Sign in to follow this  
NotOnMyLevel23

Computer question!

So ive been posting a few topics about buying a computer. but i figured it might be cheaper to upgrade my computer now.. i have an »HP Pavilion g6-1a67nr Notebook PC. I havent upgraded it at all so if someone can give me an idea on what i need to upgrade to run this on max i would appreciate it! thanks

Notebook and arma 2, seems to me it's a terrible mix. Are you sure you can even upgrade that? I always thought upgrading notebooks was a matter of buying a newer, more powerful notebook.

My suggestion to you is to buy a proper max size power tower PC and scratch those notebooks for pc gaming. Will make upgrading in the future a painless effort.

Edited by Daddy'o

Well i asked the other day about someone maybe referring a really cheap computer that will play dayZ. The only game ill really play on max settings. Im not looking for something that will last the next 2-3 years just something that will play dayz max Now.

Notebook and arma 2, seems to me it's a terrible mix. Are you sure you can even upgrade that? I always thought upgrading notebooks was a matter of buying a newer, more powerful notebook.

My suggestion to you is to buy a proper max size power tower PC and scratch those notebooks for pc gaming. Will make upgrading in the future a painless effort.

I run ArmA2 maxed with v-synch (120Hz@60FPS) on a Notebook. If you're moving around even semi-frequently a desktop is a pain in the arse (don't get me wrong, I would love to have bought a desktop instead but it was impractical for me).

Anyway, you're better off with a desktop if you're looking for a decent price:performance. It's hard to say exactly what spec will run DayZ on max, especially consistantly; it will depend on what you're running in the background and what you're doing in-game as well. It's also hard to suggest any hardware without a set budget. You say "really cheap" but to me, a "really cheap" PC means around £600 which may or may not be more than you were thinking. So, suggest a budget and see what happens.

Edited by Recidivist

That's what most people say about notebooks but if you spend lots of money, your sure to get a future proof notebook.

alright sorry for posting in this thread but i didn't want to create a new thread for something similar

I don't know alot about computer performance and what is great and what isn't but i know that my current pc isn't that great. Someone gave me this list of parts for a pc and i was wondering if it would run Dayz smoothly and it would also help if anyone could let me know if there's anything missing from the list that is essential

http://gyazo.com/72a054a3dface4b72731dc9d0ff53b5f

-The PC parts

I worked quite some time on this topic, especially for people like you:

http://dayzmod.com/f...ecent-computer/

The list the guy gave you isn't too bad, however, I would not go lower than 1600 mhz RAM these days, the coolermaster CPU cooler makes a hell of a noise and I'd think the 7870 is quite overpowered with what you need. 230 is a lot of money for a graphics card. I would rather put the money in a nice Samsung SSD (128GB or 256GB, depending on your budget) rather than an SSD that's so small you really have to be careful on what you install there and what not.

And any decent desktop these days could run DayZ, arma is quite an old game for that matter.

Edited by Svardskampe

I worked quite some time on this topic, especially for people like you:

http://dayzmod.com/f...ecent-computer/

The list the guy gave you isn't too bad, however, I would not go lower than 1600 mhz RAM these days, the coolermaster CPU cooler makes a hell of a noise and I'd think the 7870 is quite overpowered with what you need. 230 is a lot of money for a graphics card. I would rather put the money in a nice Samsung SSD (128GB or 256GB, depending on your budget) rather than an SSD that's so small you really have to be careful on what you install there and what not.

And any decent desktop these days could run DayZ, arma is quite an old game for that matter.

Hmm, skimping out on the graphics card to add a relatively pointless SSD is a bad suggestion. The SSD isn't going to help his performance greatly and will leave him with an underpowered graphics card - you mention CPU bottleneck in your thread but it goes the otherway too. As it is, the graphics card will run DayZ on maximum and pretty much any other game and last for several years. Again, for running DayZ the extra expense of 1600Mhz over 1333Mhz is pointless and isn't going to increase your performance that much. It will help to future the build, sure, but it can easily be upgraded later on and doesn't invalidate the build. The fact that ArmA2 is an old game doesn't mean much; it's relatively unoptimized and DayZ adds a whole load of extra crap that increases that load considerably. You're likely to run several more modern games with better performance than DayZ. Looking at your link you're saying most most PC's hold 16 - 24GB and run 1600Mhz - I'd like to see where you got that from. Sure, most have a max capacity of 16 - 24 and support up to 1600Mhz without OCing, but I'm quite positive most people are still running between 2GB and 8GB on 1333Mhz. There's going to be a very small percentage of people running 16GB or more even at 1600Mhz (we're talking dunking atleast ~£70 into RAM, which only power users will ever do these days). I don't mean to be mean but there's some sweeping generalizations you're making that just don't hold up and it'll cost people money if they take it on board. If we weren't trying to help people who simply want to play DayZ with decent performance I would actually agree with your suggestions but I don't think they are adapted for this circumstance.

alright sorry for posting in this thread but i didn't want to create a new thread for something similar

I don't know alot about computer performance and what is great and what isn't but i know that my current pc isn't that great. Someone gave me this list of parts for a pc and i was wondering if it would run Dayz smoothly and it would also help if anyone could let me know if there's anything missing from the list that is essential

http://gyazo.com/72a...731dc9d0ff53b5f

-The PC parts

That's a pretty solid build there. It's a powerful CPU and a god graphics card, it shouldn't struggle with DayZ at all. I don't know your budget or your requirements but if you're looking to lower the price you can forget the SSD; it won't really help your performance but will lower loading times which may or may not be much of an issue for you. SSD's are great if you're a power user in any aspect, but they aren't at a price point that's reasonable for casual users (in my opinion). You could switch out the G.Skill Ripjaw for Corsair Vengeance for lower CAS timings and possible lower price (I personally much prefer Corsair to G.Skill). If you aren't planning to overclock you don't have to buy the CPU cooler right now, you can always wait until after you build the rig and see if you actually need it, the stock cooler should be sufficient if you don't overclock. You could also get a less powerful graphics card to save some cash, but if you're happy with the price I'd say just go for it. It'll last a good few years and should run most games.

What kind of notebook are you running it on?

I'm running it on a Samsung 700GA which has a i7-2670QM and a AMD6970m. It runs for about £1400 which is about as good as you can get in terms of mobile price:performance. Atleast, it was when I bought it. The AMD7 series and nVidia 6 series came out after I got it, but I'm fairly sure they haven't made a big impact to Notebooks yet. AMD's mobile GPU's are superior to nVidia's so you should wait for AMD 7 series to hit Notebooks.

That's what most people say about notebooks but if you spend lots of money, your sure to get a future proof notebook.

No such thing as future proof notebook....