Sign in to follow this  
Atanar

About people who instantly disconnect

This is not about why they do it or if it's a nice move to do so, I just want to ask why people call it "using alt+f4". Cause that does not make my game shut down, f4 only acesses some chat thing. The people who do that, do they just use the regular avort/disconnect or do they modify the key binds?

Alt + F4 is a windows command ( not sure if it's the same for macs never used one) to shut down a program, hence it disconnects you by closing down the game client

It kills the game client

Alt + F4 is a windows command ( not sure if it's the same for macs never used one) to shut down a program, hence it disconnects you by closing down the game client

I know that, but it does not work in dayz for me. Just opens a text menue on the left with

0 status
5 replay
backspace
command

Same here; I've never had Alt+F4 work as a "quick disconnect" especially when I needed it the most.

Edited by glendora

The way Alt-F4 opens a chat menu is a recent addition to the game. It was implemented to prevent quick disconnects.

• Like 1

to alt-f4 u have to hold down the function key to activate f4 being pushed not just the button. so u have to hold ALT+FN+F4 to do it (only on some keyboards and mainly laptops)

The way Alt-F4 opens a chat menu is a recent addition to the game. It was implemented to prevent quick disconnects.

That's the answer I was looking for.

All wrong. Alt + F4 only works when you're unconscious on the ground. Why it works that way, don't ask me.

You can't access anything when you're uncouncious, that's why.

And a great addition to the game that is! I had no idea they did that :o

They should make the F4 key unmappable if they already haven't.

Then again, pussy ass "closers" would just remap the comment to another keyset in the Windows prompt or whatever.

All wrong. Alt + F4 only works when you're unconscious on the ground. Why it works that way, don't ask me.

mmm.... sounds like experience :P

All wrong.

It works after you press escape to get to the game menu. So all you have to do is hit escape, then alt+f4 and you're out.

Hotkey commands in Windows are easy to do. There is absolutely nothing a game coder can do to stop someone from shutting down a program on their on computer. To think this would be allowed is just silly. Once again, if they shut down their program to escape you then they're out of your way for at least a few minutes. More than enough time for you to leave the area. If you stick around waiting on them to return well the suffer what ever consequences happen after the fact. If your psychopathic goal was to kill them for the joy of it, well then just pretend they were Morgan Freeman and figured out your ploy before you put their partner's ol' ladies head in a box.

And a great addition to the game that is! I had no idea they did that :o

They should make the F4 key unmappable if they already haven't.

Then again, pussy ass "closers" would just remap the comment to another keyset in the Windows prompt or whatever.

You cannot stop people from instantly logging out unless you force the player to wait 10 seconds to abort, and have the game leave the player's body in for 10 seconds after the client closes unexpectedly.

I don't know how rocket feels about this option, but I really don't see any other way to prevent this particular exploit.

Personally, I've taken every death with honor, even if that death was from a hacker. I also know how to dupe, but I don't do that either. Either of these things would utterly ruin the game for me.

You're supposed to be afraid. If you can cheat death and manufacture your own items, what is there to be afraid of? If you have nothing to fear, what's the point of this game?

Sadly, this puts me at a distinct disadvantage for now, but that's the price I pay for having my own ethical code. No sense crying about it.

Edited by Falcrist

They should leave ALT+F4 working just fine, but keep the player logged in for 30 secs, as its in other 'mainstream' MMO's most of players would think twice before doing this, also when you are hitting abort, it should open window with 30seconds countdown...

this solution would prevent players not getting saved their progress sometimes. I went into supermarket, and it was to late, I had to go to work day after, so I said thats last thing I am gonna do, picked up binoculars, map, matches, some ammo, food and water, and logged out. Day after when logged in, I had no items and supermarket was empty too. I think it was because, I have picked up items, but client didnt sync with servers and then when I logged in, servers thought I have no items on me...

[...] have the game leave the player's body in for 10 seconds after the client closes unexpectedly.

[...]

This.

Easy and quick solve, no down sides. Prevents disconnecting from zed attacks, too. I'd even say 20 or 30 seconds as 10 seconds might be enough to hide and disconnect since it could take a bit for the other player to find you (or the zeds to beat you up).