Gotham

Locks/Chains

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support this idea?

• Yes, if so how would you use it?
    • No, if not why?

It's a great idea but it can easily be bypassed.

- Find a locked/chained building

- Camp somewhere safe not far

- Log out and log back in to server with locked building

- Voila, stuff is not safe.

Fixed by making it so that locked rooms/buildings can't be spawned in and will spawn you somewhere else near by.

Ive thought about this before, however i dont believe it to be possible in the current engine

It should be possible with the source code though I'm not sure if they're even messing with that.

Fixed by making it so that locked rooms/buildings can't be spawned in and will spawn you somewhere else near by.

Or just make buildings not spawnable in? You log out in a building, you spawn outside of it, period.

I think the day Day Z becomes a standalone game, they should make barbed wire an obstruction rather than a wall by making players and zombies get caught on it and make walking through it more difficult, with cuts and bleeding occurring to player characters. Doors should have the ability to be locked which could either be blown apart by weaponry, making the entrance very loud and apparent, or have a lockpicking minigame that would take from actual lockpicking techniques and make it very difficult as well as require certain tools to unlock, making the entrance stealthier but obviously much more difficult to perform.

I would also add a boarding up entrances as a secondary mechanic into the standalone game making boarding up doors more durable to shotguns, hatches and zombies tearing down the door, however make lockpicking the boarded door have the door open normally, but players have to prone through the nailed up boards. But that's a suggestion for another thread I suppose.

Thank you for improving upon my current idea! Really glad some people can see it for what it's meant to be. I also support your idea for Barbed Wire!

Edited by Gotham

it would be even better if rocket added a way to make a door, and more sandbag/wire like things

something to do with wood, you get some wood and do something to it to make it into a door/small cover ect.

• Like 1

it would be even better if rocket added a way to make a door, and more sandbag/wire like things

something to do with wood, you get some wood and do something to it to make it into a door/small cover ect.

Possible shanty wall? It could be shot down by firearms just like hospital windows, but of course with more health.

Thanks for so much feedback on my idea great to see others agree!

I ate your beans, thanks!To bad a zombie stole them from my dead body though =(

yes good idea.

for the people dcing to move into a locked building, i hope your computer explodes and you can never play again.

anyways, yes, i doubt during a zombie apocalypse people would be like, "WAIT HONEY I GOTTA UNLOCK ALL THE DOORS BEFORE WE RUN AWAY"... so yeah it would be cool to come up on a building and standing in front of a locked door. maybe even have lock picks in the game later that would take a while to use and be really rare.

as for people locking buildings randomly, oh well? shit happens and this would actually be really cool, and honestly a better solution for the random barber wire tank trap door that has 45 different barricades on it. what they should do is have it make noise as well if you "break" it open with a crowbar. that would cause the player to think, do i wanna risk attracting a few zeds just to see whats inside this apartment?

it would be a really cool addition imo, simply for the realism aspect, but yeah they gotta fix the zeds going through doors and stuff first...

as for cars, yes and no. you should be able to lock your car BUT a player should be able to jam his crowbar in the door and bust it open or simply breaking the glass, at which point and time (i know chernarus has old shitty cars but w.e.) the car alarm should go off and before a player can drive away he should have to hot wire the car. sooooooo scenarios

survivor A fixes up a car, saves it at a "safe spot", locks it and goes offline

survivor B finds this car, smashes in the window, alarm goes off he jumps in and starts hot wiring,

zeds nearby hear the alarm, and the alarm brings all the zeds to the yard...

survivor B is surrounded by zeds smashing the car up to get inside while he tries to hot wire

zeds proceed to eat him out of the car because he failed to hot wire

what they can implement is a interface for locks and also hot wires. there is a script for a bomb, it has a timer and 4 wires, you actually have to cut the right wire in order to disarm the bomb. its a really nice script for arma and works perfectly. they could make this as well to where you have to connect a few wires on your screen. this could be random for every car adding challenge to it. to make it even worse make it maybe 5 wires that have to be in the right order for it to start. for the locks they could also use a interface to pick it.

here are 2 scripts, 1 is from arma 1 but works in arma 2 for cutting the wire, the other is for a keypad bomb, just to show you guys its possible.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4761&highlight=BOMB%2BWIRE

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15032&highlight=BOMB%2BSCRIPT

Edited by thedog

Yes but not on cars... so just chains for doors, but cant z's run through them still?

