-MadTommy

Dayz is a mod for ARMA!

So many seem to not realise Dayz is simply a mod for a hardcore military simulator called Arma!

Arma is and never has been for the main stream gamer... its complicated, has a ton of keyboard commands, has unique features & interfaces and is designed to be realistic.

If you come here as a console gamer.. be aware you have a shit load of adjusting and learning to do.

So many come here and complain about elements of Dayz that are simply features of Arma.. I personally would never buy a game for a mod without playing the core game 1st.

Arma has a demo & free to play version.. play these 1st. Its engine and game dynamics are like no other game. Read the fing Arma manual.. watch the very helpful Dayz Guide videos on youtube.. and take responsibility to learn the game yourself.. Arma is NOT a game you can simply load, and jump on without familiarising yourself with its commands and interface. Play the Arma tutorials...

This community is very helpful...and will try and help new players. But do the above 1st before complaining about Dayz/Arma.

That is all.

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 3

Its engine and game dynamics are like no other game.
Ain't that the truth.

But seriously, you have to realize a few things OP, people can be very mislead when they see videos on YouTube or read a few posts about action packed DayZ experiences.

Besides this website, if you Google DayZ you get a slew of YouTube links that show the more "entertaining" elements of the mod.

I agree it is kinda... asinine to buy a game you know nothing about simply for a mod. But in all fairness people tend to get swept away in a hype storm.

Good call on the demo link.

Ain't that the truth.

But seriously, you have to realize a few things OP, people can be very mislead when they see videos on YouTube or read a few posts about action packed DayZ experiences.

Besides this website, if you Google DayZ you get a slew of YouTube links that show the more "entertaining" elements of the mod.

I agree it is kinda... asinine to buy a game you know nothing about simply for a mod. But in all fairness people tend to get swept away in a hype storm.

Good call on the demo link.

Yeah i understand.. hence why i think this post or one like it should be a sticky/pinned!

I come from from playing Arma 1 & 2 for years.. so for me it was just another free mod for my much loved Arma series. Didn't hear or know about any hype.. i'm oldish and don't exactly have my finger on the social pulse!

I was wanting to warn new players as much as tell them to get their fingers out of their arses :)

Sadly the people you are trying to reach with this will likly never read it:( And if they did they would still come here and rage and leave "I quit" posts, because many people dont even know what a mod is anymore, moreso if they are console gamers.

Sadly the people you are trying to reach with this will likly never read it:( And if they did they would still come here and rage and leave "I quit" posts, because many people dont even know what a mod is anymore, moreso if they are console gamers.

You are right.. but i felt better after getting off my chest! :rolleyes:

But in all fairness people tend to get swept away in a hype storm.

I agree, here. I just received a gift on steam and I'm downloading Arma as we speak. The main reason I wanted Arma is indeed for DayZ. I hope I find some time between work and a dozen of other games to play the normal game too.

I think the people you're talking about is the "CoD" gamingtype who wants the fast paced shooter action.

Well, Dayz is a survival game and surviving isn't about running around and quickscope! :)

I think the people you're talking about is the "CoD" gamingtype who wants the fast paced shooter action.

Well, Dayz is a survival game and surviving isn't about running around and quickscope! :)

Therein lies one of the problems. Being dubbed a "survivor" game doesn't offer much insight as to what there is to expect. Damn near every game is a "survivor" game. I personally have yet to find a game that revolves around dying. I mean think of all the games that have a "survival" mode, and it is just waves of whatever continuously coming after the players.

Arma 2 wasn't exactly the most popular game on the market, OFP and ARMA are a niche market and has never had a HUGE base compared to other mainstream games.