Sign in to follow this  
SilverShades

Was this supposed to happen?

So I started the game up for the first time, joined my first server. It was night and I couldn't see anything. I have read that the servers are real time so I did an inventory check. Had a flashlight, bandage, painkillers and food if I remember right. Spent 5 minutes wandering around and couldn't turn on the flashlight.

Oh well, logged off and connected to another server with daylight. Connected and died during loading??? Well whatever, i didn't have much anyways. But now I have spawned and I have no items at all and see to be running around a desolate wasteland for the last hour, no trees or zombies. Just endless hills. So my question is, how do i get out of here? And am i supposed to respawn with no items at all?

Its a bug. If you respawn it should return you to the coast with starting gear

So I started the game up for the first time, joined my first server. It was night and I couldn't see anything. I have read that the servers are real time so I did an inventory check. Had a flashlight, bandage, painkillers and food if I remember right. Spent 5 minutes wandering around and couldn't turn on the flashlight.

When you open your inventory you can see the flashlight in your toolbelt. Rightclick it and select "remove from toolbelt". This will switch the flashlight to your secondary weapon slot, and your character will now hold it in his/her hands. After that pressin L will enable it. Flashlight only works during night time: You can't have a secondary weapon equipped while you are using a flashlight.

Oh well, logged off and connected to another server with daylight. Connected and died during loading??? Well whatever, i didn't have much anyways. But now I have spawned and I have no items at all and see to be running around a desolate wasteland for the last hour, no trees or zombies. Just endless hills. So my question is, how do i get out of here?

You have just encountered a bug (this mod is in alpha state and bugs occur quite often). The place you spawned in is called Debug Plains, and is located outside the map of Chernarus. You can try running out of there, but that could be quite tricky. The easiest way is to press esc and select respawn. You will lose all your gear, but since you just started, you won't lose much. And respawning is a lot faster than running.

And am i supposed to respawn with no items at all?

Yes, you start the surviving with only a bandage, one box of painkillers, a flashlight and an 8 slot backpack. The starting gear might change in the future though. It has changed a few times in the past already.

Edited by Jukez

how do i know if i can open a door?

When you look at a door and turn your mouse wheel, you will see an option to open it. If the door can be opened of course.

so no indicator :/ im in a town right now but mouse wheel no work on the last 4 doors. i guess i'll figure it out eventually lol

There are only a few types of buildings with working doors. Before long you will know them on sight. Learning by doing is the best way. You'll have a better experience if you stay away from the online maps and stay lost in chernarus until you can sort it out through ingame means. Immerse yourself in the world of DayZ and be rewarded by the adventure.

i think i am screwed :D i have no weapons and i'm trapped in a house surrounded by zombies. I think i will make a run for it.

You're never screwed. Running is always a valid option. Worst case, start over.

Edited by Sarlac