Stealth Pyro

Map of your adventure after death

It would be cool if after you die, you are shown the entire map of Chernarus with lines drawn that show the path you traveled throughout your life. Example below, I had to link because the image was too large to attach. The different colors show the paths you traveled in days 1/2/3 etc. of your survival. It would be great if the outline also had a small number over each area where you killed zombies/human players that shows you how many you killed. This idea would help players learn where heavily populated areas are and help them plan out their next adventure, where they can venture out to new locations they haven't seen yet.

http://cdn.overclock.net/6/62/600x581px-LL-622d7074_lifeinchernarus.png

I'd actually like to give some credit to "pengs," who sparked the idea by posting the above image on a forum to share his latest long adventure.

This would be an awesome idea!

Thanks, I thought it was :) I'll be making a few additions to the original post if I can think of anything else for this specific idea.

How about a diary or some log item....you can view it after you die....Better yet leave that diary on the person when they die so other people can see when they loot! Well if they chose to have a diary

This is a great idea. Unfortunately, I imagine this would be very computationally intensive, so it would likely be some time before it would become feasible given how unstable the servers are to begin with. Once the mod can accomodate the new influx of players and it's moved on to beta, this would be a great feature to pursue.

This is a great idea. Unfortunately' date=' I imagine this would be very computationally intensive, so it would likely be some time before it would become feasible given how unstable the servers are to begin with. Once the mod can accomodate the new influx of players and it's moved on to beta, this would be a great feature to pursue.

[/quote']

Well, if it was client sided then it wouldn't matter because it's just your pc doing the calculations. Not sure if that's possible though.

^ It would be the server doing that stuff so it would be kinda hard right now....keeping live track of dozens of people would not be possible right now.l..didnt really think of that lol

Would be nice, but you would get a mess of lines if you played for a long long time and then died.

This is a great idea. Unfortunately' date=' I imagine this would be very computationally intensive, so it would likely be some time before it would become feasible given how unstable the servers are to begin with. Once the mod can accomodate the new influx of players and it's moved on to beta, this would be a great feature to pursue.

[/quote']

I really don't think it would be all that intense. Think about it: the server already saves your location every X amount of time, does it not? Every time your position is saved, a point would be placed on your current character's map. When you die, your client would simply fill in the lines connecting all the points. The day 1/2/3 would simply be drawn according to the timestamps for each save update.

Would be nice' date=' but you would get a mess of lines if you played for a long long time and then died.

[/quote']

It would be quite messy, but still cool to keep as a trophy :)

^ It would be the server doing that stuff so it would be kinda hard right now....keeping live track of dozens of people would not be possible right now.l..didnt really think of that lol

Why does it need to be server-sided? I only want my own map, so why wouldn't it be able to generate it client-sided?

Rabbits and zombies are already generated client side i think? [they disappear of you relog while running].

Rabbits and zombies are already generated client side i think? [they disappear of you relog while running].

I don't think they are client-side. My friends all see any animals that we come across, which means the server put those animals there for all players to see and kill.

Would be nice' date=' but you would get a mess of lines if you played for a long long time and then died.

[/quote']

Not necessarily. Assuming it is shown on the map (I don't know how else it would), you could zoom in pretty far. The in-game map is quite detailed.

I really don't think it would be all that intense. Think about it: the server already saves your location every X amount of time, does it not? Every time your position is saved, a point would be placed on your current character's map. When you die, your client would simply fill in the lines connecting all the points. The day 1/2/3 would simply be drawn according to the timestamps for each save update.

I'm more thinking of the data that would accumulate over the course of hours, days, or even weeks. Multiply that by tens of thousands of players (and who knows how many more) and what you have is a non-trivial amount of data.

As a disclaimer, I am not a dev and truly have no idea how practical such a feature would be, but I am trying to show how it's not a good idea at this time where simply getting a connection to a server is a challenge. Mostly it's icing: not required to make the fun and playable, so I don't see this becoming a real option until much farther down the road. Once the important stuff is taken care of and server infrastructure has caught up with our needs, I'll email Rocket myself with this idea!

The hardest part, but probably the most important, would be a way to save the map for posterity. After all that work, getting to see it once after you die and then have it gone forever would be a real downer.

[/quote']

Not necessarily. Assuming it is shown on the map (I don't know how else it would), you could zoom in pretty far. The in-game map is quite detailed.

I'm more thinking of the data that would accumulate over the course of hours, days, or even weeks. Multiply that by tens of thousands of players (and who knows how many more) and what you have is a non-trivial amount of data.

As a disclaimer, I am not a dev and truly have no idea how practical such a feature would be, but I am trying to show how it's not a good idea at this time where simply getting a connection to a server is a challenge. Mostly it's icing: not required to make the fun and playable, so I don't see this becoming a real option until much farther down the road. Once the important stuff is taken care of and server infrastructure has caught up with our needs, I'll email Rocket myself with this idea!

The hardest part, but probably the most important, would be a way to save the map for posterity. After all that work, getting to see it once after you die and then have it gone forever would be a real downer.

As a developer (not of BI), I can safely say that it should not be a big deal. The amount of data you're processing and storing is very small. The sever processes way, way more information just to handle you moving around the world than it would ever process with this.

Plus, since this is just sugar, not anything that impacts gameplay, it could safely be calculated client side.

I am not, however, an ARMA modder/developer so I have no idea how ARMA itself works. Anything easy can be made very hard depending on the implementation. The problem itself, however, is not a complex one.

Being able to save out an image of the map (or just hit printscreen) would be pretty sweet.

people have suggested logs before. this would come in handy in a "map" section.