Winston Whir

Native Linux Support

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what it would take to get native Linux support for DayZ mod. Running a Windows server is simply inconvenient and a waste of money for me (and I'm sure hosting providers too). The Windows firewall simply cannot compare to IPTables (dropping packets at the application level vs. in the kernel), and for someone like me, I like having IPTables to control my server with. I'm aware that DayZ will run in Wine but there is obviously going to be a performance hit with that, and a native application would be much cleaner and would, of course, be more efficient. I'm personally willing to work with the dev team to get native Linux support. In my case, I'm more concerned about support on Ubuntu 11.04+ and would do anything in my power to help make it happen. CentOS is not important to me personally, but I suppose I'd be willing to do anything in my power to help with that too (I only use Ubuntu/Debian, not CentOS/RPM-based distros), but as I said I have more experience with Ubuntu/Debian and would prefer that be worked on first.

Linux is simply more cost efficient for hosting providers and communities, and something like Wine isn't really an option. Wine tends to use much more RAM than a native application would, and I'm sure there is a CPU hit as well - this solution just isn't optimal for hosts and communities trying to get the most out of a limited budget. Please let me know if you would like more information or if I can help get native Linux support in any way. Thanks for your time :)

• Like 1

You'd be better moving this over to the Bohemia forums because the DayZ team (afaik) don't yet have access to the Arma source code.

BiS would be the only ones who could make a Linux dedicated server.