Sign in to follow this  
commandercaleb

A few questions regarding server owning

A few days ago I purchased a DayZ server, so far it has been very well tons of players online too!

But just to be on the safe side I want to make sure that I am not doing anything wrong, so I wanted to ask some questions.

1: My server currently does not have a automatic restarting system yet, I manually restart it about every day or so, some times every five hours, as well as I do not have a message that appears saying the server is restarting because I don't know how do that, is all of that okay?

2: My server hasn't yet updated to the newest beta patch, I plan on updating it today but what if I did not? what would happen?

3: My server randomly has these terrible lag spikes where the connection freezes and everyone stands still, is there a way to fix that?

That is all my questions for now, thanks for those who reply.

Sincerely, -Caleb.

Automatic restarts are common, but there isn't a rule that says you need to do this. Generally speaking, automatic restarts are a welcomed feature compared to seemingly random restarts initiated at will by the admin. What's important is letting the players know when the automatic restarts will happen by adding an MOTD.

To say something to all players, change to the Global Channel and then say something. The global channel is only available to you after you've entered the admin password in the Sever Control menu.

As far as the patches, if you don't update then people who are running different versions may not be able to join.

And for the random lag spikes... who is your provider? There's not a lot you can do other than bring it to their attention. Hopefully someone else will have some more helpful information about this.

Pretty much what OhBilly is saying here is good. I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.

It's really important to restart your server every 4-8 hours depending on the load. Giving users notification of when you're doing so will make them happy and more likely to return. It's jarring to some to just have a server "lose connection" for seemingly no reason. You can notify them through RCon or if you have direct access to the machine, I'd suggest setting up BEC and it's scheduler. It's a useful fine program.

Our community's servers are running the 1.62 beta right now (95168) and will update to 95208 today. As long as it's BE support, I'd recommend being on the newest betas.

As for the lag spikes, this could be your ISP. However, lag spikes can also be caused by hive access. Its not unusual to see a few very very short "timeout" spikes here and there when watching the server with HLSW. It's the way the hive communicates with the game. This is another reason why it's important to restart, aside from the low server FPS DayZ usually has, which can cause time dilation if it dips too low.

• Like 1

Also don't forget to rotate logs. There's a script someone wrote on these boards somewhere. I rotate mine once daily, late at night.

• Like 1

Rotate logs????

Yes the console logs and more so, the BattlEye logs. They can grow exponentially over time. It's just safe to rotate them nightly. My server is usually full during daytime hours and the logs after a 24hr period are about 250-300mb large. Imagine that over a week's time.

Essentially what the log rotater does is, stops your server, moves the logs into a designated folder and then starts your server. The result is the server creates new blank log files. It also helps significantly for studying logs for issues and hackers. It's not exactly easy to open a 1GB log file in Notepad++.

Edited by Lith