Sign in to follow this  
sixbarns

Keys that can save your life

All of the items below have worked for me and the people I now play with.

Caps lock: This is an easy one. Make sure you've changed your communications channel to Direct. You do this by pressing "," or "." keys a few times until you see "direct communication" on the bottom left of the screen. This allows you to talk directly to people around you. It is your best way to communicate to other players. Typing messages is slow and clumsy and the delay could cost you your life.

left ALT: By holding this key you enable free-look. This allows you to look around and at other players without pointing your gun directly at them. Your characters head also moves. This is useful in dangerous areas as you only need to let go of ALT to snap back into aiming your weapon. Double tapping left ALT locks your character in free-look which can be handy if you're in a safe area talking to other survivors and you don't want to get your head blown off. To exit locked freelook, double tap left ALT again. The number pad also allows you to look around and my be easier to use.

RANDOM KEY, you decide: As much as some of us may think this is degrading, binding your surrender animation can save your life and might just help you make friends in game. Some bandits and players may ask you to do this from time to time. These guys are usually playing just for fun and earning their trust could go a long way to earning their friendship. It not only shows them that you know your controls but also that you're willing to roleplay a little and that you're looking to have fun too. That creates a common ground that you can build on.

To bind your surrender animation to a key watch this video by Acebane: http://dayzmod.com/f...ey/#entry339138

Double Tap left CTRL: This lowers your primary weapon. It is extremely useful as it allows you to look and move around without pointing your weapon at other players. This should only be used when in the company of trusted people or if you and another survivor agree to lower your weapons. Double tapping this key again or pressing your trigger button once will raise your weapon. It takes a second for the character to raise his weapon and this could give you enough time to react to a "friendly" survivor turning hostile.

(This will not work with secondary weapons)

Number pad ENTER: This enables and disables the Third Person view. It is best to use this when exploring and travelling as it gives you a better view of your surroundings. It allows you to see around and over objects which can help prevent unexpected run ins with players and zombies alike. This also helps you avoid shooting your friends as you can see them coming before they turn the corner. Less surprises = less accidental deaths.

Actions speak louder than words. Communicating through character stances can go a long way to building trust.

• Like 10

Nice tips for new and old players alike.

Not really. Any normal person who plays Arma for it's original purpose knows these keys anyway.

You should try that once, its real fun! :D

You...

When you die...

The devil shall stick pineapples up your ass as punishment...

Not really. Any normal person who plays Arma for it's original purpose knows these keys anyway.

There are a lot of new players that haven't even tried Arma before now.

I personally have Direct Voice Chat bound to one of my mouse buttons. Partly because I started back when global chat was on most servers, and switching was annoying and something I'd forget to do. Partly because I find it much more convenient as a button.

• Like 1

I personally have Direct Voice Chat bound to one of my mouse buttons. Partly because I started back when global chat was on most servers, and switching was annoying and something I'd forget to do. Partly because I find it much more convenient as a button.

Definitely recommended. I hated moving my hand from my mouse just to talk.

Thanks for linking my video, and posting a good informative post, Super67! And Johnny now has 4 cans of Beans!(Signature) :)!

• Like 1