Runes911

How do servers get their time?

Do servers get their time from the windows clock? I will be playing primarily at night. How can I make sure that the server will be day time?

I would HATE to have to change the windows clock just to get day time on the server, that would screw up my webserver's logs...

haha wow... Really? the servers get their time from the location the server is hosted from, if its hosted in Berlin it gets it time from Berlin, if its hosted in North America, it gets its time from there.. I've seen some servers that have tweaked this though, having the time 3 or 4 hours later than the normal time, giving them longer days :)

you can see if it is daytime or not easily, if its night where you live just find a server that is a couple of hours behind your timezone, like 4-6 hours behind your time, which would give you Daytime ingame until its actually daytime where you live.

Edited by Dawn

haha wow... Really? the servers get their time from the location the server is hosted from, if its hosted in Berlin it gets it time from Berlin, if its hosted in North America, it gets its time from there.. I've seen some servers that have tweaked this though, having the time 3 or 4 hours later than the normal time, giving them longer days :)

Kind of.....

It gets its time from whatever clock the server is set to. If its in Berlin and set to chicago time, it runs chicago time.

Exception is Vilayer that has a little beta client that, on the odd occasion its working, allows the owner to set a different time on a slotted server that doesn't impact the rest of the box.

Servers get their time from the set time on the machine it's hosted on, I believe.

I always thought it was from Windows 2008 server itself? You just change the windows clock and then disable NTP or Windows Time service etc. Then when server starts it use the time stamp of the OS.

I could be wrong of course. :)

I don't think the region is read from anywhere and i dont think the hive determines what time it is on a server. admins?

You'll be lucky if you get on a server with it's proper time though, desync really screws things up.

It uses the timezone on the server box itself.