Sign in to follow this  
LoStIt

I have a cwappy PC, what to upgrade first!?

What you should know by now is that my PC isn't the best.

I get constant freezes trying to play ArmA, even on the main menu (1 second to do something, 4 seconds freezetime :().

Framerate is at an average of 0.5fps (just a guess).

I want someone to look at my specs and tell me what is the major problem in this and what I should upgrade first

It's probably my CPU, as it has 50-60% usage while idle and the worlds are huge in ArmA.

Specs:

- GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5670 1GB GDDR5

- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66Ghz

- Mobo: ASUS P5QL PRO

- RAM: 4GB

If the major issue is the CPU, would I be able to play DayZ with this GPU or not?

Thx,

LoStIt

upgrade your motherboard and cpu you gpu/video card is good. could be better, but good.

i run with a radion hd 3870 several down from you and don't notice much difference. you probably see it better than me, but like most things switching to a 6 or a 7 gen would probably give you better results. i run a i7 920, like my video card, getting there with the age, but yours is older, and not much of a cpu doing any load. cpu means a lot for your system. which - take a deep breath - means you might think about getting a whole systems upgrade. everything of your computer is old, a new cpu means new mother board a new mother board might mean new ram. things to know when upgrading, how much can i keep. ram - you should check with your chosen mother board to see if you'll need new ram. after that you have to choose which cpu would best suit you.

the new ivybridge processor seems to be the best choice go with an i7 for overall power and preformance. after that i leave it up to you to go shopping around seeing which would best suit you. price or other. like many things look around depending, you might be best to roll in a new computer if your not computer savvy.

Try this also http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html to shut down programs in back that you don't have to have running. How long has it been since you've ran defrag you should be able to run game on low to medium settings no problem also if your launching with six launcher close that window once your in.

I also have an older machine.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93GHz

MoBo: MSI P6NGM-L LGA 775

Memory: 4GB DDR2

Video Card: XFX NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

I can run DayZ with the following settings:

Quality Preference: High

Interface Resolution: 1280x720x32

3D Resolution: 1280x720 (100%)

Texture Detail: Normal

Video Memory: Very High

Ansiotropic Filtering: Normal

Antialiasing: Disabled

Terrain Detail: Normal

Objects Detail: Normal

Shadow Detail: High

HDR Quality: Normal

Postprocess Effects: disabled

Interface Size: Large

Aspect Ratio: 16:10 - Wide

V-Sync: disabled

I also had to increase the size of my hard drive's page file.

Hope this helps you find the right settings for your machine.

the new ivybridge processor seems to be the best choice go with an i7 for overall power and preformance. after that i leave it up to you to go shopping around seeing which would best suit you. price or other. like many things look around depending, you might be best to roll in a new computer if your not computer savvy.

Wrong. Go with i5 for gaming performance, as you will get higher clocks on less cores/threads. Additionally, Sandy Bridge OC's much better than Ivy Bridge, so if you're looking to get high clocks, go SB, not IB.

Try this also http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html to shut down programs in back that you don't have to have running. How long has it been since you've ran defrag you should be able to run game on low to medium settings no problem also if your launching with six launcher close that window once your in.

Defragging NTFS is useless unless your HDD is absolutely full. Also, once the game is loaded into main memory, the HDD does virtually no work. Try a full reformat if you have a ton of shit on your computer eating memory and bandwidth.

Depends on your money situation. If you have a good amount to spare go for a good i7 or i5... if not go for a x6 amd and a decent nvidia mobo that supports amd/geforce graphics. I have 2x gtx 460's, amd x6 3.6ghz (6 core) 16gb memory with 1200watt psu and it only ran me around $700... good deal if you ask me

I can't even play it with every single setting on low.

I can barely even move and the main menu is still very laggy.

Visibility is also set to the lowest possible...

UPDATE: I have found that a windows service (PresentationFontCache.exe) was omnomnomming on my CPU.

I disabled it and now the game runs smooth!

:D :D :D :D

I'm running a core2duo with 4gb of ram and a nvidia 8800GT. Runs fine on my PC. Not max settings or anything but playing with the settings it should run without any FPS issues.. Otherwise somethings wrong.

Edit: Guess I should have read last message :) Congrats on finding problem! Enjoy the game :D

Edited by seanc