Gotham

Locks/Chains

91 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support this idea?

• Yes, if so how would you use it?
    • No, if not why?

*If you read anything read this!*

Very simply put locks or chains would allow any player to lock any usable door, gate, or vehicle. They would allow access to only the specific player who placed the lock or chain. Any other player would have to use alternative means to open these locked or chained items.

Anything after this line is personal opinion and can be or should be changed!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option 1:

You can use any firearm to shoot the lock.

This would work as stated you simply shoot the lock and it is removed and once again all players are allowed access to this locked item. Now you may ask why even bother with this option if you can so easily remove the lock? My answer is that it provide the mental option to players to decide "Is it worth attracting the infected around me, or even possibly alerting players to my location?", "Is it worth the ammo, with no possible loot return?", "Can I even hit it from here?". or even "Do I have enough time to do it in X situation?" All of these thoughts must run through your mind before you take the shot or you could suffer the consequences. Also the thought had went through my mind of making it so that locks required more then one shot depending on weapon tier. It would go something like this...

High-Tier Pistols (G17, M9, PDW) 2-3 Shots

Low-Tier Pistols (Makorov, M1911, Revolver) - 3-5 Shots

High-Tier Rifles (M4A3, AKM, M4A1, All LMGs, All Sniper Rifles) 1-2 Shots

Low- Tier Rifles (AK-47, AKS-74, M16A3, Lee Enfield) 1-2 Shots

Shotguns ( Winchester 1866, Remmington, etc.) 1 Shot

*All numbers can change*

Option 2:

Using a crowbar to pry off the lock.

Using a a crowbar would allow for a stealthier or quieter removal of a lock. The downside is the player must have the inventory space, the time, and have the knowledge that they are vulnerable to attack while in the process of removing the lock. The removal time of the lock would be equal to the time it currently takes to remove a tank trap or barbed wire. The inventory space needed would be equal to that of a tent or jerrycan. This option may seem much better at first but the player must prepare beforehand with the possible thoughts. "Will I be safe in the entire time I remove this lock?", "Do I have the inventory space for the crowbar?". "Is it worth the time to find a crowbar?" All of these are thoughts that you should consider, or once again your could suffer the consequences.

Now when it comes to rarity of a lock I would hope that it be somewhere along the lines of a bear trap. They would be not as common as barbed wire or tank traps, but be plentiful enough where you would come across them enough where as they don't become a pain to find.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please vote as it lets me know how people like the idea, and could possibly allow Rocket an easy way to determine this as a possible addition to the game!

If you took your time to read this I thank you and hope you can leave a comment below for any suggestions you may have or just show support by giving me some beans!

If you didn't read my whole post don't bother posting.

Suggestions from the comments:

I think the day Day Z becomes a standalone game, they should make barbed wire an obstruction rather than a wall by making players and zombies get caught on it and make walking through it more difficult, with cuts and bleeding occurring to player characters. Doors should have the ability to be locked which could either be blown apart by weaponry, making the entrance very loud and apparent, or have a lockpicking minigame that would take from actual lockpicking techniques and make it very difficult as well as require certain tools to unlock, making the entrance stealthier but obviously much more difficult to perform.

I would also add a boarding up entrances as a secondary mechanic into the standalone game making boarding up doors more durable to shotguns, hatches and zombies tearing down the door, however make lockpicking the boarded door have the door open normally, but players have to prone through the nailed up boards. But that's a suggestion for another thread I suppose.

I believe this would go splendidly well with the underground areas I have heard rocket talk about. Where he's going to give us the tools in the future to make our own underground areas. Also combination locks, or keys would make the locks a better idea, so that multiple people can use something like a guild chest or something.

I would definitely like to see locks and chains that can be found and used to keep doors, gates, etc. closed. These locks can have HP and zombies and survivors alike can attack them until they break.

Just make buildings not spawnable in? You log out in a building, you spawn outside of it, period.

*Fixed*

As for cars, yes and no. you should be able to lock your car BUT a player should be able to jam his crowbar in the door and bust it open or simply breaking the glass, at which point and time (i know chernarus has old shitty cars but w.e.) the car alarm should go off and before a player can drive away he should have to hot wire the car. sooooooo scenarios

Survivor A fixes up a car, saves it at a "safe spot", locks it and goes offline.

Survivor B finds this car, smashes in the window, alarm goes off he jumps in.

Zeds nearby hear the alarm, and the alarm brings all the zeds to the yard.

Survivor B is surrounded by zeds smashing the car up to get inside.

Zeds proceed to eat him out of the car because he failed to unlock the car.

Edited by Gotham
  • Like 9

I like the idea all those metal gates ive beem itching to barricade now have purpose.

Would you suggest it be longer then the current time it takes to place barbed wire?

Edited by Gotham

Good suggestion, it may need some tweaking though. First it would be nice to have zombies not glitch through everything. Locking doors from zombies would be nice, I don't know if I like the idea of any random player being able to block doors from others, seeing as the only places you can get loot is from the buildings you can enter. I cant see how locking vehicles would work seeing as one could break a window or just hot wire the car, seeing as most cars in the game are salvaged and I doubt they would have the original keys to work them.

