Sign in to follow this  
curiousepic

HOLY SH*T ZOMBIES CLIMB LADDERS

I don't often play at night, but I realized I had spawned on the south coast, and I'd recently heard Balota airfield had good loot. I started on my way, trying not to use any lightsource, and using my star navigation skills to travel East. I had no idea how far it was, but I made this my goal. I also was in the red for thirst and had no drinks, so I'd have to find something along the way (I refuse to refill in the sea).

I stuck near the hills to the North, so I wouldn't be silhouetted from anyone travelling more closely along the shore. I noticed some flares that someone was dropping, and sort of shadowed this guy as he also made his way East. Whenever I came across a town or some buildings, I veered north to stay out of the populated areas, but at one point near a village, I barely made out the shape of a building I knew was enterable. Against my better judgement, I threw a flare far enough away that I wouldn't be exposing myself too obviously, and used the half-light to make my way over a fence and into the house. ALmost immediately after entering, I heard footsteps. SHIT. I spun around, and there was another survivor right in the door. Immediately I said over direct VOIP "Friendly...!" He didn't shoot on sight, but didn't respond. I just went about my business, moved to another room, and saw a soda can right there. Picked it up and drank it immediately. Then over VOIP I tried to make a peace offering: "DO you need any Mak ammo? I've got a bunch I don't need" (I'd come across a dead survivor earlier), dropped a few mags, said "good luck", left the house, and made a bee line for the tree line, my head over my shoulder, making sure he didn't follow.

I vowed to stay even further away from any buildings, but later, in the pitch dark, I still found myself stumbling into a zed infested area - I had to risk a flare, so I popped one and lay stock still as the Zed wandered towards it, some coming so close I could feel their staggered breathing on my neck.Slowly but surely I made my way out, the adrenaline subsiding.

Eventually, as the adrenaline subsided, I noticed the tell-tale curved silhouette of a hanger against the bluish sky. I took my time and approached slowly, making out the fence - I assumed the whole airfield was mostly fenced off, so I'd have to find an entrance of some kind. I made out a building I assumed was a guardhouse, and heard zed stumbling around it. Then, I saw it - a falling star! No, a flare, coming STRAIGHT towards me. I froze, then hit the dirt... did someone see me? Were the friendly, just lighting the area so I could avoid the zed around the entrance? Or was it a bandit, toying with me?

I slowly crawled out of the light, hoping they couldn't see me in the grass. 'I bet they had night vision goggles... Oh man, I'm probably so screwed.' I crawled along the fence - maybe I could find another way in. I sure as hell wasn't going in the front, well-lit entrance. I came across a break in the fence, which was behind the ATC tower. Slowly made my way up to it... I noticed a ladder right there, but I had no idea where the entrance was, and I couldn't risk any sort of light, here. So I waited. eventually I noticed another flare on the far side of the airstrip, near the shore... 'Heh, a clueless survivor. Let's see what happens to this guy... maybe the bandit will think it's me.' He wandered around in the light, and eventually left... hmm.

I heard more zed, but no shots or anything. 'Wait, what was that? I don't think I've heard that sound before...' I hadn't moved for something like 10 minutes, just letting the situation soak in, hoping it would heighten my situational awareness. I heard it again... 'That has to be a player... He must be biding his time, too. Probably the bandit.' It sounded like it came from the hangar area.

I haven't shot another player, ever, and wasn't about to start. SO moments like these are always tense for me. I know I'll hesitate in that moment trying to determine if it's a bandit or not. A few more minutes of silence, and I go impatient and decided to try the ladder, as soon as this zombie wanders far enough away. I listened to his groans grow quieter. Up I went, and with luck I didn't fall down (I didn't have a primary weapon). Growls. 'Shit, that's a zombie.. did I alert it? Was it someone else?' I climbed up the second ladder to the very top, and lay prone, searching for something lootable.

Then I heard the ladder climbing-sound. 'It must be another player, trying to escape that zed!' I pointed my weapon at the ladder, and waited. The climbing sound, again. 'HOLY SHIT IT'S A ZOMBIE!' Pop pop pop pop! 'AAAAH ZOMBIES CLIMB LADDERS!.... OMG... whew' damn. I stood up. POP. Dead...

'GAAAAAAH' One of the most intense releases of pent up tenseness I've ever had in gaming.

TLDR: After a very tense situation, staying silent on the top of a airfield tower, I heard what I thought was a player climbing the ladder behind me being chased by a zombie. BUT IT WAS A ZOMBIE.

For some reason, some ladders they climb, and some they dont (usually rooftop access ladders). For example Deer stand ladders are no problem for zombies.

Heh!

I know there are a lot of players that swear up and down that the zed don't climb... Bullshit. Had half a dozen follow me up a PIPE on the side of a building once.

They might not climb often (I think it can take them awhile for the AI routines to decide which one goes up first) but they WILL climb.

They couldn't climb up to get me in the Berezino hospital for some reason............ deer stand, yeah, I've been clobbered.

Control tower........yep.

I think if they can get a direct path to you (1 ladder) they will climb. If its 2 ladders, like hospitals, they can't path it.

Yeah, I finally decided to go to an airfield for the first time, got a little bit trigger happy and shot down some officer looking zombie .. then legged it up the ladder of the building next door.

Trapped at the top by ladder climbing zeds and the rest that came up the stairs. Woe was me.