Sign in to follow this  
shinjuma@gmail.com

Turn off dropping items while swimming :/

So I noticed this awhile back in the Arma II beta patches:

[93958] New: Dropping items while swimming can be disabled with "enableItemsDropping = 0;" in description.ext

Are the server admins for DayZ allowed to turn this on (set to 0)? Could it be made a standard? I've gone swimming with a zipped up backpack before and my entire contents didn't magically jump out. Also the character models appear to have secure storing locations on the waist and legs that would keep items from falling out while swimming.... More realistic the better!

Edited by shinjuma
  • Like 2

I don't think its about items falling out, I think its more about Items becoming ruined by the water. eg: bandages will become useless when soaked by water

but a back pack doesn't. I haven't ventured into the deep in a while but last time I did my entire back pack disappeared. I can see some items, bandages, matches, but not your entire inventory.

I don't think its about items falling out, I think its more about Items becoming ruined by the water. eg: bandages will become useless when soaked by water

Good point. Makes sense, but I have a waterproof backpack. Shouldn't the higher grade backpacks be at least waterproof?

^^ This

And have you ever tried to swim with a backpack full of canned beans, all your pockets filled with magazines and a huge weapon on your back? Without drowning?

If I could choose to drown or loose some of my beans, I prefer loosing my beans... If you're dead you won't need beans anyway.

Server owners gets to choose whether this feature is enabled or not. :)

Edited by Tiaitchsi

Thanks for that tidbit!

Uhm, I have no record of that reply.

I shouldn't be around the forums when my brain still belongs to the bed.

But yeah, items located in your backpack/pouches should not fall out, since zippers are rather common and not hard to come by nor to administrate.

^^ This

And have you ever tried to swim with a backpack full of canned beans, all your pockets filled with magazines and a huge weapon on your back? Without drowning?

If I could choose to drown or loose some of my beans, I prefer loosing my beans... If you're dead you won't need beans anyway.

NOT all canned food even with the weight of the can vs. contents weight vs. displacement end up with a combined SG >1

e.g.

Tins of sweet corn float.

Tins of beans (in tomato sauce) only just sink.

Tins of beans in tomato sauce with sausages in only just float.

Quick empirical test from tins in my cupboard! ;)

Bandages:

Military bandage packs are water-proof and have significant displacement for their weight.

Chemical-lights:

Float

Water bottles etc - plastic:

Float as normally they are not brimmed totally full and the contents has the same specific gravity as the water outside.

Wood-piles:

Float.

Backpacks:

Many military/civilian backpacks have waterproof bags/sacks, e.g. the ALICE, which it is normal to remove from your back when fording deep water to use as a float – given its total displacement normally gives it a SG <1

Given military Backpacks are between 40L and 100L then for each 1L of displacement will counter just under # 1kg (2.204lb) of total mass.

# = 1kg would be neutral buoyance.