Buildings already seem to be blocked off by barbed wire, I'm simply adding a less ugly and more easily solvable problem. If a player wishes to enter the said area all it requires is a simple shot to the lock, or the uncommon crowbar to pry it open. Although an ease to open without the crowbar it blows your cover to use a firearm and you could aggro zombies or alert nearby players to your location. Unlike barbed wire in which you need to find a toolkit and deal with the issue of a very limited spot you can destroy it from if not at all if this area is behind a wall. Although the idea of zombies not being able to open locked doors presents an even better reason to add them!

Also to go along with the car bit, I guess this is where you could see a fault, but as unrealistic as it may be you don't see very many players breaking car windows, and the lock would be for the doors of the car and or the storage unit located inside it. This would just once again be a minor setback and would allow for a possible reaction to someone hijacking your car.

Edited by Gotham

My personal use for the lock would be a hope to re-create a survivor safe haven in Elecktro/Cherno aka a fort.

Edited by Gotham

I would use it during raids if you could take them back off.

I would use it during raids if you could take them back off.

Are you implying using them on tents, or just preventing your cars from being stolen?

Im pretty sure people are going to start locking stuff up like apartments... Exactly like a barricade.

It's a great idea but it can easily be bypassed.

- Find a locked/chained building

- Camp somewhere safe not far

- Log out and log back in to server with locked building

- Voila, stuff is not safe.

I like the idea. I mean, even in the worst case scenarios, its only going to be a easily removable form of barbed wire. Not many ways this could go wrong, especially if its rather rare.

The dcing to move to a new area would have to be fixed to work right but why would a player waste time switching servers if he/she could shoot it..

Hence why they would be rare. and not eaisly obtainable. or tke up more then one inventory slot

Lock chains: NO.

Why: LOCK EVERYTHING

Its a nice idea but i see to many trolls doing what i just said.

However as pointed out would be must easier to get rid of, as well as add a use for the weak crowbar.

Edited by Orthus

However as pointed out would be must easier to get rid of, as well as add a use for the weak crowbar.

Hence why they would be rare. and not eaisly obtainable. or tke up more then one inventory slot

If those were implemented i guess it wouldent be that bad, but with the state the game is in now. Some troll hacker would f**k everything up.

If you could easily shoot it off / use the crowbar to open it, what's the point in having it? Firearms are everywhere. This will make no difference, other than defending a vehicle / building against noobs without guns.

Locks/Chains would in short allow you to lock/chain any doors, gates, or cars within the world. The player who placed the chain/lock would be the only one able to access the door, gate, or car normally. All other players would use a firearm or a crowbar to shoot/pry the lock/chain. This would allow for or encourage larger camps within cities or even "forts", allow for safe storage of cars or loot trucks, and even causing the death of others because their vital loot route, or escape route is cut off and then must take time and effort to remove this block. Not only this but it would add a vital use for the crowbar, because of course you don't want to alert yourself to any infected or players in the area or even waste ammo on something that isn't trying to kill you.

Suggested Trait of Lock/Chain:

5 second timer on use

Spawn Rate:

Industrial Spawn = 6-9%

Military Spawn = 2-4%

Residential Spawn = 0.5%

Edit: Please depending on if your answer Yes or No in the poll, leave a comment with your reply to the question following. I would like to know how they would be used or should be tweaked, or even why it's a flat out bad idea!

Ive thought about this before, however i dont believe it to be possible in the current engine

i believe this would go splendidly well, with the underground areas i have heard rocket talk about. where he's going to give us the tools in the future to make our own underground areas. also combination locks, or keys would make the locks a better idea, so that multiple people can use something like a guild chest or something

Edited by ZombifiedShark

No - there's already too many people putting up barbed wire fences all over the towns at the start. Adding locks would only further enlarge this.

People seem to not understand that if locks were so eaisly placed but not removed they would become a major annoyance like barbed wire, my hope would be that it could replace it in places. Not only this but the downside to shooting it is aggroinng infected! This could mean to that with lower grade weapons that it wouldnt break in 1 hit. Mabye you would need a Lee Enfield class rifle or Shotgun to do it.

People seem to not understand that if locks were so eaisly placed but not removed they would become a major annoyance like barbed wire, my hope would be that it could replace it in places. Not only this but the downside to shooting it is aggroinng infected! This could mean to that with lower grade weapons that it wouldnt break in 1 hit. Mabye you would need a Lee Enfield class rifle or Shotgun to do it.

I think the day Day Z becomes a standalone game, they should make barbed wire an obstruction rather than a wall by making players and zombies get caught on it and make walking through it more difficult, with cuts and bleeding occurring to player characters. Doors should have the ability to be locked which could either be blown apart by weaponry, making the entrance very loud and apparent, or have a lockpicking minigame that would take from actual lockpicking techniques and make it very difficult as well as require certain tools to unlock, making the entrance stealthier but obviously much more difficult to perform.

I would also add a boarding up entrances as a secondary mechanic into the standalone game making boarding up doors more durable to shotguns, hatches and zombies tearing down the door, however make lockpicking the boarded door have the door open normally, but players have to prone through the nailed up boards. But that's a suggestion for another thread I suppose.

• Like 1

I would definitely like to see locks and chains that can be found and used to keep doors, gates, etc. closed. These locks can have HP and zombies and survivors alike can attack them until they break.

Edited by jay.pis