*edit also to stop loot hoarding/blocking allow hatchet/crowbar to remove

Already mentioned in the post you could shoot it or use crowbar to open it without noise

Thedog i clearly stated that firearms would be the loud option making it eaiser to implement and that the crowbar would be the more stealthier but longer of the rwo options. Also that the crowbar would an all around use tool so that it would work on any Lock/Chain. Although I do like the car alarm idea. Issue is no infected in woods.

no infected but think of the target u make urself. in the woods with a loud car alarm and flashing headlights. target practice activate. ye crowbar should be stealthier but banging against a lock with a crowbar is still rather noisy lol

I voted for "no". Why?

Well, first of all, locks in RL can be breaked using crowbars and the hatchets can't they? The axe is a standard item players carry around, so locks and chains would be kinda obsolete... You don't think hatchet should have the power to break locks? Well, how about opening a tin of beans with no can opener? Fucking hell mate...

Also, why is everyone so keen to play it save? Its part of the horror to lose your stuff isn't it? I mean, I am always in distress whenever I lock in whether my stuff is still in the tent or not... this makes the game worth playing, it is made to make you fucking paranoid! And guess what, I am!

The concept is described here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/43984-solution-to-horizontal-load-balancing-and-more/

Backpacks and player stuff disappear with players. Stuff placed in tents/vehicles/lockers will stay in-game. Stuff placed anywhere else will be destroyed during daily server maintenance.

Tents have no locks, so stuff can be stolen by anyone. Vehicles have no boot locks so stuff can be stolen from them but they do have ignition locks, so vehicles cannot be stolen. Lockers, you guessed it, have locks. To access a locker or to start a vehicle, you need the unique key (it’s 21st century, you can’t hotwire a modern car or military chopper). The key can be picked from the (dead body of the) owner.

If a key hasn’t been used for too long, it’ll despawn and spawn in the corresponding lock, granting free access to the locker/vehicle to whoever finds it first.

Buildings work like huge lockers and can store vehicles and stuff. But players need to fortify the buildings before they can be locked securely, which requires gathering a lot of scrap metal, wood and other supplies. Only organised groups can afford creating and maintaining (yes, they degrade and decay over time) secure buildings.

Yes, but there is always a chance of griefing as we are seeing with barbedwire,sandbags if you were to be able to put locks on doors or objects you've placed yourself. But locking vehicles and add lock picking would be cool!

Yes, but there is always a chance of griefing as we are seeing with barbedwire,sandbags if you were to be able to put locks on doors or objects you've placed yourself. But locking vehicles and add lock picking would be cool!

There is always going to be people who grief, that doesn't mean this feature can't do more good then harm. Besides think about it this way if your trying to rob someone wouldn't it cause you grief to have to open a lock to their door? Of course, but is that a bad thing? No! Besides adding locks opens up a whole new set of things to do in-game Ex. Forts!

There is always going to be people who grief, that doesn't mean this feature can't do more good then harm. Besides think about it this way if your trying to rob someone wouldn't it cause you grief to have to open a lock to their door? Of course, but is that a bad thing? No! Besides adding locks opens up a whole new set of things to do in-game Ex. Forts!

Never said it was a bad thing, just worried about what consequences this might bring life too. But yes, I do support the idea of adding locks in-game.

I voted for "no". Why?

Well, first of all, locks in RL can be breaked using crowbars and the hatchets can't they? The axe is a standard item players carry around, so locks and chains would be kinda obsolete... You don't think hatchet should have the power to break locks? Well, how about opening a tin of beans with no can opener? Fucking hell mate...

