Chillisix

Stashing Stuff?

Is it possible to stash stuff in the world and come back to it later?

Yes it is, you will need to find a tent to do this. They can be deployed on open ground and allow you to store items on that server only.

Other people can find and loot your tent so hide it well.

you can also just drop your loot from your inventory, but again people can find and take it, and if the server crashes good chance your loot will be gone, and ofcourse like macenzie said its only for that server

From all my experience with arma 2 i should be there on the ground until the server crashes or restarts, if anyone else knows better please chim in here. but in every domination map there always crap laying around 4 hours after ive dropped it

By default, dropped items dont despawn in ARMA, but DayZ has a cleanup routine and its a bit unpredictable. Sometimes your stuff left on the ground will disappear fast, sometimes you can find it after a pretty long time, but dont rely on it, definitely not for stashing valuable stuff.

I've seen rocket posting something about underground caches that should be invisible to other players. That would be cool and I hope it will be implemented in future versions.

You can also put your things in vehicles, but you better get them working and drive away from where you've found them.

If you drop something and walk away (not sure how far, usually when I go out of visual range to do something else) it will disappear.

FOSTY is right. Placed some gear on the beach, went huntig for about 5 minutes i an radius of 500 Meters and when I returned, those items already disappeard.

If you drop something and walk away (not sure how far' date=' usually when I go out of visual range to do something else) it will disappear.

[/quote']

That sucks. Glad I read this, I was just planning a solo raid on a couple of barns, was gonna leave some nonessentials behind in a hiding area so as to have more room to haul possible loot from the barns. But I guess that is not gonna happen now.

I hope this is changed so as to allow more realistic tactics, because you know that in a real world (sans zombies) scenario one would not necessarily take all his food etc. with him on raid for additional supplies.

Tents stay persistent. You can put a tent down, and put stuff in it. It'll stay across server restarts, (As long as your character saved before the server restarts). Things you drop on the ground are effected by the cleanup process that runs on the server at intervals that i'm currently unaware of. So in otherwords, be safe and leave your shit in a tent. Tents can hold ALOT. Your gambling by leaving stuff on the ground.

I have a tent hidden away on a server that has all my extra shit in it. When I need to get something, I log into that server, and do the run to my secret hiding spot, hope no one found it, and loot my tent.

Thanks for your responses.

Looks like i better find a tent, i assume the tent will dissapear imediately on my death?