1. It still stands, shouldn't be a perma-ban.. should be a 2 day - week ban first offense.

2. Secondly, An admin's PRIMARY role on the server they host is BEING AN ADMIN.

Not playing.

3. My point about Admins of servers not playing on their own servers is actually pretty logical.

Your wide open to biased decision making, you can not be impartial.

Why do you think police are taken of cases where they have personal connections to those involved.

1. Agreed

2. Agreed, but to say that I cannot play and admin is a load of BS.

3. Who are you to tell me I cannot be impartial, you don't know me. You have no idea what I am capable of.

To say EVERY admin is "not capable of being impartial" is absolutely ridiculous, and insulting.

I gave 1 person a Perm Ban from my server today for spawning a Heli and flying around killing people. People saw it happen, checked the logs, issued the ban. The server is a better place to play now. We will continue to do the same to those found cheating/hacking on the server.

1. Agreed

2. Agreed, but to say that I cannot play and admin is a load of BS.

3. Who are you to tell me I cannot be impartial, you don't know me. You have no idea what I am capable of.

To say EVERY admin is "not capable of being impartial" is absolutely ridiculous, and insulting.

I gave 1 person a Perm Ban from my server today for spawning a Heli and flying around killing people. People saw it happen, checked the logs, issued the ban. The server is a better place to play now. We will continue to do the same to those found cheating/hacking on the server.

2: Never said that, I just said Admins should avoid playing on their own servers so they are not put in a position where they might ban someone out of revenge or because a player found their stuff. Its to protect admins as much as the players.

3: I never told you anything, Don't make it personal because its not about you.

I was talking about the job of being an admin and the risk that places a person in.

Your perma ban for a hacker is totally justified..

dont know why you felt the need to bring it up though.

Your replying to a post that wasn't even addressed to you.

2: Never said that, I just said Admins should avoid playing on their own servers so they are not put in a position where they might ban someone out of revenge or because a player found their stuff. Its to protect admins as much as the players.

3: I never told you anything, Don't make it personal because its not about you.

I was talking about the job of being an admin and the risk that places a person in.

Your perma ban for a hacker is totally justified..

dont know why you felt the need to bring it up though.

Your replying to a post that wasn't even addressed to you.

No post was "quoted", and some of your statements were generalized.

He claims you have a personal vendetta, while you claim he wasn't playing fair.

We have no way of verifying either of your stories.

However, you did acknowledge that he wasn't using a hack, so perma-banning him does seem a bit excessive. Given the nature of his offense, a perma-ban does give credence to his claim that this was a personal vendetta, which doesn't seem like something a nice guy with a full time job, a wife, and three kids would do, right?

So why not give him a 72 hour ban to help him think things over? Even a simple warning\kick would've been good enough to deliver your message.

Zombie bob was near flawless in answering this.

He skirted around a point that I would like to make. The only certainty is that there was a ban given out, I understand your position and why you have done it. It's a horrible experience and I can see why you stretched and found a way to convince yourself that banning was the right call.

However, do you feel really think this was the best move?

You can quite easily lift the ban and you will find that this matter will evaporate.

@AADiC You have to admit that it is very tempting to issue bans out of emotional reasons. With several thousand servers, you have to admit that the chance of this occurring often is pretty reasonable? While you might be above the threshold, it is still a good idea to play on other servers, there's no point in only playing on one, there's plenty of tents to pillage on the other servers too.

@AADiC You have to admit that it is very tempting to issue bans out of emotional reasons. With several thousand servers, you have to admit that the chance of this occurring often is pretty reasonable? While you might be above the threshold, it is still a good idea to play on other servers, there's no point in only playing on one, there's plenty of tents to pillage on the other servers too.

I have been playing online games since about 1996, I have never run into anyone "thinking it was a good idea not to play on their own server".

We have no way of verifying either of your stories.

Okay?

It isn't your job to. You aren't Rocket, you aren't a part of the development team - you aren't even a forum moderator. Your opinion is not the prerogative of the server owner, and frankly, were I him, I would not be cowtowing and responding to any of the blatant drama-loving teenage witch hunters in this thread. Furthermore, without proof, I'm more inclined to err on the side of the owner; I've met far more average players who will disconnect when threatened than I have vindictive server admins (at a ratio of 10:1, I'd say), and as far as I'm concerned - and, I believe, the majority of the people that play this mod - logging out to avoid being killed is absolutely worthy of a permanent ban. If I were a server owner, I'd do it all day long, unless a dev team member told me that my server would be blacklisted for it.

At any rate, I've seen threads like these go unanswered by the developers when they have proof in excess - the accuser here has absolutely no proof, except that he was banned from the server for something. Good luck getting a reply from anybody important.

I have been playing online games since about 1996, I have never run into anyone "thinking it was a good idea not to play on their own server".

