Marat (DayZ)

Incapacitating Weapons and Actions

"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster..."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

I'd very much like to have the ability to incapacitate a foe without killing them.

For equipment, this could manifest in things like:

1) Flash Grenades

2) Rubber Bullets

3) Pepper Spray

4) Any sort of non-lethal etc...

5) A club

I would be nice to build a club out a piece of wood. This would have no effect on zombies, but you could daze an enemy you struck.

I'd also like to be able to shoot someone in the leg to break it, and then to run up to them and perform an incapacitating action on them. If successful, they would get the "hourglass" while I could loot their body quickly.

Although this may seem silly to those that don't think twice about murdering someone in a game, I think this is a crucial feature that is missing because, if there is only the option to kill, then that becomes the default.

What is interesting about this game is the moral decisions one must make in order to survive. Having the ability to Incapacitate a Bandit rather than kill them would make gameplay even more interesting and would provide more options in regards to retaining your humanity.

To give some context, my character was alive for 32 hours without killing a single player. I had been shot at dozens of times, but was able to avoid shooting back. However, once, I was stuck in the Air Traffic Control tower at the Airstrip. Unprovoked, two hostiles (one bandit and one survivor) came assaulting my buddy and me, and they killed my friend. Trapped in the tower, I had no choice but to kill them in self-defense once they stormed the tower. I did not want to fight them, but I had no other choice since I was surrounded and trapped. I did kill them, but I would have much rather not. Ironically, my humanity dropped and I became a bandit.

I'm just saying that whole exchange might have been even more interesting if I was able to incapacitate them instead. Sure, chances are that I would have died in the process, but that was the choice I wanted to make.

I think the very essence of this mod forces you to think about how you want to behave.

Please consider!

If you're stuck in a zombie apocalypse, would you run around with non-lethal weaponry to protect yourself?

I guess it could be a tactical choice, like flashlights taking up pistol slots, but I cannot see much added value. These weapons would be really rare, and useless to most players.

I would think that Flash grenades would be of value to bandits as well.

Rubber bullets could be made from found supplies, so they could be different ways to make your equipment.

Also, I'm saying there should be an action to incapacitate someone, which could be of value to everyone. Imagine, someone runs up to you. You're not sure if they are friendly. So, you incap them, until you ascertain that they are friendly.

My whole point is that if you have a Humanity score, you need to provide alternatives.

You can always try to shoot in non-leathal areas and leave them with bandages to heal them selves when they wake up from being (hopefully) unconscious.

I shot some one in the stomach before with a AKM, they passed out, ran up to them stole their shit, was gonna leave him with some medical gear since i had tones, friend comes up and shoots him in the face.....

It can be done but you might have to bandage them if they are passed out so they don't die...

EDIT: Flash Grenades and some sort of melee weapon would be a nice addition, especially when your out of ammo.

Id like there to be a melee option in general. It'd be nice to be able to knife someone for the silent kill. It be nice to be able to beat back a horde of zeds so you can get a clear shot at a group of them, say with the butt of your gun.

Yeah bcool, that's the idea. But now imagine that if you held someone they could not shoot you when they woke up, so you could talk with them.

So you could shoot them in the leg or stomach, and they go down, you hold em while your buddy grabs his gun away from him so you can be civil. Then, you give him some morphine and as you leave, you drop his pistol for him and run away.

That seems really interesting to me, and adds another level of dimension to the game.

@seannybgoode

The idea of "knifing" someone is pretty stupid (encourages gung-ho CoD-esque play), but I do think a hunting knife should be usable as a (ineffective) last resort. I mean if I was running from zombies, and killed all of them bar one, running out of ammo, there should be SOME way to finish off the last one rather than having to resort to exploits of the zombie AI like running up a steep hill diagonally or swimming across water.

For the club, I was imagining close quarters combat inside pubs and apartments. Someone comes up the stairs and then you hit em.

I think the reason there are so many bandits is because they adopt a "shoot first" mentality, and then they are branded as a bandit and then it begins a vicious cycle of kill and be killed.

Knifing a zombie as a last resort is definitely needed too, but this suggestion is about giving players choices when they meet.