Sign in to follow this  
RaduPhantom

Any tips?

Im downloading arma 2 right now, so im new.....actually, this is my first topic/post. Any n00b tips for a good start? Where do I go first? What if I see a player and he dont see me? I say I'm friendly? I kill him if I can?

Thanks ^^

Stay awsome,

Radu

First thing to do is to scavenge . I would recommend chernarus or elektro on a server with low population WHEN you watched gameplays.

If this is your first time and you never watched a gameplay try to spawn in a small village and loot it . In the beginning you can disconnect to avoid a zombie dead but when you get better stop it , i t destroys the game.

Well everybody says they are friendly. They are NOT . Someone will hate me for that but kill everybody who isnt your real friend or steam contact.

And if you got nothing with you then try to say friendly when he/she saw you.

Good luck ;) .

Edited by Sureksots

i agree with sureksots, SHOOT THEM unless you know them irl, or atleast have them on skype/steam/facebook/whatever

I often do this : 1.Loot Cherno 2.Loot Balota ( A Airfield) 3. Head Nord ( Means going nord ;) ) Search a DayZ Map on Google if you want .

find matches, hunting knife, hatchet, water bottle. Congratulations, you've won dayz

There are a number of new-player guides on this forum; see the sticky list of helpful guides, here.

My advice: Don't worry about staying alive too long during your first few lives. One of the best things you can do while you're learning the basics (e.g., how to navigate the inventory, how to pick up items, basic movement controls) is to learn the zeds' aggro parameters. Find a small village with buildings you can get into (you can enter only a small percentage of the buildings; generally, the ones you can see into are the ones you can get into) and try to make your way in. Experiment with movement speeds and stances (prone, crouched, standing) to see how and when the zeds notice you. Keep an eye on your visual and auditory monitors on the right side of the screen.

Having a better feel for how close you can get to the zeds, and how quickly you can move around them, will be very helpful; I spent way too much time being overly cautious when I first started, thinking the zeds would aggro on me from very far away. In certain scenarios they can see you from a great distance -- running across an open field, for example. You'll learn what these situations are like. But you can get a lot closer to the zeds than you think you can, especially if you're in the grass and crawling fully prone.

So dig around those small villages for a while and learn the basics. You might even pick up some minor gear. A hatchet is a priceless tool for a new life. You'll start with no gun, so if you can find a hatchet you'll at least have some way to defend yourself -- and it's actually not a bad weapon, as it's completely silent and has unlimited "ammo." (Note that the hatchet is actually just a model for a gun. It does have ammunition, and it does fire "bullets" -- it's just that they have a very fast drop-off rate. You can hit a zed with the hatchet from as far away as a couple of meters; you don't have to be right up next to them.)

Once you have a hatchet you can take a shot at looting Cherno or Elektro, the two major cities along the southern coast. A lot of people will tell you not to use an out-of-game map, but I don't agree with them, especially when you're just learning your way around. My two favorite maps are the ones hereand here. You'll start finding better loot in the cities, although there are going to be more players there, and more zeds. Most players will kill you on sight, although some will ignore obviously new players (i.e., those carrying no weapon or only a hatchet). Avoid them if you can.

If you can get your hands on some food and drink, you can try to move north. Cities also have hospitals, which have morphine, which can (inexplicably) heal broken legs. Broken legs happen a lot, so morphine is pretty handy. To get into a hospital you'll need to break the windows, which you can either do with your hatchet or by throwing an empty can at them.

I'm starting to get into the guides' territory now, so I'll stop. I hope this helps. One last thing: try not to get too attached to your gear, because you will lose it -- repeatedly. You will die many times in your first few hours playing DayZ; don't worry about it. This is just the learning curve. Try to approach it like you're just learning the game mechanics and the layout of the map. Once you get the hang of those two things you'll start getting better gear, which will allow you to move north into the forest and to some of the more distant settlements. It's a big map.

Have fun!

I often do this : 1.Loot Cherno 2.Loot Balota ( A Airfield) 3. Head Nord ( Means going nord ;) ) Search a DayZ Map on Google if you want .

I do the same :) The north west corner of cherno has a hospital and 5 apartment blocks to loot, Should give you at least a Makarov with some clips and some medical supplies needed to look Balota.

After that head anywhere you like and pick stuff up on the way

Check out these video's they're really helpful when you just started playing:

Quick start in Cherno:

Quick start in Elektro:

As a newbie your biggest concern should be zombies, spend your first few lives learning to evade and lose zombies. Once you get a feel for zombie behavior focus on loot, use a loot map if you wish, but figuring out the places with the best (low-to-mid level) supplies is fairly simple. Then you can worry about other players, how you want to handle them is your choice.