Sign in to follow this  
Viper1107

On the subject of Barracks

As a fairly new player, I'm a little bit confused. My friends and I have been told that the barracks is the best place to get loot. We headed up to the NW airfeild, so my questions are this-

-Are the barracks just those two 4 room buildings?

-Is it really worth it? All we found was stuff we would find in barns

-Does the fire station up there spawn loot better than the firestations further south?

Anything else we should know about getting high teir loot?

The firestation up north has no better loot than the others. Drops as always luck based, the advantage of NW Airfield is that there's just a lot of spawns. If you found the same stuff as you would find in barns you got really unlucky, the two go off different loot tables and the chance of getting the same stuff is small.

NW Airfield is one of the most camped area's in the game. Be extremely cautious and don't go there at night (especially not on hc servers) for some people have night vision goggles. My favorite place to get good loot is Elektro, it has two firestations that are relatively safe. Often there's calls in chat if people are near and the danger you face from snipers almost exclusively comes from the sniper nests (fire a sniper round outside of those nests and you're quickly swarmed by zombies). The market in Elektro has a lot of "residential" loot spawns, making it the best place to loot a tent. In my opinion tents are absolutely essential, it's no good going on a looting spree without a place to stash it.

Elektro is a hot zone but in my experience people are learning to value their humanity. If you're a survivor you have a ton of possible allies whereas at NWA people are more high strung and less trusting of their fellow survivors. Even if another survivor decides to trust you his greed might just get the better of him. All in all I prefer Elektro if only for the higher presence of other players.

NE Airfield is another place you can check out. It's less populated and there's a chopper spawn there. It's a less long walk and on the way there you pass a hospital, a market and an office building with "office" loot that is near guaranteed to be empty.

Here's a sheet that will give you some more information on what spawns where:

http://picacid.com/arma2/loot_en.html

Finally DayZmod.info is a great place to gather information such as tips, tutorials, maps and the like.

As a fairly new player' date=' I'm a little bit confused. My friends and I have been told that the barracks is the best place to get loot. We headed up to the NW airfeild, so my questions are this-

-Are the barracks just those two 4 room buildings?

-Is it really worth it? All we found was stuff we would find in barns

-Does the fire station up there spawn loot better than the firestations further south?

Anything else we should know about getting high teir loot?

[/quote']

Yes, the barracks are the buildings with 4 rooms and a hallway.

Imo, it's worth it, everytime I make the trek to NW airfield I at least find an assault rifle of some kind. Just be careful of bandits (sprinting across the runway is usually a big invitation)

It's not necessarily the barracks/fire station that always spawns the best loot, it's just that certain buildings including those will spawn items under the "military" category. To be honest, at NW airfield I've had much more success searching the hangars or firestation. I usually find an AK74 or yesterday I found the AK74 Kobra.

So to answer your other question, all of the fire stations will spawn similar loot, if you want to know exactly what your chances are of getting something, try googling "DayZ loot cheat sheet" or "DayZ loot tables". It'll give you exact percentages of how often certain items spawn. Other than that, just be aware of what buildings spawn what type of loot. To maximize my chances of finding high tier weapons/ammo, I make sure to stop by every deer stand that's on the way to my final destination.

Happy Hunting

I would like to see Rocket spawn higher tier weapons at Deer Stands. As it is, most people are rolling around with low tier weapons and the server hopping bandits have all the goodies.

But hey, it's his vision, who am I to criticize?

Head for deer hunting towers. They're dotted around the map and are listed as 'military' for loot too.

There are a number of locations where 3-6 deer towers are within a few minutes walk of each other. Much safer than the airfield, and closer to the coast. Go via these and a few churches / warehouses and by the time your reach the airfield you'll be kitted up well that it won;t be worth the risk to run past the snipers.

Zero477 is pretty much on the money here!

More spawn points = greater chance of getting good loot.

Deer stands are excellent too as they are less likely to be camped. There's a group of 3 near Stary Sobor and another group of 3 down south near Kamenka, you can do runs in between them all to get good loot without the necessary danger of towns. To force the loot to respawn, loot everything, move away from the deer stand then drop the loot, go do the next one and the next one then return and you should find the loot has respawned for you.

I have found the best approach to NE Airfield is from the hill on the NE side of it. With binoculars you can scout the entire airfield and if you're in a group leave 1 or 2 people up on the hill to provide cover for the people going in to loot. Make sure you have plenty of slots free in your backpack if you do go in and as always keep an epi-pen in your backpack so if you get knocked down your friend can loot it from your pack and revive you. Same goes for blood bags and other medical items. We have stopped carrying as many on our person so we can carry more smoke grenades and ammunition since we found the above tactic to work pretty well. You have to be quick with the inventory though!

Deer stand locations: http://dayzfans.com/wp-content/images/deerstand.jpg

Hope this helps! happy hunting!

Loot is over rated, this isn't WoW. You just need a Winchester, Hunting Knife, and Matches. Mostly its who ever spots the other first. A assault rifle isn't going to do you much good when you can't get ammo regularly for it anywhere.

Those with the best loot usually seem to live the shortest lives.