Also, why is everyone so keen to play it save? Its part of the horror to lose your stuff isn't it? I mean, I am always in distress whenever I lock in whether my stuff is still in the tent or not... this makes the game worth playing, it is made to make you fucking paranoid! And guess what, I am!

First I'd like to thank you for not voicing your opinion in a douchebag way, I greatly appreciate it. Moving on I see where you could think locks are obsolete, you could say the same for barbed wire, tank traps, and many other blocks. The point is it would allow for less ugly map clutter and a simply way to keeps doors, gates, vehicles somewhat safe. Not to mention that the playing it safe idea is how you survive in a horror, you don't see Scooby Doo running around trying slap the bad guy. or the smart people in the walking dead unlocking their paths and allowing everything to free roam into their space. As for your hatchet idea, the thought crossed my mind but I think it would be better fit for the crowbar as it makes a little more sense and would give a use to a useless item instead of adding yet another feature to a multi-featured item.

Edited by Gotham

Never said it was a bad thing, just worried about what consequences this might bring life too. But yes, I do support the idea of adding locks in-game.

Sorry somewhat tired at the moment, I must have misread where you were going. Thanks for the support!

Keep up the great feedback on my idea. I like all feedback good or bad (As long as your constructive about it!)

I would really like to see this in game, but I think it should simply be added to the scroll wheel for all operational doors, if you are on the inside of a door you should be able to lock that door while players on the outside can not. When door takes X amount of damage it is auto unlocked, that way players and zombies can unlock the door and players aren't forced to use a specific item they are free to do what they want. I'm not sure if this would be easier to implement, but it does not include as much new content and I'm all for that, the bare minimum is usually best.

The above wouldn't work for cars and including any type of lock for cars isn't really authentic IMO as they should be so easily overcome that it would be a waste to add. If the was ever hotwired you couldn't lock the steering, locked sterring can be overcome anyway, locking doors is pointless as there are windows.

I thought that boobie traps for use on a car, or other security features like wheel locks or tire locks would be cool. But after trying to shoot out a tire on my car always before logging out I discovered that people will just blow up your vehicle if they can't take it.

The only defense for vehicles as I see it is to provide options for hiding them better, ie cammo net or some type of tent a player can setup big enough to hide the vehicle. The other option would be to allow players to store vehicles in their bases this would be down the road but I think its something that should be looked into and would allow players a way to store vehicles with less threat.

I would really like to see this in game, but I think it should simply be added to the scroll wheel for all operational doors, if you are on the inside of a door you should be able to lock that door while players on the outside can not. When door takes X amount of damage it is auto unlocked, that way players and zombies can unlock the door and players aren't forced to use a specific item they are free to do what they want. I'm not sure if this would be easier to implement, but it does not include as much new content and I'm all for that, the bare minimum is usually best.

The above wouldn't work for cars and including any type of lock for cars isn't really authentic IMO as they should be so easily overcome that it would be a waste to add. If the was ever hotwired you couldn't lock the steering, locked sterring can be overcome anyway, locking doors is pointless as there are windows.

I thought that boobie traps for use on a car, or other security features like wheel locks or tire locks would be cool. But after trying to shoot out a tire on my car always before logging out I discovered that people will just blow up your vehicle if they can't take it.

The only defense for vehicles as I see it is to provide options for hiding them better, ie cammo net or some type of tent a player can setup big enough to hide the vehicle. The other option would be to allow players to store vehicles in their bases this would be down the road but I think its something that should be looked into and would allow players a way to store vehicles with less threat.

The point of having something specific is to gain an advantage, everyone could already access the lock because everyone needs and has a weapon. Also having a door take X amount of damage would loose the immersion feel. Unless of course you mean that the door would be destroyed when shot up instead of unlocked. Also I understand you could break the care window, but it would set off the alarm which by then is doing it's job alerting the infected and players that this car is here and is broken into. Also I honestly think that if it was a scroll wheel option that it would be abused to much to do any good, unlike a lock which would be uncommon giving it the chance to not be abused to much, and still do an equal amount of good.