shots before firing on a zombie, your shots should always be for the head and nothing more, this insures the kill and insures you will be able to recover the bolt.

I agree, Crossbow just needs an improved Iron Sight. If you can effectively sneak up to zombies and whip a bolt into their face it's working like it should IMO.

It doesnt feel right when aiming with it, at all. Atleast make it possible to aim between the top rails, or add two crossbows. One with red dot and one without.

Also, for the bolts. why is there that a short stick take up as much space as a can of beans or bottle? It would really be better if they came in stacks of 5. limit the bolts spawning to save some space in the backpack. It would really be great.

If the crossbow is a 1 hit kill and you can retrieve the bolts than not having the ammo stacks perfectly balances the weapon, in my opinion at least.

The crossbow sounds nice on paper' date=' stealthy, infinite re-use, but in-practice it's a liability.

First, the ironsights are off. Way off. the bolt actually travels much higher and slightly to the left (it's possible to confirm this easily on servers with crosshairs).

Secondly, even at point-blank range the bolts seem to randomly miss (could be because of above, or lag also).

Third, as another thread mentions, the bolts have a tendency to magically disappear or otherwise become unrecoverable.

I really would love to see this weapon work as it brings a unique side to gameplay but at the moment it's almost always going to get you killed, especially since stealth doesn't really work at the moment (zombies seeing through walls, homing missiles etc).

[/quote']

look out for the sway of the zombie as this will mean u will hit there arms at times instead of their torso or u will just miss

It has nothing to do with zombie sway or timing or breath or proximity or ballistics (and most likely not lag either), I can assure you that none of these apply when firing from 5m directly behind a zombie moving with zero transversal.

There is a neon-green upward arrow "tip" which seems like it wants to be the forward sight, but don't ever use that because it doesn't line up anything. I haven't seen anything about "two parallel lines" unless you mean the edges of the rails, but in either case it amounts to more or less guess work.

I'm actually having a hard time finding crossbows *without* some sort of optics:

http://store.hortonarchery.com/Crossbows/

http://www.barnettcrossbows.com/

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/

I really think that bolts should stack to some extent in your inventory. In the same slot that holds a single bolt, I can carry 30 STANAG rounds, each of them more effective. As it stands, no player could engage more than a couple zombies without running completely dry.

Are you sure crossbow hits are one hit kills? I've hit zombies at close range with 2 sometimes and they still don't die.

Also I agree with the multiple crossbow bolts per inventory slot as currently, it is better to grab a weapon with a higher magazine round count. Consider the following example: full inventory of 12 crossbow bolts vs 1 inventory slot of 15 shots of winchester shots. Assuming 1 hit kills with either weapon, the winchester still wins out on number of kills with a single inventory slot. Now couple that with the fact that crossbow bolts have a habit of being irretrievable and that most situations with zombies do not allow you to easily retrieve bolts between kills or the fact that if you miss and the shot goes somewhere into the distance the chance of even finding it becomes nil.

Steel bolts are not one hit kill, only if it is the head, whoever said they are clearly don't use it. The only weapon I use is a crossbow, it was made to be hard to use given that it's such a great weapon for moving around towns without attracting a horde of zombies.

And if you want a scope on a crossbow, then go model it. That stuff isn't easy, it's not something that can be done in a second and thrown right in for your enjoyment.

I really think that bolts should stack to some extent in your inventory. In the same slot that holds a single bolt' date=' I can carry 30 STANAG rounds, each of them more effective. As it stands, no player could engage more than a couple zombies without running completely dry.

[/quote']

+1 THIS

I don't use the crossbow for exactly this reason. Stealth is good but the lack of ammo slots for it makes it pointless. Six bolts take up as much room as six 30 round magazines?!? Never mind shooting in the dark, missing and then trying to recover it.

I think the crossbow should take the place of your handgun slot and leave you with a rifle.

Also, stackable bolts for sure! +1 to you.

Why model a new scope when there's tons of them already in game? No need for an optic scope on a crossbow anyhow. It's basicly a bow. Not a sniper. Adding a small red dot sight would be the best choise.

playing find the hidden object game when trying to retrieve a steel bolt is not fun. Especially since it sometimes is impossble due to bodies clipping through objects and walls.

They need to be on the bodies inventory instead.

Also why does a bolt (or clip) that is loaded in the crossbow (or gun) take up inventory space?

that is dumb and "unrealistic".

Tonic, I think the base weapon and usage right now is perfect, the only major issue that I have with bolt recovery is how the zombie corpses fall inside state objects such as ramps in doorways or walls.

The only change I'd like to see to bolt recovery is the bolt being added to the inventory of the zombie shot for recovery. (This actually happens rarely atm)

Since we can't flip a zombie over to get at the other side or drag it back out of a wall, adding it to the inventory is the less frustrating method.

i would also like to have a better aiming sight + changing the bolts into a "magazine" with maybe 5-10 bolts or so.

I have been using Crossbow a lot. I love it and I like how it needs practice to be useful!

I can successfully shoot to 100m, but usually sideshot to head from 10m is the best to allow best bolt recovery.

I request that you can stack 2 bolt / stack. Because 4 * 2 = 8 bolts...

Why?

Because if you have 6 bolts = 6 slots... It takes a LOT of your inventory. And you can hardly loot a city with that amount of ammo.

Any other weapon you can loot easily 3+ cities with 6 slots of ammo!

And anyways bolts / arrows should be pretty light... So currently you can carry car wheel or just 6 bolts ???

I have to admit, this is why I've never taken the time to use the crossbow. For all of the advantages, there are more disadvantages. The biggest of which is the simple lack of ammo. I usually travel light on ammo, taking only two or three clips so as to allow me more flexibility with regard to load-out and the like.

If this is the intent, that the crossbow be used as a hard-core, stealth sort of weapon... then I'm glad that there is such a plethora of other weapons to use.

Third - Crossbow bolts only vanish on torso shots.

This should be fixed asap. Only advantage of using the crossbow is that you make no sound and that you can (or should be able to) recover your bolts.

Is it me or did the crossbow make more damage to players at the launch week? I remember shooting players down with one bolt to the torso but nowdays it seems to take just around 2k blood away.

Walking up to the north-west airfield and get one silenced MP5 is more worthwhile even with just one magazine(30 bullets over 5 reuseble bolts? fuck yeah).