Your statement is on a tangent and doesn't contribute to the thread, you also quoted my points, yet didn't answer the first line.

I'll respond anyway: You should play with your clan-mates on your server, but branch out and play on other servers too.

Someone with your gaming experience would attest to how much a game can vary over regions.

Happy to talk semantics with you, but we really should stay on topic.

The point I wanted to make; There was a ban issued, but not for the reason a ban should be given out

Your statement is on a tangent and doesn't contribute to the thread, you also quoted my points, yet didn't answer the first line.

I'll respond anyway: You should play with your clan-mates on your server, but branch out and play on other servers too.

Someone with your gaming experience would attest to how much a game can vary over regions.

Happy to talk semantics with you, but we really should stay on topic.

The point I wanted to make; There was a ban issued, but not for the reason a ban should be given out

I didn't answer " You have to admit that it is very tempting to issue bans out of emotional reasons", because, at least for me, there is no temptation.

No tangent here, I was commenting on how ridiculous I think it is saying "Admin's shouldn't play on their own servers"

This is the first game I have played/been a server admin, that server owners are told what they can/can't kick/ban for. Especially being told that I, as a server owner, can not ban someone for doing something as blatantly obvious of a cheat as leaving the server to get position on me, coming back and killing me.

Anyways, I am going to bed, have a good night.

I think if its a private server you should be able to do what ever you want, but if its on the hive.... Well then.

a0817163-8719-4d02-a220-b38f46f7025b.jpg

Edited by moofactory

Especially being told that I, as a server owner, can not ban someone for doing something as blatantly obvious of a cheat as leaving the server to get position on me, coming back and killing me.

Alpha, Beta and newly released games often have connection issues. Last week I was shot at, pulled back, sprinted down the tree line and killed my attacker. It was commented in direct that I was 'ghosting'. Having one person with me was the only way I was to figure out what happened. I de-synched while he was watching me, appearing to dc. He (reasonably) assumed that I logged, ghosted and then killed him. He was wrong, but we all assume that someone combat logs when this happens, because a lot of the time they do.

I did nothing wrong, I was unaware that I was even having synch issues until I was half way down the tree line. Had my friend not seen me pop in and out on his screen, we never would've figured out what he was talking about.

So as a server admin, you see a player vanish, reappear in a more advantageous spot and he/she kills you. You would ban, correct?

Narrow minded assumptions are far different to 'blatantly obvious'

@ John: I agree on the development responses. While you might support the admin, combat logging WILL be fixed, why bother with being a cowboy and banning someone when you have no proof, risk blacklisting and lets face it, gain nothing. You have little to no shot at running into the same combat logger twice in a row, let alone get another crack at them. All banning gung-ho does is stir the pot and, at worst, encourage people resort to hacks and nuke your server to get back at you.

Edited by Graz

Okay?

It isn't your job to. You aren't Rocket, you aren't a part of the development team - you aren't even a forum moderator. Your opinion is not the prerogative of the server owner, and frankly, were I him, I would not be cowtowing and responding to any of the blatant drama-loving teenage witch hunters in this thread. Furthermore, without proof, I'm more inclined to err on the side of the owner; I've met far more average players who will disconnect when threatened than I have vindictive server admins (at a ratio of 10:1, I'd say), and as far as I'm concerned - and, I believe, the majority of the people that play this mod - logging out to avoid being killed is absolutely worthy of a permanent ban. If I were a server owner, I'd do it all day long, unless a dev team member told me that my server would be blacklisted for it.

At any rate, I've seen threads like these go unanswered by the developers when they have proof in excess - the accuser here has absolutely no proof, except that he was banned from the server for something. Good luck getting a reply from anybody important.

I'm not Rocket, a dev, a moderator, or an admin. You are correct. While my status may not be "important" enough by your standards, anyone who believes in fair punishment may view my lowly opinion a bit differently than you do.

Granted, not every server admin is going to play fair. That's just the way it is. To borrow one of your own quotes, perhaps this admin is one of those who perma-bans alleged bug exploiters "all day long". I'd like to believe that he's not.

Whether the kid gets unbanned or not, it's no skin off my back. I'm just here for the discussion. Temp-bans have always worked just fine in other games I've played (Soldat, UT, even Everquest), so there's no reason to believe they shouldn't work just as well in DayZ.

Edited by Zombie_Bob

I think if its a private server you should be able to do what ever you want, but if its on the hive.... Well then.

a0817163-8719-4d02-a220-b38f46f7025b.jpg

Just curious, do you feel that way for all games, MW3/CoD/MoH/Quake.

I do understand why locking and only allowing "Clan m8's" in would be an advantage. When the game gets out of Alpha, I wont understand if server owners are not allowed to have reserved spots, issue temp/full time bans.

Anywho, I think we have talked the life out of this, have a great day everyone.