Just as a quick note: It is true that NWAF has the most spawn spots for military loot, but the reason the Barracks are told to be the "best" spots is because they are the very few areas that spawn certain items. NVG's, for example, are ONLY spawnable in the two NWAF barracks, as well as the Dragonuv SVD Camo. Check the loot sheet that was linked by Zero477, and you'll see some specific instances. It also has a chance for ammo crates, the 5.56 having 20 STANAG mags and 10 STANAG SD Mags, the 7.62 having 10 mags for each major rifle (DMR, M24, and SVD Camo), and a .11% chance for a M107, if you really feel like sacrificing a backpack ( I don't personally) for a rifle that'll pulverize anything.

So really, you can ignore them for the most part for safer areas, but if you want a specific item that only the barracks spawn, well, you're stuck hoofing it to the NWAF and trying to avoid getting plastered. So try to stay safe in the other areas for the most part, as Zero477 mentioned. It's far safer to risk the other areas that are far less contested than the NWAF, the NEAF will likely be the best spot, as it's so out of range few dare travel there unless they spawned on the NE shoreline.

Best of luck!

Regards,

HardTarget

Were the buildings placed by the mod or native to Arma 2's Chernarus? If it is the former then several more barracks could be placed at the constantly vacant North-East Airfield.

All of the clutter and barricades and blown up shit is from the Dev. The barracks are there in the vanilla Chernarus.

BUT! You can place all sorts of buildings in the editor. Rocket could put down a giant Mosque on a mountain and spawn tanks in it if he wanted.

Loot is over rated' date=' this isn't WoW. You just need a Winchester, Hunting Knife, and Matches. Mostly its who ever spots the other first. A assault rifle isn't going to do you much good when you can't get ammo regularly for it anywhere.

Those with the best loot usually seem to live the shortest lives.

[/quote']

Yeah but it's fun to find loot.

I have an M249 and it makes getting hordes of zombies to chase me and my friend AMAZING amounts of fun, It's also great for player contacts. Popping shots with a winchester got boring after the first day. I am now on a quest to find NVG's and a silenced M4 to go with my M9SD so I can become a fully fledged creature of the night.

i think rocket should implement dungeons so we can team up and try to get the epic rare gear from the bosses.

otherwise i am demanding my money back.

i think rocket should implement dungeons so we can team up and try to get the epic rare gear from the bosses.

Have fun trying to get money from a guy you didn't give any to.

How many barracks buildings that spawn loot are at the NW airfield? I know of the one just west of the main hangars but I've only been twice and I haven't explored the south part of the NW field.

There is one in between the two sets of hangars and one on the SW side.

So basically, you have to brave the AF to get a good gun.

I'm in favor the tank spawning mosque on top of Black Mountain, or you know, a couple more barracks or just changing the loot table to give some chance of an M4 with ammo somewhere other than the 2 barracks.

I would like to see Rocket spawn higher tier weapons at Deer Stands. As it is' date=' most people are rolling around with low tier weapons and the server hopping bandits have all the goodies.

But hey, it's his vision, who am I to criticize?

[/quote']

Agreed, I think high-er tiered weapons should be available at Deer Stands. Would alleviate some of the problem of server swapping lie you said, and the non-dynamic nature of bandits just camping fixed spawns as bait.

Don't get me wrong, there should be a threat to going after good loot like there is now. But it should be rewarding to players who aren't willing to go to slaughter.

I've always wondered, and never received a definite answer. Is the NWAF the only place where the barracks building is found or is it found elsewhere as well?

Irony is difficult subject :D

Yes, they need to remove the concentration of high end gear, make it more spread out and reduce the chance rare gear will drop signifcantly. As is, server hoping for items is an annoying problem.

Irony is difficult subject :D

/facepalm

It's not irony, it's sarcasm...

Irony is: taking a shit but ending up with the shit taking you.

Yep and sarcasm doesn't translate in text well without smilies......something that has more or less been agreed upon ever since smilies were invented.

As for the barracks.

For now they only exist at the NW AF, but you can place them or any other building you want in the editor so if Rocket wants to keep them in barracks there is nothing to keep him from adding more.

All that trash and debris and stuff in towns was put there by him sooooo...........

Yes' date=' they need to remove the concentration of high end gear, make it more spread out and reduce the chance rare gear will drop signifcantly. As is, server hoping for items is an annoying problem.

[/quote']

What is worse is that when there's only two barracks, it's easy as hell to block them off with irremovable barbed wire emplacements. Having the barbed wire being able to clip through solid walls but only being removable from the very bottom of the metal posts is rather shitty.

Just remove barbed wire. It doesn't stop zombies and dickheads will just server hop to get into your FOB.

I think the best idea is to have the deer stands spawn the rare loot, just make the chance even lower then the barracks. That way there is still a reason to congregate around the airfield for some PVP action and quick loot. Or safer way, but take longer to find the loot.

Also, this may be fixed when he fixes the heli spawns in 1.5.8, those are supposed to spawn the same loot as barracks, according to the loot spreadsheet floating around, the spawn chances are even higher.

Just cop'd a sick M16 Acog with a shit load of ammo,.. Holy cow this gun rules, and I have never encountered a single bandit so I guess my Irish luck is working out hahaha.