Heat (DayZ)

Building Character worth?

Howdy there, I had a good thought that I thought I might want to share.

Item worth is already very well established in this game. A player knows the usefulness of NVGs, or of a superior weapon, or a magazine of ammo.

My idea was building worth in the character itself, not just the gear it huffs around. As an example: Let's say that after a certain amount of playtime, collecting items and whatnot, that your character manages to devise a magguffin, or something similar. Other, newer characters would need this magguffin, and therefore either seek you out or aim to kidnap you.

Having some sort of usefulness, or unique skill would give the character itself worth; instead of being shot on sight, one might be kidnapped or protected by friends. The character itself becomes a type of commodity that would be sought after, and highly beneficial to friends or other players.

After a certain amount of time, or kills, or whatever one prefers a character could become something would add worth and variety to the wasteland. Mechanics, doctors, chefs, gunsmiths or whatever; this would encourage team-play, and perhaps make people slightly more hesitant to pull the trigger on sight.

Any skills talked about are purely for demonstrative purposes, I just think that the obvious goal of survival could be modified with an incentive or a reward. Thoughts? Comments?

I'd really like the possibilities this suggestion implies to be explored some more. At the moment, we have plenty of worth inherent in items, but the character itself is little more than a mobile carrying case for these items. Giving unique, obtainable, losable skills to developed characters would give more incentive to survive, as well as a reason to not shoot everyone you see. Perhaps that character has a skill that would benefit your group?